Nationwide (merged)

Options
hello all , this is my 1st post so hope i do ok , must say this site is BRILLIANT and i have already benefited by joining the holmes place health club via martins pruhealth loophole , anyway i am interested in reclaiming bank charges but want to know if anyone could shed some light on my problems, i recently went through a divorce and consequently got myself in around £20k of debt throught various loans,credit cards etc , this is now in hand with a fee free debt management company called PAYPLAN , i suggest anyone in desperate financial difficulties contacts them as they have brought me back from the dead , they are a charity and are financed by the financial industry opposed to a company trying to make a buck on the back of your crisis , i want to know if i would be able to get charges back for bounced direct debits,standing orders and interest charges , the banks in question were the nationwide and barclays , there were some months nationwide would charge me £250 + where i could not meet my direct debits/stdng orders , to be fair to them when i called them and questioned them etc they sometimes budged on a portion of the charges but they certainly made a small fortune on the back of my troubles. i have since closed the account but wondered what chance i would have of getting any monies back from them , any hel would be greatly appreciated . if anyone needs more info on payplan please contact me , would love to help someone else out with some free advice.

Comments

• Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi jenkers

Welcome to MSE.

You stand a very good chance of getting all your bank charges back for the last six years (even on closed accounts)

Your first move would be to send the first letter to each bank with a £10 cheque. This will ask them for your last six years bank statements/charges.

A template letter for this is on the the main article HERE
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • jenkers
    jenkers Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    just finished typing letter and copying all my statements ready to take on Nationwide , one month they charged me £600 !!!! just for returning direct debits and standing orders . would like to know if anyone has challenged either Nationwide or Barclays
  • spurious_2
    Options
    Hi. I have a Nationwide account. I had no overdraft facility but they honoured a direct debit, then charged me for it. Since then I have left the account unused but every month they send me a statement telling me they've charged me another load of money for having an unauthorised overdraft. The balance is now over £200 overdrawn, all because they decided to pay a direct debit, charge me for it, then continue to charge me because of this.

Can I claim any of that back? I know we can reclaim charges for returned s/o and d/d but what about general overdraft charges?
  • Rex_Mundi
    Options
    spurious wrote:
    Hi. I have a Nationwide account. I had no overdraft facility but they honoured a direct debit, then charged me for it. Since then I have left the account unused but every month they send me a statement telling me they've charged me another load of money for having an unauthorised overdraft. The balance is now over £200 overdrawn, all because they decided to pay a direct debit, charge me for it, then continue to charge me because of this.

Can I claim any of that back? I know we can reclaim charges for returned s/o and d/d but what about general overdraft charges?

You can claim back every charge from the bank. Plus, if the bank caused you to go overdrawn because of the charges. You can claim back any interest they charged you.
    Fish
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    spurious wrote:

If the bounced DD caused you to go overdrawn then yes you can claim the DD and OD charges for that.
    If you have all your statements and know how much your charges are you need to send them this 1st letter HERE including a spreadsheet of your charges HERE
    If you dont know what your charges are you will need to Send this request including the £10 fee to the banks registered address, using the letter HERE

Remember to change the details on the letter(s) to your own circumstances and always send by recorded delivery so you can track if they have received it!

Hope this helps
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • spurious_2
    Options
    Thanks for the help. Having phoned Nationwide, I thought others might be interested to know their registered address for personal data requests is:

Nationwide Building Society,
    Naitonwide House,
    Pipers Way
    Swindon
    SN38 1NW
  • Rex_Mundi
    Options
    I'm running four different cases for people (including one for the Nationwide). In every case, all the letters we have sent up to the court stage have been to the branch the person banks with. This works well.

If you check out THIS THREAD. The address you have been given is for the registered office of Nationwide. You only really need this address for the court papers (it's very important to issue the papers to the banks registered address).

The Data Protection Team for Nationwide are at one of their other offices. Check out the address thread (link above) for this stage.
    Fish
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    spurious wrote:
    Thanks for the help. Having phoned Nationwide, I thought others might be interested to know their registered address for personal data requests is:

Nationwide Building Society,
    Naitonwide House,
    Pipers Way
    Swindon
    SN38 1NW
    I sent all my correspondance to the Pipers Way address and the court claim.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • fudscott
    Options
    I have just got my Son £850 back from this org. They take you nearly all the way . I had to put a claim to the Northampton small claims court . N/wide sent the form saying they would fight it & then the next day paid all monies asked for + £80 costs. Do it you have nothing to lose . Banks will only find other ways of fleecing you , so get them while you can.
    They have closed the account now because I will not play to their T&C's ( a bit rich seeing has they are probably illegal ).
    GOOD LUCK!! I will check the thread and try to assist you if required.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Can I just point out to users that links to CAG will not work as you have to be a registered user there to access the forums. It is certainly worth people signing up to CAG to be able to read the wealth of information there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure