Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • mink35
    • 8th Jan 05, 1:22 PM
    Re: recpies for tefal electic steamer
    • 8th Jan 05, 1:22 PM
    Ditto got one for Christmas :-/

Not used it yet tho
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 9th Jan 05, 9:49 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 9th Jan 05, 9:49 PM
    • 9th Jan 05, 9:49 PM
    I got one a couple of years ago and used it once... it took longer to cook than my steamer pan on the hob and lots of fiddly bits to wash up. We cook using a 3 tier steamer and a griddle on the hob for most meals, 2 rings cook everything. Hope you get on better with yours
    • juno
    • By juno 10th Jan 05, 2:51 AM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 9,153 Thanks
    juno
    • 10th Jan 05, 2:51 AM
    • 10th Jan 05, 2:51 AM
    I haven't experimented with mine much yet (and it's not Tefal, it's the Asda cheap one) but I think steamed chicken is really nice!

And steamed pasta doesn't work. If you're doing potatoes they need loads longer than the 15 mins my book says to give them. But I've never liked tinned potatoes, and done in the steamer they come out OK!

It also helps if you remember to plug it in before turning the timer on, as on mine the timer still works but the food isn't cooked too well. And turn it off before taking the lid off!
  • Lucie
    • 10th Jan 05, 1:53 PM
    • 10th Jan 05, 1:53 PM
    TBH I don't use my steamer that much, it's another one of those "dust gatherers" (as my nephews calls them!). But my Mum gave it to me, so it didn't cost me anything. I use it mostly for sunday lunch - steaming the potatoes before they go in to roast & cooking the veg. I quite often cook a chicken in advance, so I use the steamer to warm the chicken up again before serving.
    Rice is rubbish in it, like pasta by the sounds of it.
    I also cook pieces of fish in it for a fish pie, but that's about it.
    I would advise anyone who is thinking of getting one just to get a 2 tier bamboo steamer for about a fiver & use that over a pan of water instead! Takes up a lot less cupboard space too.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 10th Jan 05, 2:17 PM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    • 10th Jan 05, 2:17 PM
    • 10th Jan 05, 2:17 PM
    I'm another who would rather use my 3 tier stainless steel one on hob, bought it from Asda 4yrs ago and still looks like new, and it's used nearly every day ;D
    • Sheel
    • By Sheel 10th Jan 05, 2:34 PM
    • 44,846 Posts
    • 40,220 Thanks
    Sheel
    • 10th Jan 05, 2:34 PM
    • 10th Jan 05, 2:34 PM
    I use my steamer all the time , mainly for vegetables , but I occasionally do chicken or salmon in it , so sometimes I have cooked the whole meal in it. Chicken or salmon in one tier , potatoes in another and veg in the 3rd tier

I wouldn't want to be without it 8)
  • samnmalc
    • 10th Jan 05, 2:43 PM
    • 10th Jan 05, 2:43 PM
    I got one a couple of weeks ago and am thrilled with it. So easy and quick to cook veg and no more dirty saucepans!! ;D
    The kids have never eaten so healthily
    I think I will be using it alot
  • stellagypsy
    • 11th Jan 05, 8:50 PM
    • 11th Jan 05, 8:50 PM
    Thanks, everyone.

My rice came out really good, I had an electric rice cooker a couple of years ago which was great but it broke and we didn't replace it - the tefal steamer does the rice as good as the cooker ever did. I don't like pasta so I won't make the mistake of trying that!! My spuds were nice too, but they were new potatoes and I put them on for 30 mins. I love the taste of steamed vegetables.

I too have a stainless steel steamer set, which I used a lot for veg but nothing else. It is so big it filled teh dishwasher!! I thought this one might be a bit more versatile.

How do you do the chicken? Do you do it whole or portions? Has anyone done a steamed jammy suet pudding or rice pudding yet?

Stella
    • Agutka
    • By Agutka 13th Jan 05, 1:47 AM
    • 2,366 Posts
    • 1,965 Thanks
    Agutka
    I use mine a LOT for veggies. Usually to go with something fishy or meaty out of the oven. That way it's all prepared and ready at the same time.
    The only whole meal I have made in the steamer (three times so far) was steamed vegetables and steamed rice with steamed chicken breast. I have never had anything so healthy tasting in my life. It was bland (partner was begging for a sauce of some sort), but at the same time you could really taste all the flavours. As much as boiled rice can have a flavour. Weird experience.
    Good luck with the recipe search.
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 15th Jan 05, 6:56 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Mainly use mine for steaming vegetables, which taste so much better.
    Have used it for haggis, potatoes and turnip, which turned out really well - Burns night 25th January. From what I can remember from last year, I put the haggis in tinfoil first, but can't remember if you are supposed to do this, or because I am a vegetarian, didn't want the meat content mixing flavours with the vegetables and the veggie haggis!
    • Westywoodpecker
    • By Westywoodpecker 16th Jan 05, 12:45 PM
    • 6,351 Posts
    • 13,508 Thanks
    Westywoodpecker
    I also bought one a couple of weeks ago. So far I've only done veg, but was very surprised at how quick it is, and how even the humble carrot tastes different. I intend to try fish in it this week.
  • starlorna22
    Help - cooking with steamer
    Hi,
    I've decided to use the steamer (for the first time) to do my veg while I'm cooking tea - at the moment, but I can;t find the manual. I have fresh carrots, and frozen broccolli and cauliflower, could someone please tell me how long I should leave them in for? They've been in for about 5 mins already.
    Thanks
  • leonie
    Hmmm thats a bit tricky, cos it depends on how fine you cut your carrots, slices, wedges etc, but as a rule, I do my carrots for about 18 mins on my electric steamer and about 14 mins with my stove top one. Thats for carrot strips.

Sorry cant help with the frozen veg as I dont use it :-)
  • competitionscafe
    I do (whole) carrots for 5 minutes and cauli florets for 7 to 10 mins - but I like my carrots with a bit of crunch. This is in a colander on top of a saucepan (with the suacepan lid on top of the colander) - haven't used my electric steamer for years!! (maybe they are slower?) Otherwise just keep tasting them until they are how you like.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • leonie
    Well I didnt realise that electric steamers were slower until recently when mine conked out and I borrowed a stove top one and it was faster. I was desperate to get a new electric one, but now I think i'll wait and explore what is available in the stove top market.
    • Aries
    • By Aries 11th Oct 05, 5:40 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    Aries
    In my Tefal handbook the cooking times are
    Carrots 500g fresh 10 min sliced thin
    Broccoli 400g fresh 19 min cut in small florets
    ,, 400g frozen 13 min
    mushrooms 500gfresh 11 min
    cauliflower 1 average 20-25 min in small florets
    cabbage 600g fresh 15-18 min sliced
    Fine green Beans 500g fresh 20-25 min
    ,, 500g frozen 25-30 min
    Corn on the cob 500g fresh 30 min
    Leeks 500g fresh 8min sliced thin
    Old Potatoes 600g 20-25 min small cubes
    New potatoes 600g 35-40 min

I hpe this helps.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 11th Oct 05, 6:31 PM
    • 9,156 Posts
    • 16,982 Thanks
    calleyw
    Also it depends on how many tiers you are using and how much you put in each tier.

I steam frozen veg for 30-40 mins it sounds a lot but then it depends if you want it cooked or still hard.

Yours

Calley
  • starlorna22
    Thanks everyone for getting back to me.
    I ended up leaving them in for just under 20 mins and they were really nice, tasted a lot fresher than boiled . . .
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 12th Oct 05, 8:23 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I haven't used my electric steamer for a long time now as, like competitionscafe, I find my stove-top steamer to be more efficient, but I do remember they took longer than you would expect. I'd made a roast a dinner one day and set the steamer to something like 20 mins, expecting that to be plenty of time, and stupidly didn't check before serving up only to find everything was only half-cooked

I think it makes a difference in which layers you position everything too, so the denser veg, e.g. potatoes, would do better in the bottom with maybe carrots next and then something like broccoli or cabbage in the top. I'd say you need at least 30 mins to cook things through, if you still like your veggies to have a bit of "bite", if not longer!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,676Posts Today

8,251Users online

Martin's Twitter