Top Cash ISAs Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Hi should I transfer 5,100 into A&L account which already has 3,600 in it or will it be a low rate as I've already had it for a year.
    If you mean an A&L Direct ISA, the bonus rate only lasts for a year, so check what you are receiving now.

You could always transfer both to a different provider, as A&L's Direct ISA only offers a decent rate for balances of £9,000+.
  • pennyshahin_2
    Options
    Hi thanks for help, I've got 3,600 in A&L and another 5,100 to put in another ISA which leaves me about £2,000 to put in a savings account any suggestions please.I'm thinking of transferring 3,600 and £5,100 into Birmingham midshires ISA extra.
  • Baldur
    Options
    ....which leaves me about £2,000 to put in a savings account any suggestions
    Check out the various comparison sites for the type of savings that you want (variable/easy access/fixed term/notice/fixed rate, etc.), e.g.
    http://www.fsa.gov.uk/tables/bespoke/SavingsAccount
    http://moneyfacts.co.uk/compare/savings/accounts/best-sellers-savings/

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/savings/
  • DavidAC
    DavidAC Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know the best ISA now that M&S are soon to close theirs?
  • Baldur
    Options
    DavidAC wrote: »
    Does anyone know the best ISA now that M&S are soon to close theirs?
    Best for what?

M&S are allegedly closing the current issue 9 but replacing it with a different issue, the details of which nobody (other than M&S) knows.

Check out the best for your own circumstances from the 'best buys' listed in Kazza's post here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=4603369&postcount=1
  • HardSpend
    HardSpend Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Santander, or A&L, 2.75% AER ISA
    Your main site states that there is a bonus of 2.25%. Stating that after a year this will drop to a variable rate of 0.5%.

On the A&L site the rate AND bonus are both variable? Whats to stop them reducing the bonus next week.is this correct. I Dont trust em!

Does it not say there is a gauranteed bonus of 3% above base rate for a year? is this what you are saying is wrong because it is not gauranteed?!?
  • Baldur
    Options
    HardSpend wrote: »
    Does it not say there is a gauranteed bonus of 3% above base rate for a year? is this what you are saying is wrong because it is not gauranteed?!?
    You are confusing two different Cash ISA accounts.

The Flexible ISA @ 3% and the Direct ISA (Issue 6) @ up to 2.75% for balance of £9,000+ - the former has the BoE base rate +3% guarantee while the latter's rate has the variable bonus.
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just opened a Newcastle Balance Builder ISA which also accepts transfers in at 3.4%
    http://www.newcastle.co.uk/savings/balancebuilderisa

There are some conditions - you have to regulary pay in - After the initial deposit, you must make at least nine further Monthly Payments before the Maturity Date and the account must remain open until the Account Anniversary.

With three other cash isas in three different institutions, it seemd a good idea to get them all in one place with a reasonable rate. Haven't seen this product recommended by MSE though - I wonder why?
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rozeepozee wrote: »
    ...Haven't seen this product recommended by MSE though - I wonder why?

It appears on Kazza242's "best currently available list" under the regular saver ISAs.
  • Pug77
    Pug77 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    A&L customers check your statements.

Just a quick heads up about the A&L Flexible ISA account.

I recently opened this when it was available for application online. The statement was received in the post today and shows the account title as DIRECT CASH ISA ISSUE 5. The reverse of the statement shows this to have an interest rate of 2.00%

The original confirmation email states that I applied and successfully opened a Flexible ISA.
    A&L online shows this as a Flexible ISA account
    A&L phone CS state that the account opened is a Flexible ISA
    The account number is for a Flexible ISA
    Only the paper statement shows the account as a DIRECT CASH ISSUE 5 ISA.

I have taken note of the CS representative name, time of phone call and print out of the online version of the statement and email as evidence. As interest is only paid annually, I will only know in a year if A&L will honour this account as a Flexible ISA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure