PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• cookinmummy
    cookinmummy Posts: 4,245 Forumite
    tq16 wrote: »
    I have stopped buying shop bread after finding a fantastic receipe, that involves no kneading, so easy dd1 can even help with it. So far made loaf everyday (we eat alot of bread) worked out costs approx 20p a loaf depending on how cheap you can get flour etc. And my dd1 even eats the crusts-it must be a miracle :-)
    Makes a 1lb loaf
    225g plain flour
    225g wholemeal strong flour
    1tsp baking powder
    1tsp cream of tartar
    1tbsp golden syrup
    1/4 pint milk
    2/4 pint boiling water
    (receipe says also 1tsp of salt and 1tsp of vinegar but I don't use and seems to make no difference?)

1. mix dry ingredients-make well in centre
    2. pour milk into jug and add kettle boiling water, add golden syrup
    3. pour liquid into dry ingredients and mix with metal spoon
    4. pour mix into 1lb loaf tin
    5. put in oven 190 for 30mins

yummy :0)

Mi

Gosh tq16 golden syrup?!

Well that's it then - I have no choice but to make this now! :D

Got a weeks shop at MrT - £56.48 - so updated the signature. Hope everyone is enjoying this sunny day!:j
  • cookinmummy
    cookinmummy Posts: 4,245 Forumite
    Apologies over the size of the text - must be the heat or the golden syrup!:o
  • dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Hi GUys,

WOW! you wouldn't believe it, I have baked.... hob nobs, apple and cinnamon muffins, choc chip muffins, chocolate cake, nut brownies, tea cakes, belgian buns, bounty bites and banana flapjack. They are all cooling on the table... am feeling mighty proud and they taste delish!

Sent DH out for the potatoes and some satsumas and he came back with some juice too (how dare he! lol) so that was another £4 to my total but seem to be managing the budget just! Its raining outside so can't do much out there, my rocket is ready to pick along with my chives just need my lettuce to come on.

Orchid96 - welcome back.
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • newmoneysaver_2
    newmoneysaver_2 Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow dink! Thats loads!

I spent £34.18 in Mr M yesterday, but I had my £5 voucher and I got paintbrushes £1.99 and t-cut £3.54 which isn't counted in grocery budget so £23.65 to add to sig. I stocked up on beans - 2x 4pck for £3 so I got 4 packs - 16 tins, and spaghetti @ 40p per pack (500g) - 4 packs, I also got soda crystals to try.

Hubby started tiling the kitchen last night so I couldn't get in. At 8pm I gave up and went for fish & chips so another £4.70 to add to sig.
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone just popped in to update sig.
    Was planning on NSD but then noticed ran out of eggs my DD(2) had 2 scrambled every morning also needed some yoghurts ended up spending £6.25:eek: I did get some reduced grapes and a few other bits but I also ended up buying 3 bars sorry 4 of chocolate 3 for cooking Smart price and one for eating. When I was pregnant last time all I wanted was toast this one it's chocolate this is my first bar this week I have been good.

I did bake some rolls and bread today.
    Have a good weekend end
    GC July £250/
  • Sunny_Donny
    Sunny_Donny Posts: 300 Forumite
    Hi updated total below - visited Mr A this afternoon and spent £48.23, but this did include washing powder and long life milk - OH hates it, but I like it.
    Done menu planning for week -
    Sat - Tacos
    Sun Large toad in the hole with lots of veg

Off to do some baking and cooking now -
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13 :j
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
  • lilmisskitkat
    lilmisskitkat Posts: 919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello all, long time no see! :)

Hope everyone is ok, will try and catch up but it seems impossible as i've missed loads lol.

No grocery challenge for me this month (or even a total for last month :o ), i've been batch cooking loads of stuff for when jellybean arrives so that has taken me hugely over budget for the past few weeks but it should even itself out when i only have to buy milk, bread, fruit and veg for a good few weeks.

Basically i have no idea whether i'm coming or going lol :rolleyes: Jellybean could be here in as little as 12 days :eek: :eek: :eek: depending on how my hospital appointment goes next friday plus we're trying to get the new house ready and pack up this one so things are a little hectic lol

Good luck to all, i'll still be reading along even though i'm not taking part this month.

Kate xxx
  • newmoneysaver_2
    newmoneysaver_2 Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello lilmisskitkat! :hello:

I hope everything goes well. :eek: at moving so close to due date!
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    Originally Posted by tq16
    I have stopped buying shop bread after finding a fantastic receipe, that involves no kneading, so easy dd1 can even help with it. So far made loaf everyday (we eat alot of bread) worked out costs approx 20p a loaf depending on how cheap you can get flour etc. And my dd1 even eats the crusts-it must be a miracle :-)
    Makes a 1lb loaf
    225g plain flour
    225g wholemeal strong flour
    1tsp baking powder
    1tsp cream of tartar
    1tbsp golden syrup
    1/4 pint milk
    2/4 pint boiling water
    (receipe says also 1tsp of salt and 1tsp of vinegar but I don't use and seems to make no difference?)

2/4 pint boiling water? Well thats half a pint but would normally be writen as 1/2. Is that the correct amount?
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Anitaj73
    Anitaj73 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Yes Hope all goes well with the move and the new arrival lilmisskitkat :D

Anita X
    May GC £350/ spent so far

family life = 2 adults DS x3 & DD1 + dog :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure