Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 September 2017 at 12:09PM
    Options
    I'm sure there are millions of customers who never roam
    Approx 30% pf the population don't even hold a passport

Well anybody who lives in and around UK the border with the Republic of Ireland roam very frequently and don't need/use a passport to roam in Ireland

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it's fair to say that they're pretty much a niche market I'm afraid.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ballyblack wrote: »
    Well anybody who lives in and around UK the border with the Republic of Ireland roam very frequently and don't need/use a passport to roam in Ireland

Until March 2019 at least anyway 😂😂
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    simax wrote: »
    Until March 2019 at least anyway 😂😂

Probably worth Googling the 'Common Travel Area' - It predates the EEC/EC/EU and is expected to continue by both of Ireland's Governments.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Probably worth Googling the 'Common Travel Area' - It predates the EEC/EC/EU and is expected to continue by both of Ireland's Governments.

It was a tongue in cheek statement
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • rtboyce
    Options
    Their T&Cs say that any data that you send is theirs to store and deal with in any way they like, royalty-free. Don't use this service unless and until that clause is removed and/or you use a VPN.

You should assume that you have no privacy at all except that which you enforce yourself with encryption. But that's probably a good assumption with any telecoms company.
  • rtboyce
    Options
    I've now had cause to test their customer service, and not been impressed. I wanted to know how much it would cost me to call my home 056 number. The website doesn't say.

The web chat lady twice pointed me to different parts of the website, then admitted she didn't know the answer. She said they'd have to get back to me. I suggested that be done by ringing the aforesaid number, but she said they only offered "digital" service, i.e. they don't talk on the phone to customers.

When I didn't get the promised email, I emailed the customer service team. I got a reply telling me that they didn't have a rate for my number yet.

I don't think they're ready for business. I regret giving them my credit card number when I ordered a SIM card.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can turn off automatic renewal via the dashboard should you wish to do so.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 September 2017 at 3:47PM
    Options
    https://smarty.co.uk/legal/smarty-price-guide-v1.3.pdf

States the prefixes that are covered by inclusive call allowances are UK landline numbers starting 01, 02 and 03 and UK mobile numbers starting 07.
    Incorrectly classes 03 numbers as landlines. 03 numbers are actually non-geographic.
    Fails to clarify that UK mobile numbers actually start 071-075 and 077-079.
    Usage of "UK" in the above description seems to imply that calls to "offshore" landline and mobile numbers in CI and IoM are not included. Whatever their status, the full list of applicable "offshore" prefixes is required to be listed.
    Seems to imply that "offshore" 03 numbers are not included. As these numbers are non-geographic, that would be a breach of Ofcom regulations.

Fails to confirm that calls to numbers starting 080 are free-to-caller. Implying they are included in allowances would be misleading.

States the Access Charge for 084 and 087 numbers is "3p" but fails to clarify this is "3p per minute".

Fails to state call charges for numbers starting 055, 056, 070 and 076.

States that premium rate numbers are not yet available (assume this includes 090, 091, 098 and 118). When and if they do become available, Ofcom regulations require the Access Charge be set at the same rate as for 084 and 087 numbers.

Correctly states the charge for calling 101 as 15p per call.

No mention of numbers such as 105, 111 or 112/999 or of numbers starting 116.

No mention of calls to, or texts to or from, mobile shortcodes.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :eek:not a good start!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business