Top Cash ISAs Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• gunmaker
    gunmaker Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I've already got an A&L ISA so will I get a 3.5% or 3.2% rate or will it be low as I've already had it for a year.?

Penny, I would say your current ISA will drop to a low % rate after your 12 months are up. A&L give these 12 bonus rate ISAs for 12 months, after which they drop to around 0.5%. To check your rate go to this A&L web page: http://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/savings/interest-rates.aspx

Enter the first three digits of your ISA account number in the smaller "FIND" box and click "find". It should give you details of your account and when the the bonus interest rate finishes.

Your current ISA will not be automatically transferred to a new account with better interest, you will have to initiate that yourself. The best A&L ISA you can transfer to is their Direct ISA Issue 6 paying 2.75%.

http://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/savings/direct-isa.aspx
  • helenjones833
    Options
    Hi guys...

I currently have a really rubbish ISA, so want to start putting my money into a new one. However, I don't have vast amounts to invest right now, so the 2009-10 tax year limit thing is less relevant.

Is the Barclays 3.1% deal likely to be a good one going forward, or will there be better ISAs for 2010-11 available from next week?
  • leaphaze
    leaphaze Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pchaimab wrote: »
    This method for me was instant. I know in future how I'll be transferring money.

Your originating bank must be part of the fastpay scheme to have instant transfer.

I transfered from NationWide to A&L a week ago and this took 2 days. Interestingly a transfer in the opposite direction was instant (or same day anyway) so NationWide seem to support fastpay on the way in but not on the way out (for most accounts).
    Wearing my other one today.
  • purplestar133
    purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anybody have a correct geographical or freephone number for A&L which I can ring to close my current account with them?

I have tried lots of numbers on saynoto0870.com and most of them put me through to MBNA. Where you have to actually say what you want to the automated machine. Want to make sure I go through to the right department!
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anybody have a correct geographical or freephone number for A&L which I can ring to close my current account with them?

The main switchboard number is 0116 201 1000. It's only answered during office hours, and it's not intended for customer contacts, but if you ask nicely, they will sometimes put you through to the right department.
  • purplestar133
    purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The main switchboard number is 0116 201 1000. It's only answered during office hours, and it's not intended for customer contacts, but if you ask nicely, they will sometimes put you through to the right department.

Thank you, I will try that tomorrow.
  • Nessie23
    Nessie23 Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 April 2010 at 1:02AM
    Options

I have tried lots of numbers on saynoto0870.com and most of them put me through to MBNA. Where you have to actually say what you want to the automated machine. Want to make sure I go through to the right department!

I have used this number 0800 0566066 and it has worked for me on most occasions. Good luck!
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    hi all, thought i would let everyone know, you can now apply for the 3.2% ISA on the santander website. I just appled, very easy form to complete, and saves all that time spent at the branch
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The new Halifax Direct Reward (2.6% variable) is meant to be a limited time offer. Any rough ideas how long it will stay available for? My current 3% Reward ISA doesnt expire until the 16th April, so dont want to transfer until after then

• incesticde
    incesticde Posts: 461 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I realise this is a bit of numpty question that has probable been asked many times (I did do a search but it returned 100's of posts and after trawling through two pages with nothing relevant I gave up!)

I have the full £5K to invest in an ISA but will need the money in October to buy a house, if I invest in an ISA that will I be able to withdraw all the money (i.e. deposit and interest) come October or would I have to wait until April to collect the interest ?

See told you it was a numpty question! ;)

Thanks for your time & help

Incesticide
    "I don't want to sound cold and un-caring, but I am those things so that's the way it comes out" - Bill Hicks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure