PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help - Grease on clothes

Options
Hi all, this is my first post here so I hope I'm in the right place.

I have managed to get some black marks on my new white skirt (one of those full gypsy ones) which I think are either grease or grime from my sash windows.

I have already soaked it overnight in handwash solution then put it through the washing machine as part of a white load with a capful of normal bleach. The marks are still there so I hope someone here has a better idea for how to get rid of them...

I'm going past the shops on my way home from work, so should I pick up clothes bleach, Vanish, Stain Devils or something else?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmm, you could try sitting the stain in a white vinegar/ bicarb solution.

Or Mayonaise?

Both are good at removing grease but I've never tried mayonaise on clothes.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Galtizz wrote:
    I've never tried mayonaise on clothes.

Never tried mayo, but have used butter to get a greasy stain out. It worked a treat - just rub generously into the stain. might not work now you've washed it though...............
  • daffynspacegirl
    Options
    Have a look at this site https://www.tipking.com loads of ways of sorting little mess' out. 99% by household products you'll already have in your cupboards.
    A BEE STUNG MY BOTTOM... NOW MY BOTTOMS BIG :think:
  • june2rose
    june2rose Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the marks you have mentioned are from grease/oil try using swarfega or any other similar hand cleaner. it works for the mechanics, the smell will disperse during the washing cycle. Attack any stain befor as best as you can befor you put it in the washing machine because the hot water will bake in the stubbon hard to remove stains. Apply a few drops on washing up liquid to the stain and leave it for a few minutes prior to wash as well. Hope this helps?
    hope i havn't broken any advertising rules, i'm not reping for swarfega its what i use.
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just try soaking it for longer. I soaked some white trousers with a huge grass stain on - for a week - and the stain came out:) I used a non bio detergent capsule.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    I get grease spots, tomato sauce stains etc out with neat washing up liquid, rubbed well into the stain and then wash in the normal way, you may have set the stain by washing in very hot water, but give it a try anyway. I got home made tomato sauce on a woollen jumper this week, a spot of wul and a wash in persil silk and wool removed it no probs.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • swizzlebabe
    swizzlebabe Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    My son splilt cream down his white football shirt, I washed it but it now has grease marks on it, how can I get rid?

I thought of rubing in washing up liquid and rewashing or would it make it worse?

Thanks
    JAN Grocery Challange £200
    Spent £154.88

FEB Grocery Challange £175 21-1 to 20-2
    Spent to date £49.13
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ariel bio should do it since the grease is from cream. Vanish or oxyclean may. Other than that a dry cleaning spot remover thingy should help.

Just remember to use a cool wash and do not tumble dry or you might set the stain in if it's still there.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use washing up liquid on my husbands collars and it seems to take the marks out. Just make sure that you put them in the machine and wash straight away.

I had a grey polo neck shirt that I managed to get sunflower oil on when draining tuna. Don't ask as I don't know.

Anyway I washed it dried and then put it in the tumble dryer to find the stain still there.

Gave it liberal does of washing up liquid stain came out. Shame I missed the one on the arm though :rotfl: Just need to treat it and then stick it in the machine.

Hope that helps.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Rage_in_Eden
    Rage_in_Eden Posts: 995 Forumite
    Options
    I am reliably informed by OH that putting brown paper over the stain and then ironing the paper works - bit like candle wax removal i suppose..... (shiny side to the iron he prompts..... :rolleyes: )
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure