PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Options
Hello :wave:

I've been lurking around the board, and have found loads of brilliant recipes, only most of them are for meat. I don't know what to substitute other than Quorn or tofu, both of which are really bland. For some reason, whenever I try to flavour them, I manage to mess it up :(

I like foods with lots of flavour, but am stuck in a rut of eating pasta with tomatoes, or vege burgers and peas.

Does anyone have any vegetarian recipes, that aren't too hard to do and won't break the bank? I have a very limited budget, and usually spend around £20-30 per month on food (there's only me to feed, and I usually only really eat one meal a day and some fruit throughout the day), though that could stretch to £50.

I've looked around online, but most of the recipes include things that I've never heard of, or would cost a fortune to buy :rolleyes:

Thanks very much :)
Everyday I am asked to be a magician, in a world where magic does not exist.

Comments

• HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    Options
    Try these threads. ;)

Gingham's Vegetarian Meal Planner

Gingham's vegetarian meal planner - SUMMER

I'm a carnivore I'm afraid but these contain some lovely recipes.
  • ElegantlyWasted
    Options
    Thanks a lot, Haribo :)

Much appreciated!
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can do you recipes for Garlic & Oil Pasta, Mushroom Curry, Pasta & Cottage Cheese Flan, Spanish Omelette, Vegetable Curry and Welsh Rarebit.

Have the one for Spanish Omelette on me ...

SPANISH OMELETTE

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS

2 eggs
    1 potato
    ½ an onion
    Ground pepper to taste
    100ml of water
    1 tablespoon of olive oil

METHOD

Break the eggs into a bowl and pick out any bits of shell. Mix up the eggs. Season with the pepper. Peel the potato and chop it into 1cm (½ inch) cubes. Peel the onion and chop it into tiny pieces.

Put the water into a saucepan on a medium heat. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling (simmering). Add the potato. Cook for about 5 minutes, checking that they do not fall apart. Drain the potato in a sieve or colander.

Put the oil in a frying pan on a moderate heat. Add the onion and potato. Fry the onion and potato, stirring to stop them sticking. When they are golden add the eggs.

Turn the heat down really low. Cover the pan. Leave it for at least 10 minutes*.

Uncover the pan. Put it under a preheated medium grill for a couple of minutes until the top is brown.

Cut into triangular pieces.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

An authentic Spanish omelette uses just onion and potato. However, omelettes are a good way of using up leftovers. Cheese, mushrooms, peas, sweet peppers and tomatoes all work well.

* The low heat stops the egg sticking and the slow cooking makes the egg fluff up.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • jessbrown100
    jessbrown100 Posts: 891 Forumite
    Options
    My favourite veggie recipe (am not veggie myself but like to have veggie days) is a vegetable crumble. Can't tell you the exact recipe cos DH made i up and does it different every time but it goes something like this: saute lots of veg in a little olive oil (especially nice with onions, peppers, mushrooms, olives, courgettes, aubergines etc) then when they are partially softened add garlic to taste then add either passata or tinned toms. Simmer gently until it's thickened to a sort of a rattatouille consistancy. Then put into a heat proof dish (pyrex or similar) and cover with a cheesy crumble mix (flour and butter in the same measures as a sweet crumble but with the sugar left out and lots of grated parmesan or other cheese added plus seasoning). Bake in a medium oven until the top is golden brown and crispy.
    Sorry about the vagueness of this idea but we just make it ad hoc with whatever veggies we've got in (plus technical 'foodie' type cooking isn't our strong point- we just add ingredients until it looks about right!) but this is a really tasty veggie dish that is nice with salad, is cheap as well if you use whatever veg and cheese you've got in.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Try these threads. ;)

Gingham's Vegetarian Meal Planner

Gingham's vegetarian meal planner - SUMMER

I'm a carnivore I'm afraid but these contain some lovely recipes.

You missed one :p

Gingham's Vegetarian Meal planner - SPRING

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    Options
    i remember one my mum used to do

make a bread mix...after proving it put 1/3 on bottom of deep dish put a load of chunky cut veg on top then cover with rest of mix...cook as normal
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Dhal curry and rice

serves:6 cost per head:27p cals per portion: 260

2 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp cumin
    225g/8oz red lentils
    1 tbsp oil
    1 sliced onion
    2 potatos, peeled & diced
    1 tsp curry powder
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    400g can of chickpeas, drained
    4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
    Optional
    crispy fried onions to garnish
    cumin seeds browned to garnish
    coriander leaves to garnish

1. bring 1 pt water to boil. Stir in ginger, cumin and lentils.Season with salt. Simmer for 20 mins or until soft.
    2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan and stirfry onion and potato for 5-10 min, or until nearly soft. Add curry powder, chickpeas, garlic and tomatoes. Cook for a further 3-4 mins before stirring in lentil mixture. Taste and season. Cook gently for 5 mins.
    Garnish with onions, curry seeds and coriander, if using.
    Serve with rice.
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ElegantlyWasted
    Options
    Thanks very much, guys :)

These are all fantastic, I'm really excited about trying them out!

Stephen - Thank you for the Spanish Omelette recipe, I'll definitely be trying that. Could you possibly link me to the Pasta & Cottage Cheese Flan please? That sounds like something I'd like :)

Jess - The vegetable crumble sounds really nice! I've written it down and will be having a go next week.

Ceridwen & Penelope - Those links are great, thank you :)

Glad - I've never tried to cook a curry before, but am going to attempt yours when I've bought some lentils and chick peas next week. Thank you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure