PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help - cooking with steamer

Options
Hi everyone - lots of good stuf on here, have just bookmarked the "food" thread for future reference.

I got a 3-tier Tefal food steamer at Xmas sales - does veg, rice, fish lovely BUT the recipe book is a bit limited - does any one else have one and what do you cook in it?

TIA, Stella

Comments

• mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ditto got one for Christmas :-/

Not used it yet tho :)
    Mink
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I got one a couple of years ago and used it once... it took longer to cook than my steamer pan on the hob and lots of fiddly bits to wash up. We cook using a 3 tier steamer and a griddle on the hob for most meals, 2 rings cook everything. Hope you get on better with yours ;)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I haven't experimented with mine much yet (and it's not Tefal, it's the Asda cheap one) but I think steamed chicken is really nice!

And steamed pasta doesn't work. If you're doing potatoes they need loads longer than the 15 mins my book says to give them. But I've never liked tinned potatoes, and done in the steamer they come out OK!

It also helps if you remember to plug it in before turning the timer on, as on mine the timer still works but the food isn't cooked too well. And turn it off before taking the lid off!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TBH I don't use my steamer that much, it's another one of those "dust gatherers" (as my nephews calls them!). But my Mum gave it to me, so it didn't cost me anything. I use it mostly for sunday lunch - steaming the potatoes before they go in to roast & cooking the veg. I quite often cook a chicken in advance, so I use the steamer to warm the chicken up again before serving.
    Rice is rubbish in it, like pasta by the sounds of it.
    I also cook pieces of fish in it for a fish pie, but that's about it.
    I would advise anyone who is thinking of getting one just to get a 2 tier bamboo steamer for about a fiver & use that over a pan of water instead! Takes up a lot less cupboard space too.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm another who would rather use my 3 tier stainless steel one on hob, bought it from Asda 4yrs ago and still looks like new, and it's used nearly every day ;D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I use my steamer all the time , mainly for vegetables , but I occasionally do chicken or salmon in it , so sometimes I have cooked the whole meal in it. Chicken or salmon in one tier , potatoes in another and veg in the 3rd tier

I wouldn't want to be without it 8)
    Same old same old since 2008

• samnmalc
    samnmalc Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    I got one a couple of weeks ago and am thrilled with it. So easy and quick to cook veg and no more dirty saucepans!! ;D
    The kids have never eaten so healthily :)
    I think I will be using it alot :D
  • stellagypsy
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.

My rice came out really good, I had an electric rice cooker a couple of years ago which was great but it broke and we didn't replace it - the tefal steamer does the rice as good as the cooker ever did. I don't like pasta so I won't make the mistake of trying that!! My spuds were nice too, but they were new potatoes and I put them on for 30 mins. I love the taste of steamed vegetables.

I too have a stainless steel steamer set, which I used a lot for veg but nothing else. It is so big it filled teh dishwasher!! I thought this one might be a bit more versatile.

How do you do the chicken? Do you do it whole or portions? Has anyone done a steamed jammy suet pudding or rice pudding yet?

Stella
  • Agutka
    Agutka Posts: 2,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use mine a LOT for veggies. Usually to go with something fishy or meaty out of the oven. That way it's all prepared and ready at the same time.
    The only whole meal I have made in the steamer (three times so far) was steamed vegetables and steamed rice with steamed chicken breast. I have never had anything so healthy tasting in my life. It was bland (partner was begging for a sauce of some sort), but at the same time you could really taste all the flavours. As much as boiled rice can have a flavour. Weird experience.
    Good luck with the recipe search.
    :wall:
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mainly use mine for steaming vegetables, which taste so much better.
    Have used it for haggis, potatoes and turnip, which turned out really well - Burns night 25th January. From what I can remember from last year, I put the haggis in tinfoil first, but can't remember if you are supposed to do this, or because I am a vegetarian, didn't want the meat content mixing flavours with the vegetables and the veggie haggis!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure