Forum Home» Praise, Vent & Warnings

Esporta - cancelling gym membership - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Esporta - cancelling gym membership

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
86 replies 64.3K views

Replies

• arthaartha Forumite
    5.3K posts
    TiggerS123 wrote: »
    In the meantime, there is a website called reviewcentre.com and it has some very helpful discussions on the point of whether or not a months notice is sufficient even though the contract requires 3 months!

Regardless of whether its 1month or 3 months inside the original 12 month contract what is your opinion on how much notice needs to be given outside the 12 month contract. What does your contract say?
    Awaiting a new sig
  • RHYSDADRHYSDAD Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Well, i'm glad i read this thread. I have no intention of joining a gym but if i did, i'd steer well f**king clear of robsporta.................
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• marleyboymarleyboy Forumite
    16.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    id go jogging and cycling, its far cheaper ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • GingernutmegGingernutmeg Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely avoid Esporta. My OH was a member and we had to move out of the area for gym he'd originally joined, so he wanted to cancel his contract. There is a clause stating that if you're further than a 45 minute journey away from an Esporta gym then that can be used as a reason to cancel the contract, so we printed off the AA route planner showing that our new house was just under an hour away from the nearest Esporta, and sent it to their head office - OH uses the gym three times a week and felt that a two hour round trip each time was totally unreasonable. OH was told that they'd accepted this, and that his membership would be cancelled at no further cost. However, the person who told him this 'left' and then Esporta refused to honour this, saying that he'd have to pay off the rest of his contract. Eventually, as they got nastier, OH simply paid them to get them off his back. He was extremely annoyed with the way they handled this, and found them really unprofessional - he's still getting texts from them saying that they hope he's enjoying his membership ...

He was also really disappointed with what he actually got for his membership, versus what was 'promised' when he signed up. He found that the gym he joined really went downhill over the last year, and the equipment wasn't maintained well at all - OH has managed gyms in the States and he was shocked at how unprofessional Esporta could be. He's vowed never to join them again and now uses the local council gyms - much cheaper, better equipment that's maintained well, and no contract.

• I've noticed another website quoting 40 minutes, not 45 for the relocation clause.... does anyone know the exact number? As I will be 44 minutes from my 'local' esporta according to the AA roadplanner (which Esporta uses to measure) it's quite an important thing!
    astrotrax wrote: »
    Signed up foolishly on Sat. Told staff was move to New Zealand soon so could not sign a 12 month contract. They handed me a 6 month contract and told me i could council after 3.
    There's a 6 month contract!!! :eek:

I'm now upset. I kept asking the membership sales guy if there was anything less than 12 months and he said no.

I'll pay because I signed a contract. I'll try the relocation/redundancy thing if I'm entitled to it.

Other than that I'll just cry and then get unfit due to not being able to use the stupid gym or afford a membership to a second gym.
    Trying to only spend money when I absolutely have to.
    Barclaycard: £4559-1500 = £3059 (Will have £900 to add to that end of September)
    Loan from Friend = £2000
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Hi

I had an awful experience with Esporta which I have FINALLY resolved. I tried to cancel my membership but they wouldn't acknowledge my emails etc. I had ARC phoning me constantly and in the end sought the advice of Which? Legal Services, informed the CAB and Trading Standards. After many letters and phone calls back and forth, this is the letter I finally sent to Esporta which led dropping the case. I have of course removed my personal details and I've left it a while to post this in case they found something to pull me up on again. But it seems this has finally been put to rest:

[FONT=&quot][my email]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][my phone number][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Your ref:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][date][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]FOR YOUR URGENT ATTENTION[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Esporta Islington[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]27 Essex Road[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]London[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]N1 2SD[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Dear Natasha Welman[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Re: Esporta Membership Dispute[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I refer to your telephone calls of 9 September, at 08:47, 09:17 and 09:38, and my return call to you of 9 September, at 10:13, in which you informed me of Esporta Islington’s claim that I have an outstanding balance with them. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have taken legal advice and am therefore enclosing with this letter copies of three emails, namely:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Email dated 6 March 2008 addressed to [/FONT][FONT=&quot][email protected], cc: [EMAIL="recruitment.islington@esporta.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] and myself, in which I inform Esporta Islington of my intention to cancel my membership upon termination of the initial contractual terms (which were 12 months). [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Email dated 6 May 2008 addressed to [EMAIL="suggestions.islington@esporta.com"][email protected][/EMAIL], cc: [EMAIL="recruitment.islington@esporta.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] and myself, in which I inform Esporta Islington of my intention to cancel my membership upon termination of the initial contractual terms (which were 12 months).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Email dated 1 July 2008 addressed to [EMAIL="suggestions.islington@esporta.com"][email protected][/EMAIL], cc: [EMAIL="recruitment.islington@esporta.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] and myself, in which, having had no response to my previous two emails, I inform Esporta Islington of my immediate plan to cancel my direct debit and terminate my membership as per agreed terms.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I should add that I also telephoned three times, on approximately 12 March 2008, 03 May 2008 and 30 June 2008 in an attempt to confirm my intentions verbally with Esporta Islington. On each occasion I left my details with a member of staff requesting a return call to finalise the termination of my agreement. However, no such return call was ever received. I do not have the exact dates of these calls, but certainly Vodafone would, should the need arise, be able to confirm that these calls were indeed made. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It has come to my attention that Esporta Health Clubs have been widely publicised in the media recently for just such harassment as detailed above. I therefore trust that subsequent to receipt of this letter and its attachments, attempts by yourselves to recover monies clearly inadvertently demanded of me for Esporta Islington will cease, and that you will confirm with your client that this represents an error in communication. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Would you please also email me a scanned copy of my original, signed contract with Esporta Islington, which you undoubtedly by now have in your possession in view of the part you are now playing in this dispute.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My apologies for only providing an email address and telephone number, but due to a change of employment circumstances I am currently unable to provide a permanent residential address, and am relying on the good will of family and friends for the time being. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yours sincerely[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][my name] (Miss)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Encs.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cc: Nathasha Welman, Esporta Islington[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] My legal advisor[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] File[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All copies posted recorded delivery[/FONT]

I also sent this to ARC

[FONT=&quot]Dear Managing Director of ARC (Europe) Ltd[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Re: Esporta Membership Dispute[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I refer to your telephone calls of 9 September, at 08:47, 09:17 and 09:38, and my return call to you of 9 September, at 10:13, in which you informed me of Esporta Islington’s claim that I have an outstanding balance with them. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have taken legal advice and am therefore enclosing with this letter copies of three emails, namely:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Email dated 6 March 2008 addressed to [/FONT][FONT=&quot][email protected], cc: [EMAIL="recruitment.islington@esporta.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] and myself, in which I inform Esporta Islington of my intention to cancel my membership upon termination of the initial contractual terms (which were 12 months). [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Email dated 6 May 2008 addressed to [EMAIL="suggestions.islington@esporta.com"][email protected][/EMAIL], cc: [EMAIL="recruitment.islington@esporta.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] and myself, in which I inform Esporta Islington of my intention to cancel my membership upon termination of the initial contractual terms (which were 12 months).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Email dated 1 July 2008 addressed to [EMAIL="suggestions.islington@esporta.com"][email protected][/EMAIL], cc: [EMAIL="recruitment.islington@esporta.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] and myself, in which, having had no response to my previous two emails, I inform Esporta Islington of my immediate plan to cancel my direct debit and terminate my membership as per agreed terms.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I should add that I also telephoned three times, on approximately 12 March 2008, 03 May 2008 and 30 June 2008 in an attempt to confirm my intentions verbally with Esporta Islington. On each occasion I left my details with a member of staff requesting a return call to finalise the termination of my agreement. However, no such return call was ever received. I do not have the exact dates of these calls, but certainly Vodafone would, should the need arise, be able to confirm that these calls were indeed made. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It has come to my attention that Esporta Health Clubs have been widely publicised in the media recently for just such harassment as detailed above. I therefore trust that subsequent to receipt of this letter and its attachments, attempts by yourselves to recover monies clearly inadvertently demanded of me for Esporta Islington will cease, and that you will confirm with your client that this represents an error in communication.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have logged all calls from yourselves and would like to draw your attention to the ‘Office of Fair Trading’ guidelines which state that if a debt is disputed it [/FONT][FONT=&quot]should only be pursued by legal means, not by harassment. May I also remind you of "Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970" which makes it a criminal offence to harass individuals for money not due, or disputed. Trading standards have powers to intervene using the ‘Protection from Harassment Act 1977’.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Would you please also email me, or arrange for Esporta Islington to email me, a scanned copy of my original, signed contract with Esporta Islington, which you undoubtedly by now have in your possession in view of the part you are now playing in this dispute.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My apologies for only providing an email address and telephone number, but due to a change of employment circumstances I am currently unable to provide a permanent residential address, and am relying on the good will of family and friends for the time being. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yours sincerely[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][my name] (Miss)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Encs.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cc: Nathasha Welman, Esporta Islington[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Esporta Group Limited[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] My legal advisor[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Trading Standards[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Citizens Advice Bureau[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] File[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All copies posted recorded delivery[/FONT]

I hope this of use to some of you, particularly the legal claims made in the second letter.

Good luck.
  • Great post he4therlouise, thanks. I'll bookmark it for future reference!

Good news for me is that my boss has decided to keep me where I am so I now don't need to worry about trying for the relocation clause at the moment. Although one day I will probably need to cancel my membership so Esporta had better watch out!
    Barclaycard: £4559-1500 = £3059 (Will have £900 to add to that end of September)
    Loan from Friend = £2000
  • I as wondering if ayone could help.

I took out a contract with esporta on the basis that the first month was free , the contract staes the direct would not come till nov 2008 but they fist direct debit was actualy taken in october 2008 (which took my account overdrawn) this money was not refund until two months later . At the point of the money being wrongly taken I had already decided the club was not me (bad cusotmer service , rude staff etc etc) and told them as they had breeched the contract I would be cancelling.

I never heard back from them regarding this , so worte two letters which they did not respond to and cancelled my DD . I have now recived a letter from a debt agency saying if I do not pay in full they will take it to the county court.

Am I within my rights to canel or not?
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    17.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I as wondering if ayone could help.

I took out a contract with esporta on the basis that the first month was free , the contract staes the direct would not come till nov 2008 but they fist direct debit was actualy taken in october 2008 (which took my account overdrawn) this money was not refund until two months later . At the point of the money being wrongly taken I had already decided the club was not me (bad cusotmer service , rude staff etc etc) and told them as they had breeched the contract I would be cancelling.

I never heard back from them regarding this , so worte two letters which they did not respond to and cancelled my DD . I have now recived a letter from a debt agency saying if I do not pay in full they will take it to the county court.

Am I within my rights to canel or not?

No, you were not within your rights to cancel.

The resolution of them repaying the money they shouldn't have taken (plus any charges incurred for going overdrawn) was the resolution to the initial problem, but I'm presuming you signed a 12 month contract with them, which unfortunately you would have to adhere to.

Do make sure you also write to them cancelling this 12 month contract, incase they try and renew it for another 12 months!

In short, you will have to pay them the money, but perhaps you could persuade them that as you haven't been able to use the gym, the 12 month contract starts now?? You'll have to appeal to their good nature, but in the mean time, might as well use the gym!

Always send letters to them via recorded delivery, or delivery them by hand and get a receipt.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • I knew it couldn't last, I've been told now I probably will be moved afterall. In a few months. Will try for the relocation clause and keep the thread updated with the result...

I suspect my contract was for 1 year 1 month as I got the first month free but I think that the contract starts from the date of MY first payment. One more thing to sulk about. I'm never joining a gym for a minimum of a year again. Life is too unpredictable.
    Loan from Friend = £2000
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support