PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    nsd again:eek: no money again:D
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for your answers to my questions might use a teaspoon of semalina as thats what that link said also as well as essence.
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • Anitaj73
    Anitaj73 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    Hi again all.....not been on for a couple of days although i have been keeping up with the posts ;)
    Thurs the weather was so nice i hit the shops for some retail therapy mainly clothes which is a different budget and only spent 3.37 on GC budget soda crystals, shampoo & a drink for DD as i forgot her bottle :rolleyes:
    Friday was supposed to be a NSD but i was sooooo tired yesterday as DD still doesn't sleep through the night and my 3 DS are special needs so by the end of the week i get tired i treat myself to chicken fried rice, bottle of londis coke (just as nice as proper coke and its 89p and on BOGOF at the mo) a bag of maltesers and a packet of crisps to nibble on whilst watching Big Brother last night :D so spent 5.64.....will update sig in a mo
    Haven't done any baking for a couple of days but my DS2 is begging me for more shortread but think i will try the hob nobs as still not got round to it yet :rolleyes:

NSD for me today for deffinate.....i only need milk but have tokens for that :D

Have a good day everybody and yet more newbies :j Welcome to you all......this month is my first challenge too and already i have changed quite a few habits :T

Anita xx
    May GC £350/ spent so far

family life = 2 adults DS x3 & DD1 + dog :)
  • Pip-squeak_3
    Options
    Hi All
    Well my first week of spending came to £30.23. Have to take care for the next three weeks to hit the £100 target but did stock up on milk, eggs, rice - it was still only 45p kilo in Asda on Thursday, and corn meal. Bought 2 packs of 240 typhoo tea bags for £4 in Asda and shared with my mum. Way below my 1p a bag target!
    Allotment is starting to produce asparagus, broad beans, chard and mange tout so that cuts down the fresh food bill a bit. Also find we adapt what we eat to what we have got so no peppers from the shops this week. Also going to water down the whole milk for the first time. DH knows about it as he is as keen to save as I am.
    happy saving:rotfl:
    Challenge 2 adults food and household.
    2009 £1214.37
    Target for 2010 £1250
  • curly_cabbage
    Options
    Hi all
    Well what a treat i'm the only one at home DS1 is at Biggin Hill with Air Cadets, DS2 & DH are in London at the Flug Tag in hyde Park. I've done the washing just need to clean the loo & bathroom and chuck the hoover around and that's it till this evening when they all come home tired and grumpy.

Nsd yesterday but, not too sure about today if everybodies really late may get a take away.

Have a good day everybody.

CC
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    crockpot wrote: »
    I started buying uht milk so I would not have to pop tp shop for milk and spend £20!

49p in Morrisons and netto but only 44p a box at lidl, not sure at others, this is cheapest skimmed.

But when I was little and shops closed at 5pm on a sat and stayed closed til mon am, my mum always used to have 5 pints in the cupboard, do they still sellit?

I know some people water fresh milk down.

Where is cheapest place for milk in any form?

Might be ceaper to get a cow or goat?
    At present Morrisons have it on offer at 2 bottles of 4 pints for £1.98 or 2 bottles of 6pints for £2.98. Dried milk does work out a bit cheaper but isnt as nice. However its always in my cupboard. I buy tesco dried milk. Ive still seen 5pints but its not as nice as tesco or marvel.
    Longlife I use for yoghurt making and for when I run out. Its lovely in custard too. The offers vary so much so its hard to say where to buy it-you need to check the websites of the major stores for the latst prices.

Overnight Ive cooked a sausage casserole and put in a couple of homedried chillies-whew-very nice! Will add some dumplings later as they are just so yummy!
    Trifle in the fridge just have to do the custard. Won't be topping it with cream-it will be 2 packs of instant custard today.
    Been watering down the milk-DH agrees that buying SS milk is a bit of a ripoff as the "best bit" has been taken out and used to make other products which we are paying for all over again. Hoping not to spend anything today today as I dont think I need anything.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    jackk wrote: »
    I used almond essence in the sponge mixture last time i made one, still tasted almondy :D .

x

ps can somebody please post the yogurt cake recipe, i have whoopsied yogurt that needs using.

Hope this is the one you wanted:
    Choc yoghurt cake

The recipe reads:

5 fluid ounces vegetable oil
    5 fluid ounces natural yoghurt
    4 level tablespoons golden syrup
    6 oz caster sugar
    3 eggs
    8 oz self-raising flour
    3 rounded tablespoons cocoa (edit: probably a bit better with 4!)
    ½ level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    ½ level teaspoon salt
    6 sugar cubes, to decorate

1. Prepare a cool oven (325°F, 160°C, gas mark 3). Grease a round 8" cake tin. Line base and side with greaseproof paper; grease paper.

2. Place oil, yoghurt, syrup, caster sugar and eggs in a bowl; beat with a wooden spoon until well mixed. Sift flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt into bowl; mix well.

3. Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake in centre of oven for 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes. Test with the fingers. If cooked, cake should spring back and have begun to shrink from the side of the tin.

4. Leave cake to cool in tin, then turn out and remove paper. Crush sugar cubes with a rolling pin and sprinkle sugar over cake.

To store: wrap in foil; keep 2 to 3 days for full flavour, then up to 1 week in a tin.

Microwave instructions:
    Brush a deep 8" straight-sided casserole (about 4 pint capacity) with oil. Line base with greaseproof paper; grease paper. Cooking time: about 9 minutes on high.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • tq16
    tq16 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    mumzyof2 wrote: »
    Ruthibe Thankyou for your post regarding the bedwetting im just suppose i will see how he gets on. He use to be dry around a year ago but then soemthing happened in my life and he started again :( which makes me feel a bit guilty when i think about it, as it HAS affected him. Its also 7 years old untill they do something about it here also.

Well Good Morning ladies and gents,
    Should be a GC NSD today im sure i said that yesterday lol
    Make shortbread yesterday got 15 small shortbread out of it. so going to make some hobnobs tonight.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Mumzy

Don't blame yourself and try not to worry too much, although it seems difficult, and nappy costs are not cheap. Myself and sisters were not dry at night until about the age of 8!!!-very deep sleepers. :-)
    (Family of 5: 2 adults & 3 children aged 7yrs, 4yrs, and 18months)
  • Tesco-shopper
    Options
    mumzyof2 wrote: »
    I am back and i have found the bakewell tart recipe but it says i need ground aldmonds, but i dont have any and dont want to buy any either as i want a NSD tomorrow and don't have much money to buy them with anyways, so was wondering if i could use something else instead of aldmonds or just miss the aldmonds out?

I have made it frequently without ground almonds. Just use a basic fairy cake recipe for the sponge part ie 4 oz butter, 4 oz sugar, 2 eggs and 4 oz SR flour (or whatever quantity you need). Obviously you don't get the almond flavour, but it still tastes good. I don't find that it affects the texture very much. Hope that helps!
  • Tesco-shopper
    Options
    Been watering down the milk-DH agrees that buying SS milk is a bit of a ripoff as the "best bit" has been taken out and used to make other products which we are paying for all over again.

I agree with you here, not that I actually water down the milk. But it struck me at work, watching people put skimmed milk in their tea, that they seem to put twice as much in it as they would if they used full fat milk, which seemed to me rather to defeat the object! So it MUST be cheaper to buy full fat milk and use less of it than to buy semi skimmed or skimmed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure