Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• SueDerbyshire
    Options
    I guess it's not that easy to answer but I wasn't sure if anyone got a feel of the best/worst payers.

Ryanair do have a good record and I guess there will be less claims and therefore not clear as to where they would sit.

Thanks for the information anyway.

Sue
  • sky_rat
    sky_rat Posts: 226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had my compensation refused by both the airline (Thomas Cook) and the CAA. The CAA stated:

"Thank you for your patience with us since you submitted your complaint, I apologise for the delay in providing a response. After reviewing your file, it appears that your flight was more than five and a half years ago. We are experiencing a very significant increased demand for our services at the moment, and as a result we are currently unable to deal with your complaint case within the next six months.
    To form an opinion on whether the disruption was within the airline's control and therefore whether compensation is payable, our process involves corresponding with the airline and sometimes getting a technical expert to review documentation about the incident. Unfortunately this can take months, especially with so many cases on the go.

As such, we wanted to make you aware that in the UK the time limit for bringing a claim to court for compensation is six years from the date of the delayed flight. If you wish to go to court to seek compensation you would therefore need to submit your claim to a small claims court within 6 years from the date of your flight."

Should I take this to the small claims court and would I be like to win ?

Details about the delayed flight are below:

In October 2007, our return flight from Florida Sanford to London Gatwick was delayed for approximately 24 hours.

This was a package holiday and was booked with My Travel who have now been taken over by Thomas Cook.

I sent the template letter (recorded delivery) to Thomas Cook but after nearly 2 months I had not had a response so I decided to call them. I was told that to make a claim I would need the boarding passes to prove we boarded the aircraft (who on earth keeps their boarding passes?) and the booking confirmation letter.

The problem is, the holiday was booked 6 years ago in April 2007 so I no longer have any documentation.

With airline security being as high as it is, the airline must have a record of who was on the flight. I cannot believe that this information would not be available and wonder if its just an excuse to pay out.

The holiday was booked over the phone so all correspondence was in the form of paperwork which was disposed of a long time ago.

I was only able to find the booking reference and flight details from notes I had made in some old emails.

PS. I checked the FlightStats website but My Travel is not recognised and nor is the flight number (MYT068 on 20/10/07)
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sky_rat wrote: »

Should I take this to the small claims court and would I be like to win ?

Yes and highly likely :)

ps But get on with it!
  • mrnomoneybags
    mrnomoneybags Posts: 630 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 June 2013 at 2:31PM
    Options
    Hello All,

I have submitted a claim to US Airways and they offered me an $800 voucher, I have been looking and the flights and they are expensive and the routes are terrible.

Could somebody look at the letter they have senT me refusing compensation and tell me if they are talking nonsense?

Many thanks

LETTER
  • lyndac40
    lyndac40 Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Tomlewis007,

I got the similar letter from United Airline although United are not claiming EC they are just refusing to pay they say they as my flight reason 1. only delayed for 2 hours and 33 minutes late no compensation due reason 2. our flight was outside the EU no compensation is due. I have also be offered $800.00 in E vouchers. I am taking United Airlines to the small claims court hearing date is set for 22nd July.

Lynda
  • mrnomoneybags
    Options
    Thanks Lynda, I guess I should write to them and refuse as there letter does elude to the fact that it was fault with the air craft and thus is not EC.

thanks
  • lyndac40
    lyndac40 Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi tomlewis007,

I didn't write to them and tell them I was refusing the E voucher's I went straight to NBA then small claims court. First lot of E vouchers were sent after my first letter. The second lot of E vouchers were sent after I sent NBA their letter basically told me not to contact them again as this matter was now close. So hi ho its of to court we go.

Lynda x
  • Srwilks
    Options
    Hi all I am stuck in Spain due to the recent flight cancelations and air traffic control strike in France, I have rebooked a flight back on Friday but it put me at massive inconvenience what with work and parking along with paying for accommodation extra expenditure. Can I claim compensation for all this inconvenience, I am new to this forum so please if you can advise me if possible.
    Thank you.
  • Srwilks
    Options
    Hi all I am stuck in Spain due to the recent flight cancelations and air traffic control strike in France, I have rebooked a flight back on Friday but it put me at massive inconvenience what with work and parking along with paying for accommodation extra expenditure. Can I claim compensation for all this inconvenience, I am new to this forum so please if you can advise me if possible.
    Thank you.
  • sky_rat
    sky_rat Posts: 226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    111KAB wrote: »
    Yes and highly likely :)

ps But get on with it!

Done ! I have just submitted a 'Money Claim Online' form.

I put the claim amount as 1800 euros (£1526), because there were 3 passengers.

The only thing I am not sure about, is the fact that one of those passengers was my daughter and as she was under 2 at the time we did not purchase a seat for her (she sat on our laps for 8 hours!).

Therefore I'm not sure if I can only claim for 2 people i.e. 1200 euros.

The court fee cost £80 to claim for all 3 of us, if I had only claimed for the 2 of us it would still have cost £70.

Ill let you know how I get on - the claim form states that Thomas Cook has 14 days to respond.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback