PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help - cooking with steamer

Options

Comments

• competitionscafe
    Options
    leonie wrote:
    Has anyone got a three tier stainless steel one? I mean three tiers not including the base? I really need to buy a good one but im struggling and may have to buy yet another electric one that lasts about a year! :-(

There is this hefty beast, but it isn't cheap:
    http://www.cooksandkitchens.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=273

(It's not £20, that's just for one of the inserts)

Edit: this one looks good for the price - it's a 5 tier whopper! :)
    Judge 5 Piece Steamer Set £29.99

Tremendous value for money this FIVE PIECE steamer set consists of 1 - 20cm base pan, 3 - steamers, 1- bain marie and is dishwasher and oven safe.

Steamers are so useful for healthy and economic cooking of vegetables, meat and fish - the bain marie for cooking, melting and whisking food gently over hot water.
    Produced from 18/10 mirror polished stainless steel there is also steamer and bain marie usage and recipe booklet

http://www.pots-and-pans.co.uk/acatalog/Poachers_and_Steamers.html

#
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    Thats brilliant, thankyou!

I googled for ages and couldnt find anything, mind you I was putting in four tier so I bet thats where I was going wrong. I do like that first one and if its worth the money, I would buy it as I think good pans last forever so its worth investing, especially as I use a steamer most days.

The only fault is that they dont seem to come with a rice steamer, just a pasta steamer. Im happy to do my pasta in a big pan, but rice is always nice when its steamed. This is the reason that I love electric steamers, they come with the rice insert for making perfect fluffy grains.

I wonder what Delia uses?
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've never used my rice steamer insert to actually cook rice in so no idea how it's supposed to work as it's basically just a plastic bowl on legs! It's great for using in the slowcooker though to cook veggies on top of a meat/sauce base ;)

So, if it works for you then I would have thought that you would be able to use the one from your electric steamer in a stove-top steamer the same way :confused:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• leonie_2
    Options
    Yeah thats the first thing I tried, Curry-Queen but it doesnt fit. My electric one is an oval shape. I am using a pyrex dish inside the stainless steel one at the moment but it gets very hot, and hey if im having a new kitchen gadget, I want to go the whole hog and get a new rice steaming basket lol!
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ahhh yes, of course :doh: sounds like you got the same one as me then, the big Tefal? I really should put my brain into gear before posting :o

Edit: Mind you, if you've got the big oval MR slow cooker, it's a perfect fit for that :rotfl:
    ~

• leonie_2
    Options
    Lol yup the big Tefal one here! But the baskets are so flimsy and with pretty much daily use, im finding I get through one a year!

As I mentioned earlier, I never realised just how good stainless steel ones are so im dumping my love affair with electric as soon as I find a good steel one with three steaming tiers and a rice bit.

However I do fancy one of those Miele steamers, they look wonderful, but at around a thousand pound, it looks like i'll be fancying one for a very long time! :rotfl:
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A thousand pounds???? :eek:

<falls over in shock!>
    ~

• competitionscafe
    Options
    I agree with you on both points - worth investing in good pans/cookware as they last forever - I have Le Creuset casserole dishes and a German made griddle pan which are all still going strong and should do for years to come. Have made the mistake of buying cheap in the past and they didn't last a year, so it's false economy. I do usually wait for sales and offers though - got the Le Creuset stuff half price and 25% off the griddle pan. Oh and steamed rice is very good too, not sure why these stainless steel steamers don't seem to have them - maybe there is an insert available, might be worth contacting the manufacturer or distributor? I contacted the UK distributor of a German cookware company once and got a very helpful reply within a couple of hours!
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    leonie wrote:
    Lol yup the big Tefal one here! But the baskets are so flimsy and with pretty much daily use, im finding I get through one a year!

As I mentioned earlier, I never realised just how good stainless steel ones are so im dumping my love affair with electric as soon as I find a good steel one with three steaming tiers and a rice bit.

However I do fancy one of those Miele steamers, they look wonderful, but at around a thousand pound, it looks like i'll be fancying one for a very long time! :rotfl:

PLEASE PLEASE tell me you mean one of those steam ovens and not a 1000 pound hob top steamer :eek:
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrsB wrote:
    PLEASE PLEASE tell me you mean one of those steam ovens and not a 1000 pound hob top steamer :eek:

Ohhhhh you mean one of these ...

dg155b3jk.jpg

I'd never heard of them before, but curiosity got the better of me after hearing the price :eek:
    ~

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure