PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Options

Comments

• want2bmortgage3
    Options
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"The Essential Student Cookbook: 400 Foolproof Recipes to Leave Home with: 400 Budget Recipes to Leave Home with"
    Cas Clarke; Paperback; £1.15
    Usually dispatched within 1-2 working days[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"The Vegetarian Cook Book"
    Doreen Keighley; Paperback; £0.01
    Usually dispatched within 1-2 working days[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"Really Useful Vegetarian Student Cook Book (Really Useful Series)"
    Silvana Franco; Paperback; £0.01
    Usually dispatched within 1-2 working days[/SIZE][/FONT]

My bargain buys! Looking forward to them, I'll post any good recipes once i've tried them!
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Soba Noodles with spring onion, edamame beans, sweetcorn and hoisin sauce? Dofu in Schezuan Sauce? Miso soup (obviously pass on the dashi no moto)? Go to the Chinese supermarket and ask for vegetarian items ; the Mandarin is Wo chi su (I am vegetarian) - after about 2000 years of Buddhism, the chinese have created many things from wheat gluten and other products if you want alternatives.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    here we go the result...
    2ewegzk.jpg
    also left a pretty clean dish, usually when i bake anything it all dries on the dish:
    2ez7lw8.jpg

jojo do u have any recipes for the things you suggested? i'd like to try something made with seitan (if i can find that somewhere), i tried it and liked it at a friends house, but it came from italy.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Yeah, sure

1. Cook 1 bunch of Soba as per packet instructions, rinse and drizzle on a little rapeseed or sesame oil. Stir fry veggies until their colour goes luminous (I use frozen edamame and frozen sweetcorn). Add 1 tbsp hoisin sauce. Toss gently in noodles.

2. Stir fry 1 tsp grated ginger and 1 tsp grated garlic or use flavoured stir fry oil. Chuck sachet of Schezuan Sauce (very hot) in wok and carefully slice dofu into pieces, sliding them into sauce. Add chopped spring onion at end.

You could also use fried beancurd simmered for 1 min to remove excess oil and sliced into strips. Available in Chinese Supermarket in freezer section.

3. Clearspring Miso is vegan and you can add beansprouts, edamame, sweetcorn, pepper strips, shi ttake mushroom slices.

4. Get rice paper circles, briefly swish in water then wrap mixture of soaked glass noodles, grated carrot, beanshoots, sliced cucumber, a little chilli sauce. Dip in mixture of veggie fish sauce (yes, it does exist) or soy and lime/rice vinegar
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please be aware that the poster gbay is a cookie stuffer, posts have been reported.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gbay a cookiestuffer - errr.....spammer then! Was wondering - as hadnt heard that term before.....well....spam on a veggie thread....naughty!:cool:
  • maytaurus
    maytaurus Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    Options
    you might already have this ....
    the recipes from the Vegetarian Society
    http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/index.html
    for newbie veggies there's
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Easy Recipes for New Veggies
    [/FONT]
    http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/easy.html
    and
    the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Pushed for Time [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Recipe Collection
    [/FONT]http://www.vegsoc.org/news/2001/nvw/recipes/page2.html
    Vegetarian.gif
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane[FONT=&quot] —[FONT=&quot] Marcus Aurelius[/FONT][/FONT]
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    thanks jojo, by the way what is edamame ?
    ceri, the savoury recipe, seemed a lot of margerine to fry the mushrooms in.. that recipe must have a high fat content??? it tasted nice though. i used cant believe its not butter as ive had it in the fridge for ages. i'd rather use oilve oil like you said but how much do you reckon?
    maytaurus, thank you, perhaps i should use the veg soc as a starting point they do seem to have plenty of recipes! are you a member?
    while i'm at it, dried soya mince..i quite like the frozen 'realeat vegemince' which costs about £2 a bag i think. is this basically the same stuff as the dried soya mince which is with all the pulses and lentils? it doesnt look quite as appealing in a dried state but if it ends up the same, then can i save some money using that instead?
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks jojo, by the way what is edamame ?
    ceri, the savoury recipe, seemed a lot of margerine to fry the mushrooms in.. that recipe must have a high fat content??? it tasted nice though. i used cant believe its not butter as ive had it in the fridge for ages. i'd rather use oilve oil like you said but how much do you reckon?
    maytaurus, thank you, perhaps i should use the veg soc as a starting point they do seem to have plenty of recipes! are you a member?
    while i'm at it, dried soya mince..i quite like the frozen 'realeat vegemince' which costs about £2 a bag i think. is this basically the same stuff as the dried soya mince which is with all the pulses and lentils? it doesnt look quite as appealing in a dried state but if it ends up the same, then can i save some money using that instead?

It is a lot of fat that was used in that recipe - and would explain the "clean" dish syndrome. I wondered what you reckoned about the taste - as you used less cheese than the recipe I stated and no tomatoes. I would have used the amount of cheese specified and the tomatoes. You have to bear in mind that that recipe was written in the 1960s - and we are all more aware of things like cholesterol these days. So - if I was doing it now I would use olive oil and maybe put some onions in. You learn as you go on how much oil to use - I would use 1 Tablespoon worth approx for 1 helping of something - so you could try 3 Tablespoons worth for that full quantity perhaps? I just glug a bit in and see how I go - and then add a little more if it starts "catching".

The Vegetarian Society is a good starting point for recipes. You could also try googling for "student vegetarian recipes" and see what comes up.

Edamame is young soya beans. Personally - I like them - useful lightly steamed and one can throw a few of them in a salad if wanted. As with all soya products - check it says "organic" or "not genetically modified" or words to that effect. I gather ALL soya products these days are genetically-modified unless they specifically say they arent - or are "organic". Even with that safeguard - I'm wary of having much soya. But then - I read the research t'other day which seemed to feel soya products have summat in that may "help" in the direction of lessening mental functioning as one gets older (and promptly made a mental note not to buy any more soya stuff in case....)....darn it, as tofu is quite handy.

To me - it looks like there has been a "divide" since the 1960s - with one section of the population pretty much not caring what they eat as long as its cheap and another section wanting everything as healthy as it can possibly be. There is a group of people in the middle - but I'm not sure how big it is. I have the feeling that back in the 1960s pretty much everyone was in the middle group (and many recipes were slanted accordingly) - but things have changed somewhat since then.
    This is a very much a typical "middle ground" 1960s recipe and I think needs to be taken in the context that people didnt seem to drink so much alcohol or eat so much snacky junk food as they do now. People seemed to do pretty okay on a 1960s diet - the norm then was for people to be slim-normal size. The norm now is for people to be plump-fat. It is unusual now to see, say, people in the 30plus age group being slim-normal - that was NOT the case then. One rarely saw grossly obese people - but these days one sees a noticeable number every single day - so there couldnt have been that much wrong with the 60's diet.
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    hey ceri just a quick post as its late. i think i can see where you're coming from. the only thing i can put it down to is that the 60s diet was a lot less processed, for example butter instead of marg, less snacks, it seems natural foods often contain the right proportions of nutrients compared to processed ones. it sometimes makes me wonder if being veggie and replacing meat with soya products and other processed plant based foods is a good idea. do you know what i mean?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure