Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What's the "Admin Fee" got to do with RPI? And just because this mythical "many" consider TV and/or BB a necessity doesn't actually make it so.

Big business has never ever equated to "decency" so I've no idea why you'd think they should.

Companies such as THREE limit price rises to RPI - Perhaps TV supplying companies should be limited as well (I believe that BBC is with TV licences) ?
    ps I never mentioned the admin charge in relation to this - I was talking about the overall costs !
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    I have been upgraded to the full package at £43.05 per month - for 18 months - FIXED price
    That's not a bad deal - is it ?
  • E30M3
    E30M3 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I have been upgraded to the full package at £43.05 per month - for 18 months - FIXED price
    That's not a bad deal - is it ?
    For one Q box? sports/cinema/HD/kids? boxsets or ultimate on demand?
    Assuming one box, those channels and boxsets it's very good, comparable to the £38 I was offered
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    E30M3 wrote: »
    For one Q box? sports/cinema/HD/kids? boxsets or ultimate on demand?
    Assuming one box, those channels and boxsets it's very good, comparable to the £38 I was offered

No - HD but includes all sport, kids, movies, box sets etc...
    1234 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I cant figure them out. They give me an offer and when i confirm with my partner if that's ok... Sky turn around and change how much it will be per month.

I'm done with them, just told em to cancel and will just have to live with freeview and netflix.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    1234 wrote: »
    I cant figure them out. They give me an offer and when i confirm with my partner if that's ok... Sky turn around and change how much it will be per month.

I'm done with them, just told em to cancel and will just have to live with freeview and netflix.

Did you really expect them to make an offer and stick to it ?
    Sky don't do that - they just make up offers as they go along and vary them...
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Just been negotiating on behalf of my Dad. He had been on an 18 month offer for the Original package plus Line rental, BB and Anytime calls - price was £43.99pm.

I went through Messenger Chat and after a 2 hour wait was eventually connected to someone at Sky. About 90 minutes later his offer was ;

Entertainment at £22pm. Couldn't offer anything with BB and said I'd need to speak to that department.

As Original was £23.50pm I told him that a saving of £1.50pm was no good as it was also going to incur a £20 admin fee. He said it would be £10pm admin fee and would give Dad an extra 80 channels.

I told him that was no good as he didn't watch those channels anyway. He said he could see where I was coming from but had no better offer.

Told him I would speak to Dad to see if he wanted to cancel. At that point he said he could transfer me through to retentions. Might have been better to do that in the first place but I said yes please.

Retentions came on quite quickly and came up with this offer.

Entertainment at £13 ( £12 off )
    Line rental at £16.49 ( £2.50 off )
    BB at £6.01 ( £5 off )
    Anytime Calls £8 ( no discount )

Total = £43.50 ( so 49p per month cheaper than before )

Admin fee was £10 to "unlock" the deal. I did try for a higher discount on something to make up for the fee but was told this was the very best they could do.

I decided to accept as even with cancelling I don't think I would have done much better.

Total time from start of Messenger Chat to end was about 8 hours. I was out in the afternoon so not always answering quickly.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    Entertainment at £22pm.
    Entertainment at £13 ( £12 off )

Entertainment is £22 on a 12/18 month contract (£25 on a PAYG basis) - with £12 off = £10 not £13 - so £9 off !!

Was this agreed on a fixed price basis ?
    If not - you have an unpleasant surprise coming next month (Sky increase their prices in February) - try about 10%........
    Somehow I managed to avoid the admin fee !!
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Entertainment is £22 on a 12/18 month contract (£25 on a PAYG basis) - with £12 off = £10 not £13 - so £9 off !!

Yes I'm well aware of that but it still is £12 off.
    Was this agreed on a fixed price basis ?
    If not - you have an unpleasant surprise coming next month (Sky increase their prices in February) - try about 10%........

I'm well aware that Sky increase their prices every year. I've been with Sky over 15 years as have my parents. For the last 6 years at least I've been negotiating discounts so I do know what I'm doing.

Somehow I managed to avoid the admin fee !!

Yes I avoided it myself last year. Previous year I was on 60% discount but discounts are getting a bit harder now.

I could have cancelled the TV and might have got another £2 off but no more. Cancelling phone line is not to be recommended as my parents did not want to take a chance of losing their number which they've had for around 60 years.

All in they were happy to save £18pm and a price which was slightly less than last year's price.
  • niktheguru
    niktheguru Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it helps anyone this is what I went for in the end for the parents
    They have an HD box and didn't want to upgrade to sky Q (its worth remembering if you are a VIP platinum you can get a 2gb box for 20 pounds install, but you have to pay £12 a month for the Q experience)

I went through the messenger service, which is slower than the chat but still not too bad.

Eventually we agreed:

Entertainment pack + HD + Box sets + Kids = £20 a month
    (i downgraded the cinema as it wasn't being used, but that was on offer for an extra £10 which is standard these days)

Its on an 18 month contract with a £10 admin fee (unable to get out of that)

Didn't have to cancel as haven't seen many amazing cancellation offers on here recently.

Hope that helps someone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure