PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Removing Chewing Gum

Options
researcher
researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 4 September 2012 at 2:23PM in Old style MoneySaving
Anyone know how to get rid of some disgusting gum - which some idiot threw in the street and I walked it into the car and it stuck to the carpet. It's now well ingrained into the pile. I've got as much off as I can, but there's still enought there to really p*** me off!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Have you put an ice pack on it? Not just the cube/ice, you need it *in* something so the water doesn't make your pile too wet. "freeze" the bits with the ice pack and then use your finger nail or the blunt edge of a knife to tease the hard parts off.

HTH
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    An American site said that if you got chewing gum stuck in your hair that you should rub in peanut butter as it softened the gum - but then you would have to clean off peanut butter:confused:
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Queenie
    Options
    elona - my bro did that (got chewy stuck in his hair) ... my mother cut it off, SEVERLY - she was very anti chewing gum LOL
    The peanut butter might leave oil/grease stains in the fibres of the carpet and, sadly, that will lure more grime/dust methinks :confused:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The alternate I saw was that if the ice cube trick didn't help get all of the gum out, to use nail polish remover and dab with clean paper towel and repeat as necessary.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Queenie
    Options
    Nice one, squeaky!

I'd be a teeny bit wary of the NPR - as a precaution, do a "patch test" first on a part of the carpet not usually seen ie: in a dark corner! Much depends on the fibres in your carpet.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep, sorry, should always do a patch test with pretty much everything you try as a cleaning agent..
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • researcher
    Options
    thanks everyone - I'm just about to try the 'freezing' - I'll post here later to let you know if it works.

If not:
    Thinking about the nail varnish remover - would the carpet still be more flamable in the case of fire or does it evaporate out?

By the way - its a black carpet!
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It evaporates out, as far as I know. If you're not convinced put a small drop on a plate or saucer next to a drop of water the same size. The remover should disappear first.

Be persistent with the ice cubes first though.
  • researcher
    Options
    No luck with the ice - the gum that's left is stuck into the carpet pile.
    I'm still a bit worried about the nail varnish remover - so any other ideas?
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not that I've seen. If ice won't shift it then you need a volatile cleaning substance. So all that's left to you is to try a branded dry cleaning agent, but even then that seems to be more to deal with any colur staining from bubble gum than the gum removal itself.

It does take time and several applications to get rid off gum that's well worked in when using ice cubes. And you really need to give the ice chance to properly freeze the gum and make it brittle.

Your best tool...? Patience. Second best...? Perseverance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport