MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Do you ask for new shoes?

Options

Comments

• AngryTank
    AngryTank Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I think if the host asked everyone to remove their shoes as they enter the party they have to take responsibility for any losses. If they cannot locate the missing property within a week then it's time to pay for replacements. Lets face the truth, you have lost a valuble item and you wouldn't have lost them if the host didn't ask you to remove them.

I would ask for the money or replacements.
  • Sheepster
    Sheepster Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can't believe anyone would walk into a friend's house with their shoes on - those people who do must be of the "older generation". Everyone I know would take them off as a matter of course, and not be dirty scratters treading dog muck and all sorts into someone's house.

As for spending that much on some shoes - must have more money than sense.
  • Surveystar
    Options
    Nicki24 wrote: »
    Teaclipper, thats all very nice but who wants to wear a pair of slippers that have been worn previously by other guests? I certainly wouldnt.

I do however agree that everyone has the right to request that people dont wear shoes in their house......its your house, your rules at the end of the day but.......I think guests should be pre-warned so they atleast have the choice of bringing your own alternative footwear and can also dress accordingly, there is nothing worse than turning up in a little black dress only to discover you have to wear pre-worn slippers or walk around with bare feet all night.

Surely it doesn't matter if the shoes are £10 a pair or £200, the least the host can do is taxi fare or lift home. It's one thing to walk home without a coat, another without shoes! I would definitely expect the host to phone around and offer adequate compensation. A host who has a party and asks you to take your shoes off (poor ettiquette) surely has house contents insurance.
  • bja_2
    bja_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    One of two choices for me, politely say sorry but no, that would probably be a totally unexpected response and hopefully they would be to embarrassed to ask again or alternatively just say, sorry darling but no thanks, I am off to have fun elsewhere. What sort of nation have we become if we are to be dictated to as to what footwear you can wear when invited out?wink.gif
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi folks... just to say pls dont get too hung up on the £150 - the MMD price was done so it would be a 'non-trivial' amount if it was a pair of £5 shoes for some (not all) it becomes not worth the fuss (either on the hosts side or shoe losers)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Melly31
    Melly31 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    You are responsible for looking after your own property.

As a host I would be mortified if someone had their shoes stolen but I wouldn't replace them ,I am not running a business (or a cloakroom).

Your wouldn't leave your wallet/purse or phone ect unattended because you would regard it as valuable ,it's up to you if you choose to leave an expensive pair of shoes un-supervised.

If it were my shoes I would feel it was my fault for not keeping them safe,but would feel differently if I had to take them off, outside the setting of a private home ,then I would expect them to be claimed on insurance.

How can you compare your wallet/purse to this scenario? Did you have a choice? They're hardly gonna ask everyone to leave these items by door are they (if they did & items went missing then hello.....it was the host) which in fairness; it prob was!!!
  • galaxylisa
    Options
    Yes I would, while the shoes were at her house they were her responsability, if she had said that you would have to take your shoes off before that date then I would have worn different shoes.
  • Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Hi folks... just to say pls dont get too hung up on the £150 - the MMD price was done so it would be a 'non-trivial' amount if it was a pair of £5 shoes for some (not all) it becomes not worth the fuss (either on the hosts side or shoe losers)

I'm amazed at how many people are hung up on the price of the shoes!

Apart from the point you make above Martin, £150 is not a lot to spend on a pair of (designer) shoes. How many people here have a leather jacket, designer or otherwise? How about posh jeans or shirt? Gore-tex waterproof anyone? Now don't get me started on the price of spectacles! All these items can easily cost over £100, yet to spend the same on simple shoes? Why not?

The shoes I am in at the moment cost app £120. I've had them 8 years and they are as good as the day I bought them. Try saying that about a pair that cost £20 from the market. A work colleague only buys such shoes, but has to replace them every year. Where's the sense in that?

As far as 'having the money to buy everyone slippers' - I have a friend that bought 20 pairs of 'house slippers' for guests to use and they cost less than a tenner. :rolleyes:

Now to answer the original question - it would all depend on my relationship with the host. If it was a close friend then I wouldn't want to ruin our relationship for ever pursuing a claim on my shoes. If it wasn't, then I would.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    It's all about risk taking. I wouldn't have asked for new shoes because I wouldn't have left them unattended, I would have asked for a carrier bag and retained the shoes with me.
  • trejoy
    trejoy Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Too right I would expect my shoes replaced. The hostess told me to take them off, so she is then liable to keep them safe for me. She should offer ot pay, I shouldn`t have to ask, guess I wouldn`t be invited again!:T:rotfl::T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure