PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is a fantastic challnege and good luck to everyone. Earlier this week I found Gingham Ribbon's menu plans but have lost them again - can anyone post a link or tell me where to find them?

thanks

I hope this is what you were after! and this and this ! HTH!;)
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Sosh

Are you planning on growing the carrots in the ground or a tub? If you have room for 1 , tubs are brilliant for carrots as they aren't growing in stoney compacted earth..when the carrot hits a stone it will fork..giving you odd shaped carrots -not that they don't still taste good...also if you do them in a deep enough tub..there is less chance of the dreaded carrot fly getting them as they can only fly 12-15" high ..so can't get at them ....a collapsible crate lined with thick cardboard is a cheap way to do it and you can bring the card up high enough to stop the carrot fly ..heck i should get out more... im turning into my mum :rotfl:
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    Madmalteaser: I shop for whoopsies in Mr T between 7.15pm and 8pm Mon to Fri, about 2.30 pm on a Sunday but it does vary.
    HTH
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Sosh

Are you planning on growing the carrots in the ground or a tub? If you have room for 1 , tubs are brilliant for carrots as they aren't growing in stoney compacted earth..when the carrot hits a stone it will fork..giving you odd shaped carrots -not that they don't still taste good...also if you do them in a deep enough tub..there is less chance of the dreaded carrot fly getting them as they can only fly 12-15" high ..so can't get at them ....a collapsible crate lined with thick cardboard is a cheap way to do it and you can bring the card up high enough to stop the carrot fly ..heck i should get out more... im turning into my mum :rotfl:

Could you get me a link to a pick of a crate you would use? are they the ones you can put childens toys in/bits and bobs i think they sell them in argos, do they have little gaps in them? Would i plant them outside or in? If i did it in a big tub would it be in one i got from Morrisons (the black ones , think you get 6 for 99p?) ANYONE?
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

Not sure how well they show up in this pic but if you click on the pic it will get bigger

pat1wb7.th.jpg
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • SAV3R
    SAV3R Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    How Many Posts?... and we're not even in June yet. Lol

I seem to be a bit late joining in this month, please count me in again at £400 Mrs M. I will try harder!

Already done a lge shop at Asda, counting it in June, that is when it will be eaten afterall. We don't go Asda very often so stocked up on a few favourites etc, tend to stick to Mr M due to rising fuel costs.
  • Lucifa73
    Lucifa73 Posts: 7,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Phew!!! Managed to catch up on the whole thread. I've been an MSE forum lurker until about a couple of weeks ago when I finally started posting and started a diary to help me keep on track.

I've gleaned a couple of fab looking recipes from this thread and have subscribed to the recipe thread to get more.

Its just me and Hubbles, no kids and no pets, and we're spending up to £300 :eek: a month (including toiletries and cleaning products), which having seen what other people manage to feed 4 or more on I know is horrendous.

I'd like to be included with a budget of £200. This is from 1 June to 20 June only as we're going to my parents' in Cornwall for our summer hols and they never ler us pay for anything. If we weren't going on holiday I would probably have said £250.

Will update signature and keep you posted on progress.
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £400/£2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Bit late for me, but I need to record the inevitable spends....yesterday's newspapers ended up as £15-74 in MrT & £1-89 in MrS, then today was £7-73 in Wilkos; £1-37 in a scoopie-weigh & another paper @ 40p:o

In my defence, I've got:-
    a new dustpan of industrial strength & size:p
    set of ice lolly moulds
    9-pk of Wilko quilted loo roll for £2-99 & Bounty kitchen roll for a squid:j
    brush each for the pets bowls
    microfibre cloths
    12 AA batteries [reputable brand;) ]
    & several frozen kebabs on a 5-4-£4, for whatever offspring are home on Sunday, cuz I'm out & it's about the limit of their cooking ability:mad:

Today's Express made for interesting reading too, particularly about the fuel prices.... has anyone signed up to their campaign to lobby the government on i?
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Lula-Hula
    Lula-Hula Posts: 7,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mrs. M - thanks for that pic & tip for carrots, our allotment ones always go weird shapes so will now try out the crates - brilliant :)

Lula
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    My first spend of June is £24.44, just on a few basics and washing powder.

Martin the nice guy in the bakery at Asda gave me a nice chunk of yeast so I can bake bread for the next month with no problems:j

I now have 6 canisters of cravendale in the freezer and probably enough food in the freezer for a couple of weeks!!!

Why is it when you do the GC you tend to end the month with more than you started with????:rotfl: :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure