Esporta - cancelling gym membership

Options

Comments

• chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just finished my 12 month contract with esporta and had to give 3 months notice which I did in June. I went to hand my entry cards in and they said they hadn't recieved any notice from me. therefore I would have to pay another 3 months from now. This is over £300. I can use it but can no longer afford. What can I do now? do I cancel my Direct debit?
    did u get confirmation of the cancellation?

cancel d/d and they will chase u for the money. dont do it.
  • artha
    artha Posts: 5,254 Forumite
    Options
    I have just finished my 12 month contract with esporta and had to give 3 months notice which I did in June. I went to hand my entry cards in and they said they hadn't recieved any notice from me. therefore I would have to pay another 3 months from now. This is over £300. I can use it but can no longer afford. What can I do now? do I cancel my Direct debit?

see post No 27 on this thread. Yours also seems to be a case for reasonable notice(i.e 1month)after the 12 month contract has been completed. We are currently in dispute with Esporta after they failed to accept ever having received written notice after 12 months and then requiring a further 3 months after that. The Office of Fair Trading Ruling in post 27 surely sets a precedent that 3 months is unfair after satisfying the original 12 month sign up. Anyone else got any comments?
    Awaiting a new sig
  • hi all, i need some advice, a few days ago i joined esporta at warwickshire as my partner went there too. however he is now my ex-partner and he paid for my membership as im a student....well is there anyway of me getting out of the contract as i cant afford the payments, and do expect my ex to carry on paying :confused:
  • sarah32_2
    Options
    I joined Esporta in 2005 so have been going for over 3 years, i signed a 12 month contract at the time and haven't signed anything since. I just called to cancel and give a months notice and they have told me that any members who joined 2005 onwards have to give 3 months notice. Anyone who joined pre 2005 only have to give 1 month. Is this true? I haven't kept my contract to check. It is a bit excessive.
  • artha
    artha Posts: 5,254 Forumite
    Options
    sarah32 wrote: »
    I joined Esporta in 2005 so have been going for over 3 years, i signed a 12 month contract at the time and haven't signed anything since. I just called to cancel and give a months notice and they have told me that any members who joined 2005 onwards have to give 3 months notice. Anyone who joined pre 2005 only have to give 1 month. Is this true? I haven't kept my contract to check. It is a bit excessive.

see my post above and the reference made to an earlier post.
    try writing a letter and citing the case in post 27 where the Office Of Fair Trading ruled that 3 months notice, once the initial contracted period of 12 months is completed, is excessive and is at odds with the unfair contracts act 1999.
    Awaiting a new sig
  • new2civvystreet
    Options
    my manager wants me to relocate and my nearest esporta will be 35 miles away (44 minute drive). I need to swim on a regular basis to keep my back mobile (it's the only exercise I can do). I can't afford another gym and I can't afford to travel to my nearest esporta regularly.

I joined about a month ago. Needless to say I'm screwed. :(

Strangely I don't feel better after having a winge!
    Trying to only spend money when I absolutely have to.
    Barclaycard: £4559-1500 = £3059 (Will have £900 to add to that end of September)
    Loan from Friend = £2000
  • liz_uk
    liz_uk Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    A friend of mine has just had the baliffs in for an £845 esporta debt!!

My friend became extremely ill during her pregnancy, and has been signed off by the doctor for the last 6 months.

Esporta would not let her out of her contract.

This evening she had a loud banging on her door. Followed by a letter from a baliff asking her to call him.

Who should she go to for advise??
    Debt Free Jan 2010!
    (Be happy) the state of your life is nothing more than the state of your mind! X
    :j
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    liz_uk wrote: »
    A friend of mine has just had the baliffs in for an £845 esporta debt!!

My friend became extremely ill during her pregnancy, and has been signed off by the doctor for the last 6 months.

Esporta would not let her out of her contract.

This evening she had a loud banging on her door. Followed by a letter from a baliff asking her to call him.

Who should she go to for advise??

It was more likely to be a debt collector than a bailiff. At this point I would suggest your friend get in touch with the Citizens advice. They will be the quickest and most effective way at this point of sorting it out
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • TiggerS123
    Options
    my manager wants me to relocate and my nearest esporta will be 35 miles away (44 minute drive). I need to swim on a regular basis to keep my back mobile (it's the only exercise I can do). I can't afford another gym and I can't afford to travel to my nearest esporta regularly.

I joined about a month ago. Needless to say I'm screwed. :(

Strangely I don't feel better after having a winge!

I am in the same position and have just been told by Esporta Head Office that I can not cancel my membership and I am tied to the 12 month committment period until May 2009. I would have to travel 30 mins each way in order to use the nearest Esporta and apparently they deem anything under 45 minutes as reasonable. I am very tempted to test this in the Courts, but do not want to commence the battle with them! I am a Solictor (sadly not contract law!) and I have asked someone to take a look at it for me. I will let you know if I get anywhere!

If anyone else is in a similar position I would be grateful for any suggestions.
  • TiggerS123
    Options
    TiggerS123 wrote: »
    I am in the same position and have just been told by Esporta Head Office that I can not cancel my membership and I am tied to the 12 month committment period until May 2009. I would have to travel 30 mins each way in order to use the nearest Esporta and apparently they deem anything under 45 minutes as reasonable. I am very tempted to test this in the Courts, but do not want to commence the battle with them! I am a Solictor (sadly not contract law!) and I have asked someone to take a look at it for me. I will let you know if I get anywhere!

If anyone else is in a similar position I would be grateful for any suggestions.

In the meantime, there is a website called reviewcentre.com and it has some very helpful discussions on the point of whether or not a months notice is sufficient even though the contract requires 3 months!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure