We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sainsbury's Basics good/bad items

Options

Comments

• Snapdragon
    Options
    Would be daft not to try a few more items from the basics range, as you say they are so cheap I wont really lose anything!

Actually you don't have to lose anything even if you risk trying something and it turns out you don't like it. According to the cashier on the till who said they'd been told to mention to anyone with basics items in their shop, that they have a policy of 'try basics version and if you don't like it, let them know and they'll refund the cost'.

Probably not going to be a vast sum involved anyway given that they are such great value but with a policy like that there really is no excuse not to give some a try.:T

I'm a convert who is gradually increasing the proportion of basics with each shop. We've been impressed with nearly everything we've tried.
  • cooking-mama
    Options
    Not a fan of Sainsburys basic Cornflakes or basic gravy granules,wouldnt buy either again.
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • lisa2905
    Options
    T bag convert here !!!! So impressed, been giving them my husband for 2 days and (without his knowledge of course!!) he has said nothing, unlike a few weeks ago when I got some 'free' t bags through the post from some posh t bag firm and he moaned they were disgusting !!
  • tessie_bear
    Options
    the tortilla chips are great...i think 25p a bag...i got mine for 19p because the were (very slightly)bashed...even the kids liked them
    onwards and upwards
  • theladsmum
    Options
    Last week we finally got the 4p curry sauce - really good. A tad on the runny side, but seeing as we add all sorts to our curries, it dished up fine.

Also had basics chocolate - milk and white. Kids wolfed it down (me too!).
  • Berni888
    Options
    Snapdragon wrote: »
    Actually you don't have to lose anything even if you risk trying something and it turns out you don't like it. According to the cashier on the till who said they'd been told to mention to anyone with basics items in their shop, that they have a policy of 'try basics version and if you don't like it, let them know and they'll refund the cost'.

Thanks, good to know. I've only had one 'wouldn't dare touch again with a barge pole' incident and that was the Basics salad cream. Bitter and only other word is 'binable'.
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lisa2905 wrote: »
    T bag convert here !!!! So impressed, been giving them my husband for 2 days and (without his knowledge of course!!) he has said nothing, unlike a few weeks ago when I got some 'free' t bags through the post from some posh t bag firm and he moaned they were disgusting !!
    my flatmate said the same when i got some Posh ones free in the post.. didnt like them at all.Have to say I preferred Mr S Basics to C***P*r.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • chickien_2
    Options
    I tried the basic custard powder yesterday, it was delicious....and it was only 7p!!!! :j

Will definitely be buying it again!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    POSSETTE wrote: »
    hubby has used the basics hand cream for months now, he get rough hands at work,says it sooo much better than all the named ones!
    i tried the jaffa cakes for a laugh,not expecting much,they are as good as McVs,pleasantly surprised..will be trying the other stuff soon.

great thread..

The jaffa cakes are lovely and the best thing is they look like the basic T bags box. So I often get to them before the kids realise they are there.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • qetu1357
    qetu1357 Posts: 1,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just love Sainsbury's basic range BUT what do other posters do when the "brand snobs" come around their houses?

Do they hid them away?

I must admit I don't but the other half felt embarrassed when she had a visitor the other day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport