Frankie & Benny

Options

Comments

• lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    I've only eaten in a F & Bs once. Terrible food, very stingy portions, bad value. I vote with my feet rather than get a meal replaced. If you've read George Orwell's "A Down and Out in Paris and London" (the bit where he worked in a fancy hotel) you'll know why.

Answer: The waiters/kitchen staff spat in the replacement food when there were complaints.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• defender_of_the_weak
    Options
    With restaurant you usually have to complain at the time but it always depends on circs. OH has a volcanic temper and can freeze hotel managers to the spot with a stare so occassionaly if we eat at a chain resaurant it becomes a head office complaint.

Ate at F & B some years ago and 3 out of four meals inedible paid for the drinks and nothing more, although did tip the waitress, it was the food not the delivery at fault.

Forced to use them again as nothing else suitable at airport and they have been okay but not somewhere I would ever recommend. Started life as a chef so know exactly what can go on in kitchens.

Favourite complaint was in a chain restaurant 'oop north'. After waiting nearly 90 minutes for 3 steaks and a kids nuggets, went to pay for the drinks and wanted my credit card refunded as already paid and no food. Whilst politely making my feelings known and sarcastically describing the shambles of their kitchen I got the following response

'Just because you're the f****** customer you think you're always f******
    right, well you're f****** not you can just f*** out of here you ****" This went on for about 2 minutes while the card transaction was processing

Sort of didnt pursue this one and wrote to head office instead. Still tops my list after many years
  • 98jdougl
    98jdougl Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Options
    I always found that when people complained they got quite a bit back if they did it well- we had one !!!!!!! of a table at the restaurant I used to work at- there were over 20 people there and only 2 waiting staff on.
    Because they were waiting until all the food was out until they started (as most people do) the first plate of veg that was brought out wasn't as hot as it had been (it wasn't cold or just warm- still hot) and they complained- got £50 off their bill.

At the inn I worked at I had someone place an order for a well-done steak on a really busy day- I explained when they ordered it that as it was so busy (there was a concert on, was a tiny place- the next nearest place to eat was about 20/25 miles away) it would be an additional 20-30 minutes wait as the kitchen was backed up, and that this would be on top of the normal 20 minute wait there is on well done steaks because they take longer to cook. She said that was fine and after less than 40 minutes came into the bar where I was and complained about the wait she had- even though I had explained it, but I gave her a refund on the sauce for the steak because she had been relativly polite and to be honest, since the bar was jumping I really couldn't be a***d to put in the time and effort to argue when I could have been serving customers (at least the place had a good set of locals that could jump behind the bar for me when I was serving food)

But in both of these places if somebody wrote to complain we wouldn't nessecarily offer anything- because there is a member of waiting staff around plus the service checks during and after each course and at the bill stage which would have enabled them to complain- if the letter was a follow-up to a compaint made in the restaurant we usually remembered, but we oculdn't offer a refund if we didn't remember the customer or the situation because otherwise it could be anybody randomly writing into get freebies!
  • Pixie28
    Pixie28 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    OP I agree that you should have complained at the time, however if you are really not happy with your experience then you should write into head office. I used too work for Frankie & Benny's as a manager...complaint letters are forwarded from head office to the naughty restaurant in question, and usually vouchers or a free meal for two are sent as compensation. If you still have the receipt then send that along with your letter.
  • alison99_2
    Options
    Pixie28 wrote: »
    I used too work for Frankie & Benny's as a manager...complaint letters are forwarded from head office to the naughty restaurant in question, and usually vouchers or a free meal for two are sent as compensation.

I don't think the OP wants to go back to F&B's, so that would be a cruel form of compensation. :p
    Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before
  • traceya89
    Options
    i am still waiting for a reply to a letter of complaint i wrote in July last year. I dont complain at the time of the bad experience cos I have seen restaurants from hell on the tv!
    Just about to give up!
  • Pixie28
    Options
    alison99 wrote: »
    I don't think the OP wants to go back to F&B's, so that would be a cruel form of compensation. :p

Very true...lol! However if a meal is offered as compensation the restaurant will take a booking for a specific date and time so that they can bend over backwards to make sure that the returning customer gets excellent service and delicious microwaved food....mmmmmmmm!
  • traceya89
    Options
    have you seen restaurants from hell?
    Just about to give up!
  • Pixie28
    Options
    Yes! Scary stuff....If I am complaining I never let them exchange my meal or order anything else from the menu. I worked in restaurants for years and I have seen a few gruesome things in my time! I get your point though with regards to going back to the restaurant for a free meal, but I think if you complain on the day you are more at risk at having your food "tampered" with because the chef is the first to hear of your grievances and may react in the heat of the moment.

I will add that during my 3 years at F&B's, the chefs never messed with the food, except for one who thought it would be funny to put a fully wrapped starburst sweet in three different pasta dishes.(It was her last night the b!) Now that took some explaining to the customers! :rolleyes:
  • uktim29
    uktim29 Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    Options
    'Just because you're the f****** customer you think you're always f******
    right, well you're f****** not you can just f*** out of here you ****" This went on for about 2 minutes while the card transaction was processing

If some body said that to you, you must have wound them up so much you probably deserved every word of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure