Strong Customer Authentication - **Now delayed** changes to online verification

Options

Comments

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    Certainly with FD you can switch back to the physical key, although they will move heaven and earth to try to dissuade you.

Indeed. I found this on FD's website:
    If you wish to change from a Digital Secure Key to a Physical one, you'll need to call us on 03 456 100 100 and we'll arrange that for you. Please note - it can take upto 15 days for a Physical Secure Key to arrive in the post.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nicholas wrote: »
    I thought that Santander quickly withdrew this after customers rang and complained.

And what has having a digital secure key from HSBC group got to do with anything? Anyone using online banking with a physical key is not being forced to have a digital key. Sure, they are pushing it, but not forcing it on anyone as far as I am aware. M&S bank is the last one in the group to be introducing a secure digital key soon, but all they are saying is that you cannot use the app without the digital key. You will still be able to keep the physical key and use that for online banking.

You'll only be able to have one Secure Key, either Physical or Digital, not both.
  • Nicholas
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    You'll only be able to have one Secure Key, either Physical or Digital, not both.

I know. And the digital secure key will be linked to one phone only. All I am saying is that anyone can keep their physical key, not ever get a digital key and never be forced to download the app. (Unless of course, banks change their minds sometime in the future).
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know. And the digital secure key will be linked to one phone only. All I am saying is that anyone can keep their physical key, not ever get a digital key and never be forced to download the app. (Unless of course, banks change their minds sometime in the future).
    I can't wait to get rid of my last physical secure key gadget. Using the digital one, and using the app for many of the banking transactions instead of online banking, is so much easier.
  • Nicholas
    Nicholas Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 September 2019 at 11:23AM
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    I can't wait to get rid of my last physical secure key gadget. Using the digital one, and using the app for many of the banking transactions instead of online banking, is so much easier.

I completely agree. I resisted the change for the last couple of years, but now I've changed I am won over. Especially the secure key on the FD app, the numbers are so large and easy to see compared to the fiddly physical key. And if I want to check first thing in the morning if a certain transaction has happened, it takes less than 10 seconds from the second I pick the phone up.

I think the battery in my M&S key is not too far away from failing. I'm just using the M&S app for the time being (don't need to do anything much). As soon as the digital key is available, I will have the full set. (FD, HSBC and M&S).
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    I agree the First Direct digital secure key is excellent but the only slight downside of course is that if you lose your phone you cannot log on to desktop banking until you either get a new phone and a new digital secure key by calling them or by getting a new physical secure key in the post
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,405 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    I agree the First Direct digital secure key is excellent but the only slight downside of course is that if you lose your phone you cannot log on to desktop banking until you either get a new phone and a new digital secure key by calling them or by getting a new physical secure key in the post
    If you have another device this can be done quickly and easily. I keep backup device for this purpose, and other more important reasons.

This, of course, isn't a disadvantage vs the physical secure key as that can be lost/broken too.
  • Nicholas
    Options
    18cc wrote: »

That is indeed a downside. My wife and myself share a joint account at FD, so apart from our individual regular savings accounts, everything can be accessed from either signon. So in this situation we will have a backup signon if that happens.
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 769 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That is indeed a downside.

It's not really a 'Downside', it's the whole point of 2FA - if you haven't got all of the bits, you don't get to access the account.

If there's an alternative method of accessing the account if you lose your phone, then that's the method the fraudsters will use.
  • mr_jrt
    mr_jrt Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just because it's related, I received an email a couple of days ago stating that Nationwide are going to be blocking Windows XP and Vista from the 30th of September, and just in case that was a dealbreaker for you, not to bother leaving as "This will also apply to other building societies’ and banks’ online banking in the coming months."

Goes on to mention that whilst Windows 7 is fine for now, you should think about installing Windows 8 or above, with the implication they'll start blocking that after January 14 2020 when Windows 7 goes out of support.

No mention of what happens if you're using anything other than Windows.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback