We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

e.on Fixonline 8 - question for e.on Company Representative on alternatives?

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    It is not just the £30 but the loss of discount on last bill, which can be quite substantial.

Not if you make sure a bill's created (ideally online, but if online access has been blocked by phone) at some point reasonably close to 1 July. That keeps the loss of discount to a pretty low figure, given that at this time of the year little, if any, heating's being used.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,681 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Not if you make sure a bill's created (ideally online, but if online access has been blocked by phone) at some point reasonably close to 1 July. That keeps the loss of discount to a pretty low figure, given that at this time of the year little, if any, heating's being used.

You have do do that before they know you're leaving. Not only do they close down your online ability to enter readings and request a bill, but they won't give you a bill when requested by phone either.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• bufferz
    bufferz Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    The problem we have is with 6 of us in the house, the elctricity is silly, circa 10k kWh a year of electricity, but only 1200 kWh of gas, so we are getting hammered for the electricity useage...
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sparkle76 wrote: »
    I definately think the regulators need to step in as comparing rates is still so hard, I would like to see your full energy usage in KW for the year on your log in page for example, so that when you want to shop around it's easier and more transparent.

As it stands with Eon I think the only way to do it is open each quarterly bill and add up the units for gas and for elec, never sure on the comparison sites if just entering £30 for gas and £20 for elec (as we pay £50 direct debit) will give me an accurate comparison.

At any rate all the comparable rates are more expensive than FOL8 anyway, so frying pan, fire...

Have e-mailed Eon, let's see what they say, as for us it'd be easier to switch before July 1st to the 2013 fixed tariff within Eon, to guarantee we get it, but I don't want to lose our discount for June if possible.
    Your annual kWh useage is on each bill
  • sparkle76
    sparkle76 Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, I ended up calling Eon and was advised to wait until 1st July for other deals, as they are aware lots of people are coming off FOL8 and that they want good deals. I can't tell if they are trying to fob us off or not, he seemed genuine and said it was best to wait rather than jump to the 2013 fixed tariff yet as it would cost us over £200 extra a year compared to the FOL8 tariff.
    :):):)
    Little Sweetpea born 12th July 2011
    :):):)

• Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi all, I ended up calling Eon and was advised to wait until 1st July for other deals, as they are aware lots of people are coming off FOL8 and that they want good deals. I can't tell if they are trying to fob us off or not, he seemed genuine and said it was best to wait rather than jump to the 2013 fixed tariff yet as it would cost us over £200 extra a year compared to the FOL8 tariff.

Hopefully they're going to respond to the number of people bailing as Eon have lost the competitive edge.
  • slipthru
    slipthru Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll be starting my switch today to another fixed rate tarrif as i can't see Eon coming out with one now that is cheaper than the Npower or edf fixed tariffs considering prices are set to rise soon.
    In Progress!!!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

They would say that, wouldn't they? They're just trying to cling on to their customers. Fixed/capped price deals are going up, not down, in anticipation of the forthcoming round of price increases.

FOL8 has been a particularly good deal, but there's not the remotest chance of them coming up with anything anywhere near it pricewise - wholesale prices have moved way ahead since FOL8 prices were set.

Wait, by all means, but you could find by 1 July that prices are higher than now, not lower.
  • HoofeHearted
    HoofeHearted Posts: 2,651 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I was on FOL7 and wanted to change to SaveOnline 6. I could have done it myself online, but was worried about changing before the 1st of the following month when FOL7 finished. I used the online contact form, asking Eon to change me over on 1st May. I received an email (11th April) saying "I can't arrange a change of tariff that far in the future, but I will check on 3rd May for the best tariff for you".

On 3rd May SOL6 was no more, so I was put on to SOL7 (dearer than SOL6). At that point a searched for a better deal and am changing over to nPower.

So be warned; delay at your peril!
  • merchcon55
    merchcon55 Posts: 303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just in the past 2 weeks, Nat Gas has gone up from around $4.30 to $4.80 yesterday (+12%) - I trade commodities, and I am anticipating that Nat Gas will go to $6 area within 3-6 months. So try and lock those fixed rates in sooner rather than later folks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport