🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Scottish Power fixed price to 2011

Options

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    I applied through Quidco on the 4th of May (tracked).

Finally got an email from SP on the 23rd of May saying that they had recieved the application and were processing it. I called as I was concerned that all the news about the increase in costs had hit a few days after we signed up and they said all was fine, fixed price tarriff.

Then on the 30th of May, got some paperwork through which didn't seem to reflect the fixed price tarriff. I called and after being told that no, I was on Online Energy and demanding to speak to someone else I finally (after about 30 minutes) spoke to a nice guy who said that I was definately on the fixed price tarriff and that he would keep an eye on the application for me, and would send me a letter stating the tarriff we signed up for as I was concerned that we would go past the point of no return with nothing to document the tarriff we signed up for. Needless to say, got no letter.

Had an email through a few days ago asking for meter readings and got that done online and service should start very shortly.

Called today to ask what our monthly direct debit amount would be and was told we would get that info with our welcome pack...and thought to ask again, and was told that we're showing as on the Online Energy tarriff!

Needless to say, I've lodged a complaint and they will look into it and call me back within 10 working days though the girl did say that they were getting to people in 2 - 3 days at the moment.

Trying to keep my temper in check...will see what they say when they do call.

Even if you're not on 2011 fix, you can change straight over to it online anyway.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    withabix wrote: »
    Even if you're not on 2011 fix, you can change straight over to it online anyway.

I thought they had pulled that tarriff though?

If it's still available online then perhaps I feel a bit better, though the email BexTech received seems to indicate online access won't be available for awhile.

Hopefully when they call it will all be sorted once and for all...have spent way too much time on the phone over this. :)
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • neil40
    neil40 Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    After being on this tariff with my electric,they finally are switching my gas over.This took an amazing 3 months!!.I am glad though as prices have already jumped by about 30% since i signed up!........Neil
  • Little_Star_3
    Options
    I think the tarrif online is now until 09 not 11

The most precious possession that ever comes to a man in this world is a woman's heart.
    -- Josiah G. Holland
  • mrke
    mrke Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Joined Scottish Power with the 2011 fixed price deal and a dd of £66/mth (as previous supplier), only been with them for 8-10 weeks or so and now they have 'reassessed' my monthly payments as £100. A jump of £34 or 50% !!!

Surely this is pure profiteering as my charge rate is fixed, my usage has not changed and I have yet to enter updated meter readings since my switch?

Has anyone else received this price increase?

Think of all that extra lovely interest for Scottish Power................

Be aware.........

Email from Scottish Power 23/08/08:

*Your monthly Direct Debit payment has been revised*

Thank you for paying your account by monthly Direct Debit.

As part of our ongoing commitment to deliver the best customer service we can, we have now introduced a regular check to ensure your payments closely match your consumption. This also takes into account any recent changes to your unit prices.

This review shows that your current payments are not in line with your ongoing use.*

To avoid any underpayment on your account, we have revised your monthly Direct Debit payment to £100.00.

Do you have to take action?

No, as you pay by Direct Debit, your new monthly payment will be collected automatically from your bank account, starting on 18 September 2008.

If you wish to discuss your reassessment please email us at [EMAIL="contactus@ScottishPower.com"]contactus@ScottishPower.com[/EMAIL]

Thank you for your custom.

Kind regards,

Neil Clitheroe
    Customer Collections Director
    *** This Space For Rent ***
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    mrke wrote: »
    Joined Scottish Power with the 2011 fixed price deal and a dd of £66/mth (as previous supplier), only been with them for 8-10 weeks or so and now they have 'reassessed' my monthly payments as £100. A jump of £34 or 50% !!!

Surely this is pure profiteering as my charge rate is fixed, my usage has not changed and I have yet to enter updated meter readings since my switch?

The problem is that almost all Utility firms set an initial DD far too low in order to 'lure' customers. Knowing this, it seems fairly standard practice to hike the DD even without evidence of actual consumption.

To be fair, by far the biggest complaint on MSE is that a DD was set too low and a huge debit balance has built up.

If you have a good idea of your annual consumption, and your £66 a month at the fixed rate is sufficient to cover your annual expenditure, then do as they suggest and challenge the increase.
  • mrke
    mrke Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks, yes I have questioned the increase by email and await the reply....
    *** This Space For Rent ***
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    As my meter cupboards are just by the front door, I submit meter readings every 1-2 weeks, mainly just to see how our consumption changes from week to week.

A bit nerdy I know!

However, when Scottish Power increased my monthly DD, I just emailed them pointing out that they have extremely good data to forecast my usage and that I was already paying approx 10% more than my annual usage.

I also pointed out that I would be in credit in July, August, September and October according to my calculations and that my idea of a budget account is that it should be in deficit or nil balance at all times and never in credit.

They returned my DD amount to the pre-increase figure and refunded the credit on my account!!

They did however ask me if I had allowed for price increases and I said 'ask me in March 2011'.....Oh errr yes was the reply!!!
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Rumman
    Rumman Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    On price comparisomnn websites, what is this deal called? Theres a Fixed Price 2010 price guarantee one and another Fixed price energy NSC Online etc etc..I am on this 2011 tariff but i can't tell which tariff to choose on any of the comparison websites.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    Did the price fix until 2011 come with an exit fee? I'm sure this one didn't but reading MSE newsletter mentions an exit fee - is this just on the later price fix tariffs?
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport