UPDATED with Link! There's a new Broadband Tool coming to MSE and we need YOUR help!

Options

Comments

• neilsedaka
    neilsedaka Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If Openreach are invited to diagnose faults on the customer side of their equipment they are likely to charge £££s.
  • thrifty_pete
    Options
    neilsedaka wrote: »
    If Openreach are invited to diagnose faults on the customer side of their equipment they are likely to charge £££s.
    That's true, but it is good to get to the bottom of it. A long time ago I had problems with O2 and they blamed the line, but immediately before and immediately afterwards with another supplier it was fine. Also I think ADSL has become a much more mature technology over the last decade, so people expect more reliability.
  • thrifty_pete
    Options
    A friend of mine is having the same experience, an openreach engineer is coming tomorrow to have a look.
    Update: The Openreach engineer discovered the phone line had become corroded 70 metres up the street. Now with a new cable (or perhaps a new pair) all is well.
    John Lewis' reputation intact! :beer:
  • Jezshaw
    Options
    Hi
    Back in August I saw martin promote a BT superfast fibre broadband deal, and it included BT sport through the phone app. This was a main reason why I decided to go with this offer. I bought this deal going through MSE finally got my internet installed and up and running. But the BT sport app isn't working, I rang bt customer services up after being passed about on the phone for an hour I finally got told I do not have the BT sport app on my deal. ??? Why was it advertised with this feature but then not supplied???
    I've just been looking through your website broadband deals through BT. with the broardband packages that give the simlar deals with BT sport app when I click on the "get deal" button to take me to BT sight that offer then is not included
    Why is this please??
    I failed to notice that I was being miss informed when I bought my board band package and that was 1 of the main reasons why I went with that deal.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Spam incoming...
  • WeirdoMagnet
    Options
    Hi, just to report/feedback on the Fast B'band, £17 deal in this weeks newsletter.

I tried to apply online, went through the MSE broadband tool, clicked through the third party (Decision Tech) link to get the £75 Amazon Gift Card etc. All OK.

Subsequently on the Vodafone website, entered all the details, pressed submit. It went through the credit check (all OK), but said there was a problem, and to try again - I did - or to phone them. As the really helpful chap was trying to sort it on the phone, I realised that Vodafone might have some kind of blocker on to stop these third party deals, hence the reason it wouldn't go through. When he was wrapping up he said the price was £23 a month - I stopped him, told him it said £21, he said that was existing customers only. In true MSE style I bartered and he reduced it, but would just warn folk that this offer might not be all it's cracked up to be.
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • janty1
    Options
    I’m looking to leave sky but I already have a BT landline and get free calls all the time and wouldn’t want to lose that. I cannot see any deals offering that just free weekend calls. Have I missed something?
  • danthemoneysavingman
    Options
    The Talktalk offer shown is not accurate. If you need a new line (as I would), talktalk says they will charge you £60, but this fee is not shown on the tool.
    Let me Google that for you...
  • muddlemand
    Options
    The "Broadband Unbundled Deals" tool showed £23.99 per month effective price. (I filtered for broadband and line rental + Anytime calls.) It's still showing the same.

40232896353_2c02fcdd53_d.jpg

I normally double-check and triple-check on the supplier's website, I don't just assume the comparison tells the truth - but I did think i was going to pay £23.99 (the cheapest available for my postcode). However, if I made a mistake here, the comparison tool made the same mistake!

The price shown:
    1. does NOT include Anytime calls, which are an extra £7;
    2. does NOT include VAT.

My first bill is £33.94. That's more than I was paying before!

No problem so far with customer service. There was a technical problem with the line originally, which wasn't their fault but BT/Openreach, and was resolved in 24 hours. Communication was fine. Before signing up the website doesn't give a lot of detail compared with other suppliers, but still I thought i'd read everything I needed to know.

Not sure what to think. Maybe my mistake, maybe MSE's comparison tool's, maybe FU was misleading? I think I did know that Anytime calls were an added extra, before I committed - but I'm pretty sure I didn't know prices were ex. VAT.

On Broadband Unbundled Deals it also shows "no score" for FU, but I've just been looking at the feedback for this company as an energy supplier. I think that should be taken into account somehow, even though it isn't from broadband customers - it's the same company, I'd have thought its structure and business philosophy are likely to affect all its services. If I'd seen there were so many dissatisfied customers for gas & electric, I'd have thought twice before switching to them for broadband.

PS. The bill is made up of:

£8.09 Anytime calls
    £0.00 Caller display
    £2.31 Broadband
    £19.64 Line rental
    £2.32 credit Promotional Discount 3 (can't remember details, I wish I'd taken screenshots at every step)
    £27.72 Package total
    + 56p for calls to mobiles

Total before VAT £28.28
    VAT at 20% £5.66
    Total charges: £33.94

Can anyone give me an idea how they got £2.32 for the discount, and more importantly, where on earth MSE got £23.99 from in the first place?
  • muddlemand
    Options
    :shocked: I just found this in the Help section!
    "Don’t worry if your first bill is higher than your subsequent bills, this is normal. It will include payment for the remainder of the month from the date you joined, plus full payment of your second month.

Like other telecoms providers, we bill in advance for broadband, call plans and call features. For example if you switched to us mid month, your total would be 2 weeks broadband rental for the period since you went live (in addition to any chargeable calls you’ve made), plus the next month’s advance rental."
    (https://help.first-utility.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001565045-Why-is-my-first-bill-higher-than-I-expected-)

I think this explains it... :grinheart
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure