Top Cash ISAs Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why has the ISA limit been raised, but not the cash ISA?
  • gunmaker
    gunmaker Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Why has the ISA limit been raised, but not the cash ISA?

The cash ISA limit has been raised. It went up for the over 50s from £3600 to £5100 last October 6th. The limit for 2010/11 will be £5100 for everyone.

The stocks and share ISAs also have a limit of £5100 making a total of £10200.
  • gunmaker
    gunmaker Posts: 96 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2010 at 8:53AM
    Options
    Santander still advertising its Flexible ISA @ 3.5% in today's National Press.

Advising to visit local branch today to open.
  • I want to open up a cash ISA and I know Santander/A&L is best rate. However just tried to apply and you have to go to branch! Why?! I'm sure u could apply online last week. Who is nex best??
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who is nex best??

Have a look HERE.
  • Lokolo_2
    Lokolo_2 Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I want to open up a cash ISA and I know Santander/A&L is best rate. However just tried to apply and you have to go to branch! Why?! I'm sure u could apply online last week. Who is nex best??

It seems many people have been able to apply by Phone too, why not try this way as it's a freephone number and saves time spent going into branch, it also means you don't compromise on the interest rate :j
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    gunmaker wrote: »
    Santander still advertising its Flexible ISA @ 3.5% in today's National Press.

Advising to visit local branch today to open.

I opened one in branch this morning.

I was told that I had to fund it today, but pointed out that lots of people, including my partner, had opened one without funding it, and that the form you fill in to open it specifically asks if it's being opened for 09/10 or 10/11 - staff member went to check and came back confirming that I could open it without funding it.

It was also confirmed that even if I didn't fund it until after April 6th, it would still be at the 3.5% rate, as long as it was opened today.

(For the eagle-eyed who spotted that I previously mentioned already having an as-yet-unfunded one - it's my partner's. Newly-opened one is for me.)
  • ensher
    Options
    aaronmanz wrote: »
    It seems many people have been able to apply by Phone too, why not try this way as it's a freephone number and saves time spent going into branch, it also means you don't compromise on the interest rate :j
    Hmmm... been holding on the phone for a long time now and it's an 0845 number. At 2pm I got through to Santander who promised me a callback asap saying they could take my phone application today (rate goes down to 3.2% after 9pm tonight is what they said) but with no reply at 5.45 I thought maybe I'd better try again. Got that Freephone number to hand please?
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    ensher wrote: »
    rate goes down to 3.2% after 9pm tonight is what they said

Phew, opened one at lunchtime today.

I was in the branch last week, ready to open this account and was told that I had to have an appointment!! Even though I would be transferring money from an A&L account, so they knew who I was!

After trying to persuade the assistant to open an account, (with no luck) I asked how long they would need for this appt and was told 45mins :eek: I'd still need my passport, NI no and proof of address. I was offered a couple of appts, even Sat 3rd(!) as they were 'very busy' but luckily I went for today by taking a long lunch hour.

How long did this take? 15 mins... They has already printed out all the accounts I have with them and I was asked two security questions. No need for any ID

Having jumped through all of these hoops to open the account, they seem to be happy for me to do the work of transferring the funds on 6th April on line myself.
  • pennyshahin_2
    Options
    Hi I've already got an A&L ISA so will I get a 3.5% or 3.2% rate or will it be low as I've already had it for a year.?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure