Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Options

Comments

• alanteal
    Options
    try a british gas one off fee approx £170 for all parts and labour. ring them to see whats not included & what is. can save you a fortune if you can wait a bit and your boilers not too old.
    beware of powerflushing can be expensive & unecessary
  • kingcreech
    Options
    jnaughton wrote: »
    I have just started my boiler cover to a local company called GAS PROTECT they are a small firm in Bolton , the engineer is a lovley man who told me everything that I needed to know, he did not pressure me into anything and was straight from the start , it is only £10 a month and an annual service is included infact it came about after an offer of a boiler service for only £30 that I took up.

Nice one for posting this, not to far away from Bolton so might give them a call . . . want to read the TC's on the annual plan but the offer on the boiler service ain't bad

Gonna check out some other local firms as well
  • David1105
    Options
    I was with British Gas Homecare for years before I needed to call them out and when I did, I was not happy. They told me that the boiler was too old to find the parts for and according to my terms and conditions, there was no garuantee that they would be able to fix it for me. So what's the point of the cover??!! I ended up just getting a local plumber round so I'd been paying for homecare for nothing!:mad:

I took out a policy with Heat Plan Utilities a few months ago and about a month or so later, the boiler broke down again and I was amazed that they actually got someone out and the fixed it the same day! Apparently Heat plan is a much smaller company than BG so why can they do something that BG can't manage? And for cheaper. My BG cover went up every year but ended up being about £200 a year and my new cover is £120.:D I would reccomend them to anyone else who is fed up with BG or any of the other companies that seem to be mucking people around.
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    i dont see the cover for £120 on their site.... i can only see £99, £159, and £299....

No info on their site, no t&c's

so cant say much about their cover.....
    BG will only use manufacturer approived parts, this company may use universal parts.......

good price anyhow though the silver plus doesnt seem to cover an annual service.... seems thats the gold package
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    David1105 wrote: »
    . . . I took out a policy with Heat Plan Utilities a few months ago and about a month or so later, the boiler broke down again and I was amazed that they actually got someone out and the fixed it the same day! Apparently Heat plan is a much smaller company than BG so why can they do something that BG can't manage? And for cheaper. My BG cover went up every year but ended up being about £200 a year and my new cover is £120.:D I would reccomend them to anyone else who is fed up with BG or any of the other companies that seem to be mucking people around.

We're currently being asked around £240 by British Gas for boiler cover in 2012, this price to include an annual service.

But HeatPlan utilities does not offer a like-for-like service. And certainly not for £120. An unimpressive website devoid of company background details and seemingly operating from a rented accommodation address merely promises three different levels of cover at a penny short of £100, £160 and £300 per year.

Mysteriously, each price is asterisked, this most often being the case when the figure shown is exclusive of VAT. Absent any explanation for the asterisks, I've no idea what they may mean.

As for the three levels of cover, only the £300* option includes an annual boiler service. The other two don't. Kind of makes those two quite pointless because boilers do need servicing / checking and if one has to factor in a boiler service as an addition to the £100 and £200 prices charged, then the sums don't add up at all.

Certainly, the £300* option provides both an annual service and central heating cover -- which BG, on the price plan we're using, does not: we don't have CH cover. But as I'm wary of any company operating from what looks like an accommodation address and whose website is so lacking in detail and provenance as Heat Plan Utilities' is (and slightly concerned that a newly registered poster has come on here quoting a £120 annual cost unobtainable by anyone else). . .

. . . Thanks, but no thanks.
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    Well said PhylPho
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • David1105
    Options
    I hadn't looked at their website before but I agree it doesn't look that great. I saw an ad in the paper and just called them. I have the silver cover which was £120 for me. I don't know if that was just including VAt but I suppose that would work out right. It doesn't include a service but I found I can get that done locally anyway for £55 so I'm not fussed about that and as I say, when the programmer broke a month or so ago, they just sent someone to fix it with no fuss. Can't say fairer than that in my opinion.
  • PhylPho
    Options
    Just a thought. . . We've now had unaddressed mail from British Gas Homecare offering Homecare 100 at £13 a month.

Our existing Homecare 100 cover is due to rise at the beginning of December to £20.03 a month.

The £13 offer is for 'new customers only'. Our existing cover is in my name. Any reason why I shouldn't just ring up and cancel now, and then for Mrs P to apply in her name -- as a new customer -- for this cover at £13 a month??
  • David1105
    Options
    PhylPho wrote: »
    Just a thought. . . We've now had unaddressed mail from British Gas Homecare offering Homecare 100 at £13 a month.

Our existing Homecare 100 cover is due to rise at the beginning of December to £20.03 a month.

The £13 offer is for 'new customers only'. Our existing cover is in my name. Any reason why I shouldn't just ring up and cancel now, and then for Mrs P to apply in her name -- as a new customer -- for this cover at £13 a month??

From my experience and what I've heard from others, BG usually make it very difficult to cancel policies anyway. I even saw them on Watchdog for it a while back.

That's the only problem I can see. Or they might classify you as a 'returning customer' if you have only cancelled recently which stop them having to give you the £13 a month.
  • PhylPho
    Options
    Thanks for that, David.

We're staying with British Gas.

We looked long and hard at nPower's offering as well as the AA Insurance plan but to be honest, the customer feedback about both is not merely awful, but epically awful.

The AA only launched their rival service (with John Cleese doing the TV commercials) in October last year, yet seem to have spent more on his fees than investing in the so-called product. Having been exposed on BBC TV's Watchdog, the AA has, in effect, re-thought its entire operation -- yet still the Internet is littered with complaints about shoddy workmanship and hopeless service.

nPower's is in a similar league: if there's one complaint on the 'Net there must be several hundred.

By contrast, our experience of British Gas's Homecare 100 service has been consistently excellent. The engineers turn up when they're supposed to, and ring in advance to say they're so-many-minutes away. The work has been thorough as well as prompt, and on the only occasion when we had a minor emergency -- it happened on a Sunday, so we waited until Monday morning to ring -- BG Customer Service took us to task for waiting, saying they would've turned out on Sunday because their service operates 24/7. As to that little emergency, a BG engineer was at our door at 3pm that same day.

We therefore decided to ring BG to see if they might like to adjust the proposed new DD downwards. The conversation lasted all of five minutes. Customer Service was, again, faultless. And the proposed bill was reduced by them from the 29% increase to a level exactly in line with UK inflation figures.

We are, indeed, happy bunnies -- and very thankful we still have BG's Homecare 100 service. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback