PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• slowandsteady_2
    Options
    Hi all, please can i be put down for £150 for September please:D

Im still off sick but handed my notice in to current job last Monday and start a new job on 21st September with a 50 % paycut :eek: little above minimum wage! Have done the maths and we will be fine but will have nowhere near the disposable income we have been used to but no well paid job is worth the stress. I cant wait to start at the new place! Feel like a huge weight has gone from me!

So given that i dont know the shifts i will be on yet i have meal planned straightforward dishes for the month and basically a week of batch cooked mince meals the week i start so dh doesnt starve if im on lates:D

I spent more last month due to unexpected tax credits payment,:T and i have a full to bursting freezer (3 of em actually:o) and same with cupboards and pantry, (we'll be fine if there is a war!).

So today i went Mr T to get a few basics and some tinned stuff to replace stocks and spent £24.13 and got a lot for my pennies.

Have 800g of beef mince in the fridge im gonna use tommorow in the slow cooker with all the usual suspects and im gonna do a huge vat of mash so thats us for at least a few days, have a chicken also to do later in the week which will also do at least 3 days. DD is doing really well with weaning and has her own food cupboard with low salt/sugar items etc so she's sorted and have tons of nappies and formula for her.

Sorry i dont half waffle:o but i just love this thread!

So i expect will come in on budget for the first time, mainly because i literally have no more room for anything! Should just need milk, bread (which i should make really as have a ton of flour) and fruit. Need to keep it down as dont know yet how new job work their payday so need to make sure have a bit of money in the bank to cover anything essential.

Am really looking forward to September in all respects!

Big thanks to those running this fab thread:T
  • soupfan
    soupfan Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Just counted the cash I have set aside, and it's 247.35 not £250.
    Would it be possible for a mod to amend my target please? Sorry to be a pest.
    Grocery Challenge (food and cleaning products).
    Sept 09 £247.35/£63.50
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    Hi to all,
    Thanks to those who work so hard on this, good luck to all the newbies and a pat on the back to all those who're doing well.

Wow, can't believe we're this far in already!!
    I'm feeling very positive about this month!
    ;o)

My boys are back to school on Wednesday only it's to a new school (due to the move!!) They offer a 20p each per day fruity tuck.
    Do u think I should let my boys join in? (They offer a large cup filled with various fresh fruits/veg etc, differing daily.
    I just know I couldn't offer the variety, (they get heaps of choice on average 4/5 different things to choose from each day, coconut, plum, peach, watermelon, papya, star fruit, cucumber, carrot, cherry toms are just a few)
    What do ya all think??
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The school my GDs go to also have a snack each day that has to be paid for, but at ours it's 20p/day for pre-school children and 40p/day for Reception upwards (these prices also include a drink of milk). But it's not always fruit at ours. I know for a fact that on a Monday the Infant dept has toast, as I'm in making it for the Pre-school and Reception classes. I also know a Tuesday is at least partially fruit (they often have breadsticks with it) for those two classes, as I've helped out when they were short-staffed. And a Friday is pizza !?!?!?!?

20p/day for a good selection of fruit sounds fantastic to me, and I know my daughter would much prefer that as an option at ours.
    Cheryl
  • Little_Miss_Naughty
    Options
    Hi All

Due to have my first baby in a few months so trying to cut back. Count me in for £200.

Me, DH and two pampered cats
    Sealed Pot Challenge #601
  • Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    The plan for having a batch cooking day today didn’t entirely go to plan; a lot of the meat & fish was not defrosted despite being taken out of the freezer yesterday & being in the fridge overnight. And my sister decided to have a Barbie this afternoon, so went to that – can’t turn down free food! And, of course, it was great to see everyone.

Did manage to make up a hug vat of bolognaise sauce, half of which is now frozen in portions & half in the fridge to make into a lasagne tomorrow. Also made chilli con carne with the mince. Plus some twinks & quiche.

Will carry on tomorrow, but it is already apparent that the freezers will need completely rearranging if I am to have any hope of getting everything in once the cooking is done. Still I enjoy the cooking & I have a great sense of satisfaction once the meals for the month are safely stashed.
  • soupfan
    soupfan Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone use 30 Day Gourmet freezer cooking?

30daygourmetDOTcom

The idea is that you have one massive cooking day, ideally with friend, but you can do it on your own, and you stash a month's COOKED meals (not ingredients) in the freezer.

PS How long is it before I can post a clickable link?
    Grocery Challenge (food and cleaning products).
    Sept 09 £247.35/£63.50
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 August 2009 at 10:01PM
    Options
    I found a good veggie stuffed marrow recipe - its that time of year! I'll add it to the front recipe list ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2009 at 10:34PM
    Options
    Soupfan

That is essentially what I do (aka once a month cooking [OAMC] or batch cooking). When I have time I cook up the months dinners & freeze them in individual portions, then when I don’t have time to cook dinner, just needs defrosting & reheating & maybe cooking the carb (rice, pasta, potato etc.)

DD is with her Dad this weekend, so I am cooking up the month’s meals ready for when she is back at school & I am working (and not home until after 7pm if I am in the office in London). This is something I have been doing way before GC, as it suits me. DD is with her Dad alternate weekends, so I always have at least one a month where there is time to do this.

Bolognaise sauce & chilli con carne are cooked & frozen in individual portions already. Tomorrow I will make the rest of the bolognaise sauce into beef lasagne & also make fish lasagne, Moroccan chicken, moussaka, sausage casserole, sausage & lentils, as well as some pates for lunches. There are still a few portions of Chinese chicken, beef curry & fish pie in the freezer from previous sessions.

I am not really strict about cooking exactly one month’s meals once a month, but cook up huge batches when I have time & then there is always a selection of different meals available.

As I said, it suits me, but I am only catering for two people. I am not sure I would find it manageable if I had a large family to feed. Others find it easier to cook double when they are cooking anyway & put the extra portions in the freezer to build up a stock of ‘home-made ready meals’ over time.

HTH
  • lauhen
    lauhen Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    I want to make my homemade pizzas, can I freeze them, I want to make about 5 or 6 for the month, and would I cook them the same as other frozen pizzas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure