Marrows and cabbages

Morning all, been lurking for ages and picked up some fantastic tips and need some help. Just come back for the allotment with marrows and cabbages and would love some suggestions as really like to use them up....Thanks in advance

Comments

• Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Have to admit to never having had marrow :o - BUT have you ever tried stuffing cabbage leaves?

You'll need the BIG outside leaves - blanch them for a couple of mins to soften them.

Make up some kind of 'stuffing' - maybe a savoury rice/risotto thing, or couscous. Using say 2 leaves per person, put the stuffing on the open leaves and roll up similar to a 'buritto' - making sure you fold in the sides to seal it into a parcel. Place in a casserole dish with the closure underneath. Cover with a tin of chopped tomatoes and bake in a moderate oven - could top with cheesey breadcrumb mixture and extra cheese - IF you're feeling particularly generous (or depending on what the stuffing is inside the cabbage leaves).

Any recipe for 'stuffed vine leaves' will work for this I think.

You could also try chopping some of the cabbage to freeze for future use.
  • Stuffed marrow is lovely and so is stuffed cabbage - or try mashing some marrow with some potato, add S&P and a little nutmeg or a few herbs and put on top of a mince base(shepherds/cottage pie).
    I haven't tried freezing marrow because like courgettes and cucumber they have a high water content
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,058
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I love Marrow- I normally stuff it with a hot chilli and then wrap in foil and cook in the oven. Last few mins top with some cheese
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Money_saving_Diva_2 Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2009 at 2:47AM
    I vote for stuffed marrow too - you can put any kind of mince or quorn mixture inside it and wrap it in foil and just bake in the oven.

I also do a vegetarian recipe that uses sliced marrow for a change. This is it in case you fancy it. If you aren't vegetarian you can also throw in some bacon bits while the tomato sauce is cooking which tastes good!

Divas Veggie Stuffed Marrow
    • 1 short thick marrow, about 2lbs
    • 2oz butter
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 2 celery sticks, chopped
    • half a grated carrot
    • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
    • 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
    • 1 chilli - seeds removed - chopped finely
    • 1 pinch of mixed herbs or fresh herbs to taste
    • 2 oz fresh breadcrumbs
    • 2 oz mature Cheddar, finely grated
    • salt and black pepper
    Heat the oven up to 190 degrees (gas 5) and cut the marrow into 8 fat rings. Peel if the skin seems a little tough. Then scoop out the seeds. Lay the rings of marrow in a large oven proof dish.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan and cook the chopped onion, carrot and celery for approx 5 minutes until soft and then add the garlic and chilli and cook for a futher minute.

Stir in the chopped tomatoes and season with a little salt and plenty of ground black pepper. Add the mixed dried herbs now and then bring to the boil and then simmer uncovered for approx 10 minutes or so until the mixture is thick and pulpy.

Lightly season the marrow rings with salt and pepper and then spoon the tomato sauce mixture into the middle of the marrow rings. If you have any leftover tomato mix then just fill the gaps between the marrow rings with it.

Tightly cover the dish with foil so that the marrow will cook in the steam, then bake for 30 minutes.

While it is cooking, mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together. After 30 mins, remove the foil and sprinkle the mixture over the tops of the marrow rings. If using fresh herbs, sprinkle over now.

Return to the oven and bake uncovered for a further 15 minutes or until the topping is golden and crisp and the marrow is tender and juicy. Serve hot with lots of crusty bread for mopping up the juices!

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Lula,

These threads should give you lots of ideas:

What to do with marrow

Cabbage

Pink
  • Lula13
    Lula13 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Wow..how fab but i'm going to stuff it el a Diva style..can't wait now.
    Might try the cabbage tomorrow. Thanks everyone:j
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 August 2009 at 8:59PM
    Diva that sounds lush! I've added a link to your recipe to the GC recipe list. Hope you're joining us this month? ;)

I usually serve marrow stuffed with a sausagemeat and stuffing mix, either cut in half and each half stuffed or in rings as your recipe.

here's a gorgeous Cabbage Galette recipe link from Gingham Ribbons Spring vegetarian menu planner:)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family