PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi December :)

This thread - table top - halogen ovens should offer plenty of insight for you . I'll merge this later once you get more responses,

Good luck, report back!
    Zip :D
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Halo2010
    Halo2010 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 12 July 2010 at 3:50PM
    Options
    I've got a website for halogen oven owners, and there's loads of tips and recipes on there for all makes of halogen ovens.

It's a community site really, where people can share tips and give advice, or ask for help.

If you put halogenovenhelp in google you'll get the link, I can't post it cos I'm not allowed to post links as a new member. :(

If you put in halogen oven help it should give you the link as thats the name of my community

Barnetbear, you ask why more manufacturers aren't making halogen ovens, well there are about 10 to 15 manufacturers make them now, how many more do you want? And some of those are very well known manufacturers
  • whistler-alison
    Options
    OK - I am debating buying either the Rosemary Shrager model which is on sale in Robert Dyas for £39.99 or getting the Ideal World one which is on easy pay for £65 incl postage. I am attracted by the Ideal World one because it has a hinged lid. Does anyone think this would be a real advantage? Or is this really not worth £25 more. The Shrager one apparantly comes with a lid stand according to the reviews of the Robert Dyas web site but people seemed to have difficulty using it. The Ideal World one also seems to have quite a few accessories. I'm not sure if the Shrager one does - I'll have to go and have a look in the shop.

Also, do people find that their electricity costs have gone down after buying one of these cookers? My cooker is all electric and there is only two of us so I think we are just throwning money away cooking two jackets potatoes in it.

I'll be grateful for any advice anyone can offer. Thanks
  • LoveLifeAgain
    Options
    I have had the Ideal World one for some months now and having the hinged lid is perfect and could never imagine having the other type. I have saved money and also saved cleaning out the oven :rotfl:I do everything in it that I did in the oven and have just taken out some great bread pudding. I did need to go to Wilkinsons and get a couple of nice glass containers, but my tin ones work fine too if they fit. It really is a matter of trying things out. My roast potatoes I put in a bowl in the microwave for 5 mins, then put a bit of oil and salt in, shake them up and put in the halogen along with the meat half way through cooking and they taste out of this world. Very much trial and error, but I am going to get another for back-up just in case :) If you do not like it you can send it back to IW after a month
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety". - Benjamin Franklin
  • whistler-alison
    Options
    Thanks - I'm very tempted!
  • Paula202
    Paula202 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, I don't know if this will help you decide or not but I had the Ideal World oven and it was great, the hinged lid is brilliant plus the trays you get are really handy. The best bit though is after 18 months my oven's bulb went and when I contacted Ideal World to see if a replacement bulb was available they arranged for the oven to be collected and I got a full refund :j.

When I was looking around for my new oven I decided to try the Prolectrix one simply because it was £25 cheaper than the IW. The separate lid is a bit more cumbersome but not too much of a hassle. I only have this one a couple of weeks so I have no regrets... yet :)
  • whistler-alison
    Options
    Hi - thanks for the advice. I have ordered the Ideal World one. I had a look at The Shrager one and I was actually surprised how big and heavy the lid was and how this might be awkward if it was red hot. It also didn't come with any accessories besides the racks and some tongs and I just know that curiousity would overcome me and I would start ordering stuff off ebay so I might just as well pay for it from a reputable company. And it is good to know that customer services are helpful with Ideal World (thanks Paula) if it goes wrong as it seems these appliances often do.
  • demented_2
    Options
    Hi. A friend of mine has just bought a Halogen cooker, she would like to know if any of you guys have any good recipes she could use. She has registered here on MSE, but not sure how to post yet, bless her. So if anyone can give her any tips,recipes or any advice with her Halogen cooker it would be appreciated. Thanks. OOOh or if anyone has encountered any problems with their cooker that would be great to know as well. Thanks again.
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi demented,

These threads should help your friend:

Table-top halogen ovens

halogen oven recipe help, whats in yours?

I'll add your thread to the first link later to keep the advice together.

Pink
  • bravobeastie
    Options
    Hi, silly question perhaps, but could someone tell me how to do poached eggs in a halogen oven please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure