PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Options

Comments

• Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Want2bmortgage3, I always slice potatoes and boil them till they are soft when I do a potato bake. I have never tried to make one by putting raw potatoes straight into the dish. I think boiling them would be quicker as they don';t take long when thinly sliced. They'd be boiling while your oven preheats. If you pop the ingrediants into a warmed dish then it would only need about 20mins.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • mhe
    mhe Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    Hi want2bmortgage3 - glad you enjoyed the potato pie - it looked great.
    I slice the pots quite thin so they dont take as long to cook and then keep stabbing it with a skewer to se if they are all cooked thru - in my oven an hour give or take is usually enough. Iv never tried par boiling them first simply beause it is the sort of dish i might make up and put in the oven with the auto timer. With the onions i cut them into circles and then seperate the layers of circles out - IYKWIM. Iv also added extra layers into it eg layer of corn cos part of a tin needed using up, some sad mushrooms found at thr bottom of the fridge - that kind of thing!
    (we arent veggie so iv sometimes added a layer of ham cubes as well. )
    My children love this with broccolli and carrots. Its cheap, tasty, warming and cooks itself when ur at work!
    "With no money you start to discover your own inner resource" GK Chesterton
    2 adults, 3 children
  • mhe
    mhe Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    another 1 we like is

TOMATO TART

buy ready made ready to roll puff pastry - i get asdas own
    roll it out and cut it into rectangles/squares - enough for each of you then lightly score another rectangle in it about 1cm away from the edge so you have a rectangle in a rectangle.

whizz up with a stick blender a big handful of basil, a clove of garlic ,ground pepper and a drop of oil - spread the resulting green gue oto the inner rectange area of your pastry. If you dont have any of this stuff in try spreading bases with mustard instead.

Slice up 1 lg tomato into circles for each person and arrange on the inner bit
    can also cut cherry toms in half and stick them on instead.

Grate, cut or chop bits of mozzerella to sprinkle on the top

Bake at 200c for 25 mins - the outer rectangle rises up and the tom bit doesnt as much.

Delicious drizzled with balsamic vineger.:p

As i said before we arent veggie (but im not fussed that much on meat) and my steak loving DH and DSs all love this .
    "With no money you start to discover your own inner resource" GK Chesterton
    2 adults, 3 children
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    this is a recipe from the veggie society, in the leaflet ' meat free made easy / cooking simple veggie meals'..

hearty sausage hotpot (serves 4-6) 5 mins prep 25 mins cook - serve with crusty bread

- 1 tbsp veg oil
    - 1 onion peeled + chopped
    - 1 tin baked beans
    - 1 tin chopped tom's
    - 3 tbsp mixed herbs
    - 1 packet veg sausages (i like the cauldron ones)

1. fry the chopped onion in oil until beginning to brown
    2. add beans, tom's and herbs. bring to boil and simmer until ready to serve.
    3. fry sausages until browned, cut into chunks then add to the beans. continue to simmer for up to 15 mins until required.

now, what i cant understand is why not just fry the onions and sausages together? also whats all the 'until required' about? this is a basic recipe and its for basic people , how do i know when its required? should the sauce thicken or something? i wish recipes would be a little more thorough at times... anyway maybe someone can try this recipe and report back, i did enjoy it when i made it. if anyone can answer my questions that would be great :D
  • mooseandhobbes
    Options
    Herby roasted Veg with bulgar wheat

Take any veg that you like, I like to use peppers (all colours), red onions, carrots and parsnips. Chop them into roughly equally-sized chucks or batons. I like the chunks pretty big. Put them in a roasting dish or oven tray and drizzle just a little bit of olive oil over. Not too much, just enough to very lightly coat the veg. Then sprinkle over plenty of dried herbs; I use herbes de Provence. Roast until done.

When the veg is more or less done, pour boiling water over the bulgar wheat and cover so that the grains cook in the water and steam.

You can serve the veg beautifully presented on a bed of bulgar, or (like me) pile a heap of both onto a plate and tuck in. :p

Leftovers will keep for at least a day in the fridge, and it's also lovely cold, so good for a lunchbox. :T This is also delicious made with sweet paprika instead of herbs.

Delicious.

Mooseandhobbes x
  • suep
    suep Posts: 782 Forumite
    Options
    Im another veggie and out of all my veggie cookbooks I use 'No meat for me please' by Jan Arkless. Im the only Veggie in my family and this book is small portions for 1 veggie in the family but obviously you can double them up or whatever. Also the book is really cheap on new and used on Amazon.
    This is one my meat eating kids love
    Mushroom risotto serves 1
    2oz raw long grain rice (white or brown)
    I small onion
    1 garlic clove
    1 stick of celery
    2-3 mushrooms
    1 tomato
    few rings red or green pepper
    1 tbsp veg oil
    1/2 veg stock cube
    1/4 pint boiling water
    1 tbs cooked peas
    1 tbs cooked/canned sweetcorn
    1 hard boiled egg
    2 tbsp pine nuts ( I dont bother with these)
    salt and pepper
    dash of soy sauce (optional)
    1 oz grated cheese
    Wash rice , chop all veg. Heat oil and fry onion, garlic and celery for 4-5 mins.add rice and fry for further 3 mins,add pepper, dissolve stock cube in water and add to pan, stir, leave to simmer with lid on for 15-25 mins until rice cooked, you might need to add a bit more liquid. Add mushrooms,tomato,peas,sweetcorn,sliced hardboiled egg,pine nuts cook for another 5 mins,season with salt and pepper and soy sauce. Serve with grated cheese on top.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    Terry Pratchett ( Hogfather)
  • Teria
    Teria Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Great to see so many veggies on here! Any other vegans??

Here's one of my favourite recipes
    Cornish Pasties
    Mix together tin mushy peas, other cooked veg, and Linda McC sausages.
    Roll out shortcrust pastry, and cut into circles of desired size (I usually make a couple of big ones for dinner, and use a mug to cut out the rest for snacks, or to have at lunchtime)
    Heap filling into middle, and fold pastry over.Cook at 200C for half an hour.

Mushroom garlic and potatoe and ratatouille are also nice fillings, but you could experiment with almost anythng :)
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The best vegetarian cookbook I have seen is "The Really Useful Vegetarian Student Cookbook" by Silvana Franco. I may come back and post some fave recipes from there a bit later if I can dig it out.

[URL="http://"][/URL]

Yep - THE single most useful cookbook I have.
  • Petlamb
    Petlamb Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mhe wrote: »
    POTATO PIE

We have this regularly in our house and its yum

Scrub a couple of potatos clean - leave skin on for extra fibre
    cut the pots into circles
    cut an onion into circles
    Now you begin layering - for 1-2 people use 1 tin of baked beans a family might need 2 tins of beans

layer of pots
    layer of onions
    layer of baked beans
    layer of pots
    layer of onions
    layer of beans
    final layer of pots
    put sclices of tomato on top of pots to stop them crisping up too much and cheese if you like

BAke 200c for around 1 hour

i'm making this this evening - tis my dindins...

it's in the oven, hope it turns out nice! :j
    On the up :D
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    vampiric, let us know how it turned out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure