PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

one for the ladies

Options
just wondered how many of us use re-usable sanitary protection - which has to be one of the ultimates in money saving?

personally i have been using a mooncup for about 3 years now [inbetween pregnancies lol] it cost me £17-99 but is expected to last for 10 years of wear - so less than £1-80 A YEAR on sanitary stuff......

I recently bought some cloth sanny pads to use at the end of my periods - previously i had been using the ones i made for after the birth of my third baby :D

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.snazzypants.co.uk/shop/index.php3?formaction=catdisplay&categoryID=31

personally i wouldn't use disposables again - these are so much more effiecient and comfortable - quite apart from the cost factor [money and ecological]

I also use cloth nappies for my children and cloth wipes for their bottoms - if it is good enuf for them it is good enuf for me!
:rotfl:five children? I must be mad........ :rotfl:
aug grocery spend - £166.45

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Prior to getting pregnant I started using a Mooncup last year, it certinaly took a bit of getting used to but I would recommend it to anyone who isn't too squeamish. I haven't used washable sanny pads as to be honest my flow was so light I could get away with panty liners, but I am be in the market for some post-pregnancy so will take a look at the llink.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • swampytiggaa
    Options
    are you planning on using cloth nappies for the baby? plus i can recommend cloth breastpads too - i made my own from an old sheet i scrounged off my mum :D
  • Lillibet_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    are you planning on using cloth nappies for the baby? plus i can recommend cloth breastpads too - i made my own from an old sheet i scrounged off my mum :D

Have got a selection of cloth nappies from Ebay, I am keen to use them but was a bit flustered by the range & choice at first! This I will stick with plain old fashined terrys. Was planning on trying to make some breast pads out of an old towel, would this work?

Thanks for the Snazzypants link, I have ordered some sanny pads for later on.

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • swampytiggaa
    Options
    i made my breast pads out of an old flannelette sheet - cut about 5 circles then stitche them together and zigzag round the edges..... were plenty absorbant enuf for me and so much more comfy than the paper ones.

made my post birth sanny pads the same way [only a different shape lol] then wore 2 or three together if needed. I only bought 2 packs of maternity towels [and that was cos hubs refused to let me take home made ones into hospital lol] and i had lochia for about 6 weeks

cloth nappies - i tend to use terry squares with fleece liners [home made] and wraps - personally i like motherease cos they seem superior to the others but that might just be me :D

I buy my wraps new and then sell them on ebay when i have finished with them - just sold 4 mediums that i have used for over a year for £16 including postage - covered the cost of the 2 new large ones i got :D

is worth getting nappi nippa's to use with the nappies - pins will leave holes eventually.

I love my terry squares - i have used them on my 2 little ones - and a fair chunk of mine have been passed on from friends so they have been used on probably 4 children altogether :D and when i have done with them i will either pass them on or use them as floor cloths etc :D
  • Anya
    Anya Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    just wondered how many of us use re-usable sanitary protection - which has to be one of the ultimates in money saving?

personally i have been using a mooncup for about 3 years now [inbetween pregnancies lol] it cost me £17-99 but is expected to last for 10 years of wear - so less than £1-80 A YEAR on sanitary stuff......

Does look a bit scary, how easy is it to get used to?
    Accepted offer on our house - Sept 2006
    Offer accepted on house we wanted - October 2006
    Survey completed - November 2006
    Searches completed - January 2007
    Vendor pulls out January 2007 - Aaaagghhh :mad:
    Offer accepted on next house - January 2007
    Survey completed - February 2007
    Searches sent - Febraury 2007
    Exchanged and Completed March 16th 2007!
    Phew!
    Decorating started 5/4/07
    Bathroom ripped out 18/3/07!

Baby due 23/4/07!
  • swampytiggaa
    Options
    Anya wrote:
    [

Does look a bit scary, how easy is it to get used to?

is very easy to get used to - you sort of fold it into 4 and let it pop open inside :D personally i have cut the stem off totally - works for me! I don't even notice i have it in these days - and you can safely leave it in for 12 hours without risk of TSS

it comes with full instructions and offers a 3 month money back guarentee - so if you really don't get on with it you can send it back [they recycle them - not resell them lol]
  • Lillibet_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anya wrote:
    [Does look a bit scary, how easy is it to get used to?

In all honesty it takes a bit of practise & a bit of getting used to plus a tube of K-Y Jelly! I was ready to give up on mine & send it back (they used to refund if you can't get to grips with it within 3 months, don't know if they still do this?) but I contacted the company & they gave me some advice & all of a sudden it was fine. I never looked back. I would recommend using it only at home or overnight until you get used to it, at first I could only put it in laying down but now it is easy to slip in & out in any toilet cubicle. However, they aren't for the squeamish but they are an endless source of comdey for husbands/partners etc. My hubby has a whole repertoire of jokes about the moon rising in my lady garden...........!

• Anya
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds stupid but is the stem not for getting it out?
    Phew!

Baby due 23/4/07!
  • Anya
    Options
    Quite fancy giving it a try. I have had that implanon in my arm, and my flow can go on for weeks now, would save me a fortune if I've got the guts to give it a go!!!
    Phew!

Baby due 23/4/07!
  • Lillibet_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anya wrote:
    Sorry if this sounds stupid but is the stem not for getting it out?

You can use the stem to get it out but as you get used to it & your confidence improves it is easier & a lot more comfortable to pinch the very bottom of the cup. I have shotened the stem on mine but left a bit, I think for psychological reasons more than anything else as I don't pull on it anymore!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure