Forum Home» Praise, Vent & Warnings

Esporta - cancelling gym membership - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Esporta - cancelling gym membership

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
86 replies 64.3K views

Replies

• Coxyhog - have you managed to resolve your issue as i am going through the same problems with Esporta/ARC??
  • gremlyngremlyn Forumite
    2 posts
    My 12 Month Contract Runs out in June.

As i Signed for 12 Months... Does that mean in JUNE, thats the last payment, Done and Dusted? OR do i have to give notice AFTER my contract runs out?

If so, Is it worth cancelling now? so it actually finishes in june?

Dave
  • Art_2Art_2 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    gremlyn wrote: »
    My 12 Month Contract Runs out in June.

As i Signed for 12 Months... Does that mean in JUNE, thats the last payment, Done and Dusted? OR do i have to give notice AFTER my contract runs out?

If so, Is it worth cancelling now? so it actually finishes in june?

Dave

If your 12 month membership ends in June then you can't give 3 months notice until then. Your notice will allow you to leave in October.

Regards,
    Art.

• gremlyngremlyn Forumite
    2 posts
    That seems the Strangest 12 month Contract ive ever seen... So when they say you sign up for 12 months, It isnt actually 12 months its actually 15..

And ive read around here you can put in 3 months notice after 6 months is up, Ive recently Moved 200 Mile away from my gym, and 50 miles to the nearest one...

Going to give them a ring today xD
  • I had all of my belongings stolen from locker number 10 in the male changing rooms in Esporta Croydon on Wednesday 30th June at 8.30pm, and the locker was completely locked when I came back from my workout leading Sutton Police to suggest that it is most likely someone with a master key who did it, such as gym staff. I lost about £800 worth of stuff including an iPhone, expensive designer glasses. I signed up to a 12 month contract in April, so still have 9 months remaining. It says in the contract that I can only cancel if I move out of the area, are made redundant or have a GP note. However, I feel the gym is not secure, I have to put my belongings somewhere, and despite the high membership fees, they do not have CCTV inside or outside the changing rooms (although CCTV is all over the rest of the gym). Do I have any rights to cancel my gym membership, as the amount lost is more than my yearly gym membership fees, and I've simply lost so much, I don't want to pay for the gym anymore, especially as they are not putting anything into place to stop it.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • NADNAD Forumite
    2 posts
    Hello all, I've been a member with Esporta since January and I tried to cancel my membership last month but they said its on a 12 months contact so they told me if i'm desperate to cancel it then I should write them a letter.
    Then I send them a letter last week by post. Writing that I can't afford to pay because im unemployed + im a student and im not getting any financial support (i.e. EMA because they don’t pay during holidays). Also, i don't have any money in my bank account.
    As I’m a Muslim, I also wrote on the letter that RAMADAN is coming up in 2nd week of August.

But I haven’t heard anything form them yet. what shall I do next? Any advice? Thanks in advance.
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find the attitude here of some a little shocking. Surely if you sign up to a 12 month contract, you should expect to pay the 12 months regardless? I can't see many companies letting you drop out of a contract so why should Esporta?

As for the person who was robbed, you really should take it further as it does seem likely to be an inside job. Write to the manager, informing them of what happened and let him know that the appropriate parties will be informed. I really don't think CCTV in the changing rooms is reasonable option though, I doubt it's even legal.
  • NAD - you need to write on your letter that you will not be paying unless you hear otherwise. Then they have to reply, otherwise you cancel your DD. If you refuse to pay they cannot do anything about it. Yes, they will bully you and threaten with balleifs etc, but in the end they just gave up with me. Try it..
  • Success cancelling an Esporta membership!!

Here's how, first thing write a letter telling them you will not be paying, then call them up whenever you have free time and speak to the manager or any other staff member and complain, then speak to head office, then tell them that you will speak to the police, the local MP, the local newspaper, post the information on websites and alert the Office of Fair Trading.
  • where do Esporta stand on a note from a doctor? would it automatically end a contract?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support