🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Children and Funerals

Options

Comments

• cheeks
    cheeks Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your reply Gingham R, i haven't asked the children whether they would like to go, to be honest i don't think they'd know what they were letting themselves in for x
    If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed back out?:rotfl:
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I would not let the 5-year-old go, but I think the 9-year-old should be given a choice to go or not. However, I think they should both go along to the wake.
  • Apricot
    Apricot Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss xxx

How do you think your children would react seeing you and the rest of their family being visibly upset? My instinct would be that it hasn't really affected them as they never met the babies so wouldn't completely comprehend what all the upset is about and that might cause more harm then good?
    :happylove DD July 2011:happylove

Aug 13 [STRIKE]£4235.19[/STRIKE]:eek: £2550.00 :cool:
  • cheeks
    cheeks Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.
    Sarahjayne, i'm so sorry for the loss of your baby girl x
    And also for the loss of your Nana, my thoughts are with you x
    I will tell my sister about SANDS, its so good to have people to chat with who have been through similar
    If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed back out?:rotfl:
  • dibuzz
    dibuzz Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My kids were between 6 and 12 when their grandad died and all went to the funeral, the elder 2 also went to a friend's 5 year old son's funeral when they were 9 and 7 but we thought the younger 2 were too young.
    I think in this case I'd not take them unless they desperately wanted to go but definitely do something special with them and maybe get them to plant a rose bush or something in memory of the babies.
    14 Projects in 2014 - in memory of Soulie - 2/14
  • surreysaver
    Options
    I agree with Gingham. You need to involve the children in the decision, regardless of how much or little you think they understand. If you do not involve them and make the decision on their behalf, they may not thank you for it in the future.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't take them and I wouldn't give them a choice either. If is was someone they knew closely, then that would be a little different but this is going to be very different. A funeral for a baby like this is not the same as a funeral for someone that people got to know.

If I were you, I would offer to look after my sister's kids too and have the four of them together. That's one less thing she'll have to worry about on the day. It's stressful enough as it is.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • skipsmum
    Options
    As others have said, adults funerals are grim, but babies funerals are awful...everyone is distraught. Small children will find the adults reactions are very odd. As others have said, you can plant something (my son planted a willow for our daughter, he was 6 at the time) or balloons, definitely mark it in some special way, but really think about wether you can help your children in the funeral itself because I think you will be too distraught.
    With Sparkles! :happylove And Shiny Things!
  • alwaysbrassic
    Options
    Totally agree with trying to arrange a goodbye for the children another way. A couple of years ago my close friends lost their baby girl.
    The funeral was horrific, so hard to deal with. My ever thoughtful friend though, even in her grief, arranged a little send off for the young children to be at while the funeral took place where the children all released balloons. It seemed very appropriate, I think the presence of children would have made the experience of the funeral harder for everyone.
  • Kitten_Pie
    Kitten_Pie Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Not sure if I can add anything new but will try.

Just over 2 months ago I lost my Identical boy twins at 31 weeks (stillborn) so know a little of what the parents are going through.

With regards to the funeral we had family only attend and left it open to my sil to bring her son (5 so a little younger) she didn't bring him along and no other children came either. In hindsight I think this was the best course of action. We needed alot of support and our sisters/brothers were the ones that we took most comfort from and with their children there they would not have been able to give us the support we so needed.

Only you know what your family dynamic is like, there is no right or wrong here.
    Overdraft = £1000 Emergency fund = £2500
    Competition wins 2015 = £1400
    :ANathan Henry & Lincoln Marcus born 19th October 2011 :A
    :D Naomi Lily born 28th August 2012 :D Lachlan Georg born 4th October 2013 :D
    :D Rowena Hazel born 5th October 2015 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family