Married Quarters (MQ) Residents

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in UK Armed Forces MoneySaving
421 replies 87.3K views
1151618202143

Replies

  • Does anyone know the rules about having a thermostat? We have central heating but no way of controlling the temperature, it's either on or off! This has caused us great problems since our son was born as his room is either freezing cold or boiling hot, neither of which are good for a baby's bedroom! Also, because we have no way of controlling the temperature our gas bill is ginormous! My mum (who lives in a council property) seems to be under the impression that by law we should have a thermostat but as I have learnt, MQS seemt o be run under a law of their own!!
  • I thought that all radiators should have their own method of adjustment?
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
  • We have just had our first gas & electricity bill :eek: since moving in. And our house is freezing.

    We also have mould growing in the bathroom, as the extractor fan only goes for 1 minute, it is on a motion sensor and it can't see you in the shower :confused: I know no action will be taken, as nothing has been done about my rusting kitchen sink, disgusting and leaking bath or rotten garden fence, because we're "due for upgrade" :mad: we were told within 6 months of moving here that we will be moving to an "upgraded" (read inhabitable, hopefully) quarter in the same area at the taxpayers expense!
  • BettiePage wrote: »
    I thought that all radiators should have their own method of adjustment?

    Our radiators don't adjust, and even when they're on they don't do a particularly good job of heating the house as they are all far too small for the rooms they are supposed to heat! Our biggest radiator is in the bathroom!!!!
  • sam010185 wrote: »
    My mum (who lives in a council property) seems to be under the impression that by law we should have a thermostat but as I have learnt, MQS seemt o be run under a law of their own!!

    Again, this requirement for controllable heating is not retrospective, so it is taken in to account on the derogation to standard and your rentable band, but not an actual requirement I'm afraid.

    I have had instances of getting new heating systems fitted whereby you calculate the btu rate required of a radiator compared to the size of a room, resulting in radiators being changed for new ones, complete with a thermostatic valve.

    ps - even on new buld, there are exceptions to some radiators being thermostatically regulated.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

    There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • We have just had our first gas & electricity bill :eek: since moving in. And our house is freezing.

    We also have mould growing in the bathroom, as the extractor fan only goes for 1 minute, it is on a motion sensor and it can't see you in the shower :confused: I know no action will be taken, as nothing has been done about my rusting kitchen sink, disgusting and leaking bath or rotten garden fence, because we're "due for upgrade" :mad: we were told within 6 months of moving here that we will be moving to an "upgraded" (read inhabitable, hopefully) quarter in the same area at the taxpayers expense!

    Some bathrooms are on a humidi-stat (which is what I think yours needs to be),rather than on a motion detector. I would complain that it is not working when the shower is on and mention a humidistat when they visit.

    I know it is no comfort but you point out that you are putting up with obsolete and poor items (the sink), but you will be moving at the taxpayer's expense.... wouldnt it be more of a waste to fit new items then derelict the house?
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

    There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • kitchpoo wrote: »
    Some bathrooms are on a humidi-stat (which is what I think yours needs to be),rather than on a motion detector. I would complain that it is not working when the shower is on and mention a humidistat when they visit.
    But they won't do any alterations at the moment as we are "due to move to an upgraded house in the next 6-18 months".

    kitchpoo wrote: »
    I know it is no comfort but you point out that you are putting up with obsolete and poor items (the sink), but you will be moving at the taxpayer's expense.... wouldnt it be more of a waste to fit new items then derelict the house?

    Yes we will be moving into a house that has had the bathroom and kitchen done up, which rather proves that what we have at the moment is sub-standard.
  • Hi. We've been in our quarter now for 3.5yrs. Just wondering how often carpets should be replaced. My clever dh dropped the iron a few wks ago and burned a hole in our lounge carpet. Is it worth seeing whether or not it's due to be replaced? Is that quite unlikely? What is your advice? Thanks in advance.
  • I would fone MHS helpline and get it logged asap. Usually the inspector that comes to look should have been told when they are due for an upgrade.

    We've managed to collar a carpet fitter in the area before now to repair a hole.
  • JammyK wrote: »
    Hi. We've been in our quarter now for 3.5yrs. Just wondering how often carpets should be replaced. My clever dh dropped the iron a few wks ago and burned a hole in our lounge carpet. Is it worth seeing whether or not it's due to be replaced? Is that quite unlikely? What is your advice? Thanks in advance.

    Carpet replacements and timescales are maintained by the Housing Office, you will need to contact the HIC on this one.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

    There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Reclaim payday loans

Get £100s or £1,000s back for being mis-sold

MSE Guides

25% off Dyson eBay outlet

Selected items, via code

MSE Deals