PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• johnnyshuttle
    johnnyshuttle Posts: 180 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2010 at 9:01AM
    Options
    Hi, silly question perhaps, but could someone tell me how to do poached eggs in a halogen oven please?
    I've done eggs with great success using the JML non stick tray that's designed for this oven, cost around a tenner.

Had my Halogen 6 months now, best thing in the house, especially for rattling up a full English breakfast...
    pf_H1508.jpg
    The Best Currant Cutter known To Man!!
  • hellsbells45
    Options
    My oven went about 4 yrs ago and as I couldn't afford to replace it I bought a JML HO for £50. It is used almost daily, does absolutely perfect roasts (very moist) Have done at least 3 xmas dinners in it. Haven't baked in it other than flapjacks - they come out perfectly crunchy tops and fudge like base, they take about 12 mins. Have also recently been given a combi microwave, also excellent. So between them my cooking is par excellance. The oven is now used to store baking trays.

Nearly forgot. Pizzas. Put on wire rack so that the bottom of the pizza is also exposed, follow cooking instructions, but do keep an eye on it as it tends to cook quicker than stated (usely 10 mins quicker from frozen)

Hope this helps, Ifmine goes I will certainly be replacing it, its probably due to go soon given the lenght of time i've had it, £50 pounds well spent.
    The problem with common sense is its not very common:rotfl:
    How do you climb Mount Everest? One step at a time
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Must say, i'm very pleased to have discovered this thread as my dear mum is buying me a halogen oven from Ideal World, for Christmas. Not sure if she will let me use it before Christmas or not but this thread will no doubt prove very useful to me at some point. I was so impressed with mum's halogen, i'm really looking forward to using it.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • parsonswife8
    Options
    Alright, I will come clean. I bought one of these before last Christmas and I'm SCARED OF IT.:o:o

I have the cook book and some other extras and have not used it once. It sits in the kitchen looking like a small flying saucer that randomly landed and decided to stay.:eek::eek:

I have to try but I keep on putting it off.:(

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • katholicos
    Options
    Alright, I will come clean. I bought one of these before last Christmas and I'm SCARED OF IT.:o:o

I have the cook book and some other extras and have not used it once. It sits in the kitchen looking like a small flying saucer that randomly landed and decided to stay.:eek::eek:

I have to try but I keep on putting it off.:(

I feel the same way but about the brand new pressure canner i paid for and also paid a significant sum for it to be imported from the U.S. :eek:

Halogen ovens are a breeze. I've used my mum's to cook when i am over there. Reduced electric bills, quicker cooking times, ease of use etc. Love it!

• ~~Diane~~
    Options
    I bought one 3 weeks before christmas last year, My cooker broke down and I couldn't afford to get it fixed ( only 2 1/2 yearas old and was told it'd be cheaper buying a new one rather than repair) anyway, I cooked a Christmas dinner in mine and have used it every day since. It's been a god send. The only thing I don't think cooks well is pizza, just doesn't taste the same to me.
    2011 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £250 ~ saved £743.32
    2012 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £250 ~ saved £435.75
    2013 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £300 ~ saved £521
    2014 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £400 ~ saved
  • johnnyshuttle
    Options
    ~~Diane~~ wrote: »
    I bought one 3 weeks before christmas last year, My cooker broke down and I couldn't afford to get it fixed ( only 2 1/2 yearas old and was told it'd be cheaper buying a new one rather than repair) anyway, I cooked a Christmas dinner in mine and have used it every day since. It's been a god send. The only thing I don't think cooks well is pizza, just doesn't taste the same to me.
    I found a way of cooking pizza...........
    Cook a 9" pizza as normal, remove the pizza and put some tin foil or grease proof paper over the topping, spin the pizza over and cook the base for 5 - 10 mins to make it crispy, spin it back over for a short while on the topping again.
    Works great for me...:j
    The Best Currant Cutter known To Man!!
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    What a brilliant idea for the pizza. I've packed my son back off to uni with my HO as I think it will be really useful for all of them in his flat, so I'll pass the tip on to him.

Then go and buy another one for me ........
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • katholicos
    Options
    Mum txt me this monring to let me know my early Christmas prezzie had arrived, a new halogen oven. Went over to collect it this afternoon and cooked my late lunch/early evening meal in it - fish and chips. It cooked beautifully in next to no time at all. I'm so impressed. Shall definately try bread in it or cakes and biscuits next.

• jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    katholicos, if you think that's good just wait till you roast a chicken in it, it's absolutely amazing, really moist and full of flavour.

You'll be hooked in no time!
    Oh dear, here we go again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family