PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MRI The MacAnthony Real Estate Agency

Options
We purchased our property off-plan in Portugal through a Spanish estate agency named MRI (MacAnthony Real Estate). We had a tremendous amount of problems. Almost 2 years late in completion and never got the rental returns as promised and started to run into debt. We are not the only ones to be a victim and the owner Darragh MacAnthony was summoned to court. After exhausting attempts in Portugal for compensation we switched to a Spanish lawyer reccommended by Fastline Legal Services Sl. We paid court expenses and finally Fastline Legal Services Sl got us compensation amount agreed. Our problem is that Fastline Legal Services Sl said we would get compensation within 8-10 month but it took almost 14months. As we were stuggling with morgage payments it meant that the extra time it took the bank have now repossed our property. Can we claim more from Fastline Legal Services for late compensation. Fastline Legal were always polite and they did keep us informed and said the that the court dates are out of their control. Has anyone else had to wait longer than said?

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear! Another punter lost in the quagmire of a poorly judged investment, in a country where the legal system is an unknown quantity!

I doubt you can claim off the claims company (fasline).

As they've said they are hardly responsible for the speed of the courts. They gave you an estimated time, and weren't even that far out.

AND they got you the money.

But then, like you, I'm not familiar with the Spanish or Portugese system.
  • eddy.ed_2
    Options
    Thank you G_M.
    I guess you are probably right and we would feel bad after the fact that we did get compensation. No more investments for us and we hope that others claim against MRI.
  • Cash-Cow_3
    Options
    If you google MRI forum you can register and get some advice from people who have had similar problems.
    I'm retiring at 55. You can but dream.
  • bigmarkie
    Options
    Hi, we have also had a bad experience with MRI in Spain. We have signed up with Fastline Legal Service in the hope that we get some recompsence. They told us that it would take 12 months and we have this in writing along with the amount calculated to be our compensation. I have also posted under the title Fastline Legal Service Sl stating some of the problems that we had with MRI. Reading different forums it seems that there are alot of cases against developers in different countries that so far have not proved fruitful. You said that the compensation was late, did you have any other issues?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bigmarkie wrote: »
    ....... I have also posted under the title Fastline Legal Service Sl stating ...?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=59102181&highlight=#post59102181
  • lisaboopdeboop
    Options
    Hi Big Markie & Eddy Ed,
    I found your post last weekend. I am so desperate to get some money back from MRI. I have signed up with a company in Durham, CPC Holdings, nearly 2 years ago on a no win no fee with absolutely no sign of compensation so I started to have a browse and found them to be a complete waste of time and they have no lawyers to actually file a case. They said that MRI had gone into liquidation in 2009, which meant getting money was much harder, but I found a report that states this was not the case until April 12. They gave me the run around. So I thought I'd check out the firm you and Eddy have used. I have contacted them and I'm currently having all my ppwk investigated to see if I have grounds to claim any compensation. I got their company info with the lawyer Jose Lara Cabello. I found that they are genuine lawyers, I did some checks first including the bar association and on LinkedIn.co.uk. They have explained that there are some costs involved but cannot tell me how much at this time until the investigation is over. I was told that each case has a different amount of relevant ppwk to be translated, mines in English & Bulgarian, but I'm not under any obligation to use them. How much did you have to pay. I can't afford. I have tried to speak with people who have grouped against MRI & the developers but the sites are either no longer active or my anti virus shuts it down. I have never received a penny in rent or a sniff of a sale with my aptartment so it would be nice to get something.
  • bigmarkie
    bigmarkie Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2013 at 12:49AM
    Options
    Hi Lisa,
    We got an email informing me of your post. We paid £833 for translation and processing costs with the legal expenses payable once we have recieved our compensation. Our file on our dealings with MRI is an inch thick. Like you we did some checks 1st and made sure we had everything, including the T&C's, in black and white. It took about 5 weeks for them to assertain that we had enough evidence to claim compensation and we have just received an up date by letter. So far we are happy with Fastline Legal Service. We also stayed in touch with other MRI victims but slowly people got fed up of the excuses, and because they were getting nowhere, they stopped writing. We hope that you also have the grounds to claim and get your compensation. Apparrently MacAnthony lives in Florida in a luxury villa, the Sunday Times Rich List names his wealth at 68 million. What goes around will come around and we will be waiting to watch. Good luck. I will update as the claim progesses.
  • crab_apple
    Options
    message for bigmarkie.
    We have had 2 assessments carried out by the lawyers of Fastline Legal, and 1 by our own lawyer, but we have been told that we would not be entitled to any compensation. We were not happy when they told us that our paperwork didn't show sufficent evidence to prove that we were mis led so they repeated the assessment with the same result. Our lawyer here in the UK says the same. We paid over £80 for each apartment in Cape Verde that are now just a financial drain as theres no rental income and little hope that we will sell in the near future. We were promised by MRI that they would achieve a rental income at an 8% for the first 2 yeasr then the maket would of improved and they would sell giving us a £8-£10 profit on each apartment. they did nothing, never even returned our calls. These properties were already built but theres also alot of problems with maintinence so the building doesn't look attractive enough to interest buyers. We are now desperate. What sort of evidence did you have in order to assertain any compensation was due. Fastline have explained that without more evidence they cannot take on our case. We would be willing to pay Court costs. Do you know of any other law firms that are dealing with MRI. That man took our life savings with his promises and now he is rich and lives in Florida. He should be made to pay us all back whatever paperwork that we have kept. we will stand and watch with you when he falls. We also pain an agent here £495 to market our apartments but we have had no offers, does any one know of a good property seller that we don't have to pay a fee for? If we could selleven at a massive loss we can put this behind us
  • lisaboopdeboop
    Options
    Hi Big Markie. Like Crab Apple I've been told that there is no benefit in me making a claim. I backed out on completing when there were problems with the builders and MRI's attempts to switch me to another property, which also had problems with the access road. After nearly 2 years of being messed around by MRI I refused to pay the balance and they wouldn't return my £28k deposit. I sent all the original proof of payments made, by a now cancelled credit card, to the useless mediation company in Durham. Without them I have no proof of what I paid, so the lawyer says I can't claim any money back and advised me to contact that credit card lender to see what they can do? I am absolutely gutted can't believe I was so stupid by not making copies as I did with the rest of my paperwork. I feel so angry when I think of that rogue who has millions and I worry about the utility bills!!!! I read that he and his companies are now under investigation in the US as he has tried the same crooked scheme out there. I hope he gets prison. Good luck with your claim and keep us informed. Lisa
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    Too much money and not enough brains...
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport