PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help - cooking with steamer

Options

Comments

• Sallys_Savings
    Sallys_Savings Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Options
    ohh no don't recycle......have you never tried it?

The vegetables taste so much better when cooked in this way.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    I have this steamer myself. I use it regularly but have never managed to get all my veg cooekd at the same time. All pots, carrots, chopped to a similar size but i still can't get them all ready at the same time. Can anyone give me any pointers please?
  • flufff
    flufff Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    any suggestions as to what I could put in it and how to use it would be gratefully appreciated
  • lister
    lister Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    Zziggi wrote:
    I have this steamer myself. I use it regularly but have never managed to get all my veg cooekd at the same time. All pots, carrots, chopped to a similar size but i still can't get them all ready at the same time. Can anyone give me any pointers please?

You need multiple tiers or to add the veg at different times. The manuals usually claim that tier height makes a difference, but to be honest it is negligible compared with how you cut the veg etc.

Some times I find work:

Mushrooms (closed cup or chestnut, quartered)- 20 minutes
    Carrots (thin batons) - 12 minutes
    Broad beans - 10 minutes
    Onion rings (not battered) - 8 minutes
    Peppers - 8 minutes
    Spring greens/kale - 5-10 minutes (depends how thick the leaves are)
    Frozen peas - 8-10 minutes
    French beans - 10 minutes
    Runner beans (thinly sliced and not too old) - 10 minutes

I don't recommend some of the rubbish the manuals will try and peddle. It really isn't worth doing rice, eggs etc. in a steamer for example. I also don't bother doing spuds that way either. Takes too long and doesn't produce a taste benefit.

Will vary a bit with the machine, but not very much. Basically it is trial and error. Make a note of the times you try and adjust each time until you get it right. If you are after 'fire-and-forget' food, then steamers are hard work, because to do a range of veg you do have to keep coming back to put the next stuff in.
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh glad i found this post!! i was sorting my cupboards out the other day and i found my steamer....still unused in its box !!! Bought it when i was on one of my health kicks but never used it cos i thought there'd be too much messing about!! Might give it a go now you've reminded me about it!!
  • SuperCooper
    SuperCooper Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I bought an electric steamer a few months ago - big mistake for me as it sits in the cupboard most of the time .

I wish I'd bought a stainless steel stove top one - at least I could mash potatoes in the bottom one - you can't in the plastic basket type things on an electric type. It would save on the washing up.

Should have found this site first and asked you lovely people for advice.
  • ForOurFuture
    Options
    I have worn out 3 electric steamers and just about to invest in a 4th. We use it every day to cook our vegetables. Normally we have carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, leeks, cabbage and courgettes. We cook them all together for 25 minutes and they come out perfectly (for us). 5 minutes longer for granddad as he has problems with his teeth!! If I am doing asparagus I pop them in for about 8 minutes before the 25 minutes are up, likewise spinach and mangetoute for about 4 minutes before end cooking time. I occasionally do potatoes especially if I am cooking for just me and I slice them and they come out fine. I don't bother doing peas in the steamer as I find it quicker to do in microwave. I have used the same timings for each steamer that I have had. I can't live without it now!! :D
    :A ForOurFuture
  • flufff
    flufff Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thankyou I'll think i'll try doing my sunday veggies in it this weekend :-)
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    I have had a steamer for years would not cook veg any other way......I put spuds and carrots in whilst it comes to the boil, then turn it down after about 15 minutes add cauli, brocc, kidney beans, french beans whatever, everything will be cooked in 30 minutes, turn off the heat and use the water in the bottom to make gravy.......Mine is a double so I cook a steamed sponge pudding in the top......... you can steam fish and chicken wrapped in foil over your veg

My duaghter has an electric one which she bought after having steamed veg when they stayed with us.

Don't get rid of it learn to use it, you will never go back to boiling veg again...boiling destroys the vitamins and minerals in the veg, steaming also helps to keep the colour in cabbage (which does not smell when steamed) and brussels.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills