Forum Home» Praise, Vent & Warnings

Esporta - cancelling gym membership - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Esporta - cancelling gym membership

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
86 replies 64.3K views

Replies

• Finely got a reply from esporta head office. They reply with tough luck. You signed in the club for it to start on the 1st and so it will. I signed for only a 6 month contract but now they want 3 months council notice after the 6 months i am sure that adds up to 9?. Not sure where to take it from here.
  • Can anyone help me. I joined Esporta start of this year, but need to cancel my membership within 3 months due to a family death and the fact I had to move 70 miles away, 60 miles was the closest Esporta gym!
    I sent letters returned my cards, I was ignored, I called and was promised call backs never got them! In the end I cancelled mt direct debit so they set a debt collector on to me who was really rude, Trevor Munn c.o arc Europe, I spoke with a Ryan Lister who was so rude, I explained the situration his response was , ' so what I have buired someone recently a contracts a contract!'
    I contacted Watchdog on the matter, but I am having to pay the debt because they will not freeze the court proceedings whilst I challenge the matter! They want to continue...!

So now I am paying a years membership, I cant use the gym and I have had so many frenting letters and unprofessional conversations with Arc Europe/Trevor Munn...

Anyone that can help! Please help!
  • Esporta Victim - you should be eligible for the redundancy or relocation clause. However, that stipulates that you complete at least 6 months of your 12 month contract and then give a further 3 months notice, effectively completing 9 months. However, all cancellations are at the general manager's and existing membership queries manager's descretion. Failing that contact your local MP to act upon your behalf. They hate that.
  • RadoJoRadoJo Forumite
    1.8K posts
    I do understand that people have obviously had difficulty with their gym memberships, but I don't think that MPs should be resolving them for you. Their job is to ensure that we are represented in parliament and that our local services fulfill their obligations to tax payers, not to resolve difficulties for individuals which are, after all, down to people either not reading, or not sticking to the terms of a contract which they signed.

Esporta victim - I can totally understand why you feel aggrieved but you did do the wrong thing in cancelling the direct debit without fully resolving it with the gym first. I appreciate that they did not make it easy, but you are now in the position of 'two wrongs don't make a right'. Nearlynewmoneysaver has hit the nail on the head, that the contract would stipulate that you complete 9 months of your membership - you failed to do that, and although I can completely understand that this was due to circumstances outside your control, it's not Esporta's fault either. It does seem that they employ some pretty shoddy tactics, but once you have agreed to them, you cannot just pretend you didn't and refuse to pay.
  • Can u email me please im interested in this x

stroudy89 wrote: »
    Hi

I work for Esporta and can let you know the facts of what you have signed. Basically there is no cooling off period because you signed on the premises, as opposed to them coming to your door or place of work. The only way you can get out of it is by talking to the Club manager and telling him the truth, that it isn't something you want now and would like to cancel. The worst he can say is no and then you'll be in the same situation as you are now.

Just remember though you did like what you saw at the club and they are the best clubs in the UK. What were you planning to do there, have you any goals you want to achieve? What club was it you joined?

Hope this helps

David
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • The watchdog program on Esporta was on during my Esporta membership, so as soon as my years contract was up I stayed 2more months before I gave a months notice and wrote to the club cancelling my membership.

I thought as I paid monthly it is reasonable to give a months notice as I was no longer in the years contract. The first I know about a three month leave fee was a voice mail message saying that my direct debt would end three months after. I had already cancelled the direct debit after the months notice as I assumed they wouldn't.
    So now I am dealing with ARC Europe and Trevor Munn Solicitors, who have chased me for some rediculous amount. I say I don't owe them anything, they say I do so have asked for a copy of my contract. Im sure it will have something about 3mths leaving notice, but this hardly seems fair as I was not made aware of this at the start. Luckily the Office of Fair Trading has also taken the stance that this pratice breaches the Community Infringements Specified UK Laws//Unfair Contract Terms 1999 and the result is that the contract is unfair.

"The OFT's position was reserved in relation to: Important Points to Note, Term b) and Membership Terms and Conditions, Term 1.2 OFT has concerns that, where the member has already completed the 12 month Commitment Period, requiring him to give a further 3 month's notice if he wishes to cancel the contract is excessive. "

http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/consumer-regulations/traders/790/1/

So I think I'll see if they want to take it to court and I'll defend this position. Has anyone actually been taken to court, or have any links to court hearings?
  • hunnybeanzhunnybeanz Forumite
    111 posts
    i signed with esporta early last year whilst pregnant, ready for some 'me' time when i had baby, chance to get back to normal when i had a spare minute.
    long story short.... my daughter was 3 months prem and in ICU for 3 months, my partners mothers died of cancer, my partner lost his job as a result of both events and we were forced to leave our home due to financial issues (tax credits grrr). i wrote esporta,explained the situation, asked for some leeway in my contract, i would have been happy with even a payment plan (although permission to cancel would have been better)....and they told me basically to !!!! off.
    i offered a doctors note to say that i was under huge stress, both emotionally and financially, and suffering severely with post natal depression, they said it wouldnt make a difference because 'i was physically still able to use the gym facilities that i signed for'.

i'm now paying off my membership, which should have been circa £900, it will cost me £2500 at the rate i can afford to pay back, and will be paid by 2011. i am not allowed access to the gym (because of the arrears) and they still will not accept that i CANNOT use the gym facilities even if i was willing/able to.

basically what i mean is.....you're not on your own all you people who are being bent over by esporta.
    Debts @ LBM#1(2007)-£4375
    Debts P.I.F#1(2010)-£4375
    Debts @LBM#2(2016)-£17000
    :jDidn't learn my lesson the first time round!:j
    Long Haul Member no. 73
    DFW Member no.796
  • Hi everyone.
    I have a problem of my own I was hoping someone could help me with. I have a 12month membership with Esporta, im 3 months into it but I need to cancel the contract. I got into University through clearing which means ill have to move to Norwich but ill have to quit my full time job and become a full time student.

The Esporta gym in Norwich is not close enought to get to on foot and I wont be driving so wont be able to use that but the main problem is that I wont be able to afford to keep paying £50 a month (especially off peak as ill be in lectures) as I wont have a job.

I have spoken to the gym and the head office but they have just told me i have to continue paying reguardless of my fincancial situation.

Can anyone offer me any advice? Im thinking of cancelling my DD but am scared about what esporta will do.

Thanks,
  • OptimistOptimist Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    jabbz18 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    I have a problem of my own I was hoping someone could help me with. I have a 12month membership with Esporta, im 3 months into it but I need to cancel the contract. I got into University through clearing which means ill have to move to Norwich but ill have to quit my full time job and become a full time student.

The Esporta gym in Norwich is not close enought to get to on foot and I wont be driving so wont be able to use that but the main problem is that I wont be able to afford to keep paying £50 a month (especially off peak as ill be in lectures) as I wont have a job.

I have spoken to the gym and the head office but they have just told me i have to continue paying reguardless of my fincancial situation.

Can anyone offer me any advice? Im thinking of cancelling my DD but am scared about what esporta will do.

Thanks,

Cancelling the DD is a bad move You have signed a 12 month credit agreement and they are legally entitled to expect you to honour it. You also probably will need to give a months notice at the end of said contract or it will roll over until next year and they will expect you to pay for that read your terms and conditions

My suggestion is go to Citizens advice, whilst their information will be the same they might be able to phone Esporta up and plead on your behalf. If the explain the circumstances ie that you have no money and getting blood out of a stone is somewhat difficult then they might drop it. It is sometimes quite surprising how far organisations will go when CAB get involved

Good luck
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • I have just finished my 12 month contract with esporta and had to give 3 months notice which I did in June. I went to hand my entry cards in and they said they hadn't recieved any notice from me. therefore I would have to pay another 3 months from now. This is over £300. I can use it but can no longer afford. What can I do now? do I cancel my Direct debit?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support