Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our renewal quote from the Zurich is £302.70. Thought I would have a go at trying to reduce this and so far have had a quote from John Lewis for £613.07 and LV which was over £1,000 (it would not quote online so rang them!)

LV said it might just be our postal code but didn`t know why it was so high.

I am really shocked, wondering if anyone might know what could make the premiums be so high (we had a small claim in 2013 for storm damage). thanks
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    katies_mum wrote: »
    ......wondering if anyone might know what could make the premiums be so high (we had a small claim in 2013 for storm damage). thanks

There's your answer.

You have a little claim free period (so little or zero no claims discount)

In future try not to make any "small claims" - they result in higher premiums just like massive claims!
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for replying. But am at a loss as to how a small claim can result in a premium being over £700 more! its so scary.

Have just got a quote from Direct Line for £273 but even though they do lots of TV advsertising etc not sure what they are like to deal with.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    katies_mum wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. But am at a loss as to how a small claim can result in a premium being over £700 more! its so scary.
    It may not just be that. It could be a change in flood risk and John Lewis and LV are both quite picky.

Some of the flood information available to insurance companies has been updated fairly recently, but different companies use different datasets.
  • dobbadobbs
    Options
    Hi

Due to for renewal shortly.

Does anyone have any experience of the following:

Dialdirect
    Budget Insurance
    Post Office Money
    Kwik Fit
    Hastings Direct
    AA
    Aim
    Fresh

Many thanks in advance
  • johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2015 at 9:25PM
    Options
    m_trigue wrote: »
    The Policy Expert free kindle / amazon £80 voucher scheme is a complete rip off!

Through the link provided my policy came up to £342 yet via moneysupermarket and other comparison sites it comes up £100+ cheaper!

I called policy expert and I'm quoted £218 with the same exact details. I said will I still get the freebie? They said with the freebie your policy will be £342 but we can discount it to £280 for you.

I said that's MADNESS! So essentially I'm PAYING you for a freebie? In fact paying you more than the freebie is worth? MADNESS!!!

Long story short, I didn't go for the freebie in the end and my policy on the third recalculation (I was on the phone for almost an hour) came down to £204.06 - a £137.94 saving!

Moral of the story - don't be lured by freebies and end up paying for a free ride!

Haha! Just found this out myself..using ALL the comparison they were coming in just above my current insurer Direct Line and they even included legal which Direct Line didn't.

So i thought let's hit the MSE link and see if price holds up and guess what.....it went through the roof to the extent it more or less canclelled the voucher value out.

Think main reason is links through comparison sites show free accidental, legal etc but these are all chargeable through MSE. Anyway, staying put as my insurance is relatively low.

Pity really as i thought i'd won a watch!!

ps-seems we're not the only ones either.....would imagine the only business they get off that link is from people that just go through it and take it for the voucher without using comparison sites. Actually puts Policy Expert in a bad light light imho.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Got a Halifax current account, £125 cashback, took out Home and Contents insurance with them , will get £50 cashback and 10% off.
    So Building and Contents insurance this year is £69 and if you count the current account benefits final figure is MINUS £116.
  • hannahp
    hannahp Posts: 930 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Clicked on the MSE :) link below for Morethan insurance on the 15th of Sept & bought the policy but how long to wait for the vouchers ?
    - £40 House of Fraser voucher with contents-ONLY policy via this MoreThan* link. Ends Wed 16 Sep
    :happylove Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. :happylove
  • MSE_Tony
    MSE_Tony Posts: 100 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi hannhp,

As long as the policy remains in force, the e-voucher will be emailed to you 90 days after your policy start date.

In the event that you don't receive your voucher 90 days after your policy start date, please email insurancehelp@moneysavingexpert.com and include your policy number and start date. We will then pass this onto the provider to ensure you get a quick response.

Hope this feedback helps.

Thanks

MSE Tony
  • hannahp
    hannahp Posts: 930 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you :D so much, I couldn't remember the T&Cs & thought I was going mad not finding the answer :o
    MSE_Tony wrote: »
    Hi hannhp,

As long as the policy remains in force, the e-voucher will be emailed to you 90 days after your policy start date.

In the event that you don't receive your voucher 90 days after your policy start date, please email insurancehelp@moneysavingexpert.com and include your policy number and start date. We will then pass this onto the provider to ensure you get a quick response.

Hope this feedback helps.

Thanks

MSE Tony
    :happylove Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. :happylove
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback