PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Options

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We had cheese and potato pie last night - I peel and cube potatoes and simmer them for about 10 minutes, drain and tip into a large, deep pie dish. I top this with slices of onion (fried gently in a little oil first), grated cheese, a teaspoon of smoked paprika and a glug of double cream. Cover the lot with pastry (last night it was shortcrust, but puff is good too), brush with beaten egg and bake for around 20 mins.

It's really nice cold the next day as a packed lunch in a tupperware box, too.
  • C_J
    Options
    Oh, and while I'm here posting, I should tell you about the love-er-ley vegetarian scotch eggs I made last night, to have cold with a salad for supper tonight.

Hard boil and shell the eggs in the usual way, then instead of coating them in sausagemeat, I finely chopped some mushrooms in the food processor (until almost a paste, really), then mixed that with some grated carrot, seasonings and a tablespoon of natural yogurt, then added a little wholewheat flour to bind it to the right consistency. I moulded this around the hard boiled eggs, then rolled in golden breadcrumbs and deep fried them for five minutes.
  • C_J
    Options
    I'm going now :)
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This creamy pea and chive risotto from BBC Good Food website is gorgeous:j ! The cream cheese really makes it creamy and pearl barley is full of goodness. I had to cook it for about 30 mins though and added a bit more stock. I used plain cream cheese (low fat philly) and added fresh chives at the end. I don't know whether cream cheese is vegetarian though:confused: ?
  • oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    Options
    Some great recipes here, thanks all :)

Going for the Potato Pie tonight - sounds really yummy.

want2bmortgage3 - I'm giving the sausage hotpot a go either tomorrow or the next day. I have several packs of Cauldron sausies in the freezer as Tesco were selling them for a £1 a few weeks back, so I stocked up (the cumberland ones are so nice!) - really looking forward to trying some of the above recipes :)
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    thanks for those recipes boodle, will try some.

another one from the veg soc meat free made easy:

quick korma - serves 4 - 10 mins prep - 25 mins cook

you need:
    - tbsp veg oil
    - 1 onion peeled and chopped
    - 3 tbsp korma curry paste
    - 1 tin chopped tom's
    - 2 large handfuls broccoli florets
    - 1 large handful frozen long green beans
    - 1 tin chickpeas rinsed and drained
    - 1 tbsp tomato puree
    - 1/2 packet basmati rice
    - 2-4 naan bread

step one:
    heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion til soft. stir in the curry paste and cook for a further 2 mins.

step two:
    stir in the chopped tomatoes and broccoli and bring to the boil. cover the pain and turn down the heat to simmer for 20 mins, until the broccoli is cooked but not soft.

step three:
    add the green beans, chickpeas, and tomato puree, bring back to the boil and simmer for a further 5 mins. serve with basmati rice and warm naan bread cooked according to the packets instructions.

alternatives:
    - use madras or balti paste for a spicier version
    - use cauliflower instead of broccoli
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    to oldmcdonald - hope you like the hotpot recipe, i quite like it, its filling (lots of protein). as i mentioned i think you can save time cooking it, by frying the sausages with the onions. also i find the chopped tomatoes with herbs already in them work well, they seem to smell/taste better as they've had time to 'infuse' in the tin??
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    I don't think this has been posted already:

Spuds A L'Olga (my mum)

Thinly slice potatoes, onions garlic - plus any other veg you have - ie mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, leeks etc. Layer in a casserole dish with one or two sliced hard boiled eggs/ cheese etc. BUT on each layer of spuds and veg sprinkle 1-2 tbsp of flour and dot with marg/ butter. Add pepper to taste. Finish with a layer of potatoes. Pour in milk or milk/stock up to 3/4 full. Cover. Bake for 2-3 hours in a slow oven, taking the lid off for the last 30 mins. Gorgeous - but boy does it make a messy serving dish - however it's worth it.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • 10past6
    10past6 Posts: 4,962 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think this has been posted already:

Spuds A L'Olga (my mum)

Thinly slice potatoes, onions garlic - plus any other veg you have - ie mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, leeks etc. Layer in a casserole dish with one or two sliced hard boiled eggs/ cheese etc. BUT on each layer of spuds and veg sprinkle 1-2 tbsp of flour and dot with marg/ butter. Add pepper to taste. Finish with a layer of potatoes. Pour in milk or milk/stock up to 3/4 full. Cover. Bake for 2-3 hours in a slow oven, taking the lid off for the last 30 mins. Gorgeous - but boy does it make a messy serving dish - however it's worth it.
    Cheers, looks simple enough, I'll give it ago ;)
    Click here for Martins (MSE) advice on who to contact with Debt Issues - YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE A FEE PAYING DEBT MANAGEMENT COMPANY- THEY CANNOT DO ANYMORE FOR YOU THAN THOSE LISTED IN MY LINK ABOVE.

All information given by myself is offered informally and without prejudice - if in doubt seek help from a qualified and insured professional
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    I tried the 'quick korma', and end result was nothing special! Not sure I like chickpeas as the main ingredient. Another one of those recipes which seems a lot of hassle to find ingredients, makes a lot of mess preparing and cooking it, then doesnt end up all that great. I'd be interested if anyone else has tried it? its a proper one from the veggie society!!

Couple of questions relating to it, as i dont have a freezer at present, I had to use fresh green beans instead of frozen. This meant spending 1.99 on 500g of green beans! They were UK grown which I liked but why cant you buy them loose or in a smaller pack? ( i went to sainsburys). How come there are plenty of other beans like fine beans or dwarf beans from kenya??

Oh, also, during the cooking process -when it asks you to add the chopped tomatoes and broccoli then boil and simmer - well there is nowhere near enough water in the pan to be able to simmer the broccoli!! Again when you add the chickpeas it says let it simmer again, but no mention of adding any water or anything. Do they actually test the recipes??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure