Top Cash ISAs Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    incesticde wrote: »

I have the full £5K to invest in an ISA but will need the money in October to buy a house, if I invest in an ISA that will I be able to withdraw all the money (i.e. deposit and interest) come October or would I have to wait until April to collect the interest
    You can withdraw your money at any time, the interest up to that point will be calculated and added to your deposit when you withdraw it.
    A few fixed-term ISAs will impose a penalty for early withdrawal, but this is uncommon.
    poppy10
  • bluejulie
    bluejulie Posts: 282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know if there will be a better than 3.20% interest rate available next week?
    I'm wondering to apply today for the new Santander ISA or leave it for later on in case a better rate is available.
  • shymanuk
    shymanuk Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi ive £10,895.26 from old isa and £5,100 for this yr is the best deal i can get a+l for the new yr 3.2% on 5,100 and 2.7 on the remaning 10,895, or am i better to put all in a 2.7 and be done with it for a yr any help be great dont need to get at this money in the 12 months
    :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
  • bandana999
    bandana999 Posts: 91 Forumite
    edited 6 April 2010 at 9:40PM
    Options
    Please could someone tell me the correct Lloyds TSB ISA manager address to put on the ISA transfer form I'm filling in ATM.
    I've looked through all the letters they sent me and have a choice of four.

Thanks.

Sorry, just realised I really should have put this in the Transfer Cash ISAs Discussion Area, so I have.
    Maybe it's just me
  • leaphaze
    leaphaze Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    poppy10 wrote: »
    You can withdraw your money at any time, the interest up to that point will be calculated and added to your deposit when you withdraw it.

Just withdrawing the money is not enough; you'll need to close the ISA to get the interest.
    Wearing my other one today.
  • blizeH
    blizeH Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any hassle free ('clean') ISAs that'll rival Principality in terms of just leaving it in there and you know you'll get a reasonable rate? It's 1.6% at the moment which isn't great I know, but it's consistent and it's nice not to have to worry about chasing rates.
  • STRAWB
    STRAWB Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    I think the Halifax 4 year fixed at 4.25% is looking a good deal there is no withdrawal's but the rate makes up for this
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Options
    Can we nail this please, people?

Martin's latest email Q&A and this thread have confused me. Clearly there are one or two others commenting in this thread who are not sure either.

Like them, I (was lucky enough to?) open a Flexible ISA in branch 3 weeks or so ago and to fund it with my 2009/2010 allowance.

My intention then for post 5-April, unless something better came along (and it hasn't yet) was to either:
    (a) Buy another one to invest my 2010/2011 allowance at the same good rate in a separate new account, or
    (b) Top up the account I opened 3 weeks ago i.e. use the one account to invest two years worth of allowances for circa 12 months at minimum 3% over base on all of it.

It seems I can't do (a) unless I want the new lesser deal (min 2.7% over base).

And Martin's email Q&A section seems to imply that any funding I make now, even into the original account as in (b) will only attract the lesser deal (min 2.7% over base).

It says "Q. Can I still add money to last year's? No. Try and put more in & it counts as opening this year's ISA with that provider."

Who says??

I haven't found anything yet in my 18-March Flexible ISA Ts & Cs which suggests new funding is limited to the pervading rate for new account holders..
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    peterbaker wrote: »
    And Martin's email Q&A section seems to imply that any funding I make now, even into the original account as in (b) will only attract the lesser deal (min 2.7% over base).

It says "Q. Can I still add money to last year's? No. Try and put more in & it counts as opening this year's ISA with that provider."

I think he probably means this:
    If you add money to an ISA you opened last year, you will not be able to put new money into *any other ISA* this tax year, as adding the money to last year's will count as subscribing (in this tax year) with that provider.
    I haven't found anything yet in my 18-March Flexible ISA Ts & Cs which suggests new funding is limited to the pervading rate for new account holders..

I haven't checked Santander's website, but the A&L website now shows an interest rate of 3.5% on balances up to £10,200. As it doesn't allow transfers in, the only way to *have* a balance of £10,200 would be to have put money into it in 09/10 and to add to it in 10/11.
  • penarthian
    penarthian Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    May I suggest that you check out the ISA rates at The Principality Building Society. It is the largest in Wales and often appears high in the league tables, but can be accessed on line easily. We have a wide range of ISA providers in Penarth but the only one with queues out of the door yesterday was the Principality.
    A many different ISAs are on offer and you can get 4.35% and you can transfer in, if you tie up your funds for 5 years. Maybe too long for many but I, personally, am fed up with researching an ISA only to find that at the end of the year it drops its interest rate to nearly nothing.
    They also have interesting ISA/savings products.
    Worth a look:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport