PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Options

Comments

• flubdub
    flubdub Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Some of these recipes are great. Me and my son (3yrs) are veggies (although hes started eating fish fingers lately), and we eat LOADS of quorn in this house, even though DP isnt a veggie, he loves it too. Its very versatile - Quorn, mushrooms, courgettes and cheese in tortilla wraps are our fave in this house! Its v quick and easy to do - although my DP cooks all the food.
    Quorn pieces in a tikka sauce are delicious too, with pasta or rice, and only takes 15 mins.
    :)
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    i would add that because it comes out quite watery , unless i didnt have it boiling furiously enough?! then serve with naan bread to soak it up! i'm gonna try it again 2nite with rice and less water this time.... what is the definition of a curry? should it be watery or creamy? the nice ones i've had from the indian have been more creamy with a sweet sauce, i'm sure it had banana in it! was gorgeous anyway!
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    just a question some recipes in this book have minced garlic or minced chilli, does anyone know what products these are as i havent seen them in the shops?
  • helenhlns
    Options
    Minced garlic or chilli should be available in most supermarkets, home bargains often have them, it comes in a jar and is minced in oil, just use it from jar instead of fresh, keeps well.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i would add that because it comes out quite watery , unless i didnt have it boiling furiously enough?! then serve with naan bread to soak it up! i'm gonna try it again 2nite with rice and less water this time.... what is the definition of a curry? should it be watery or creamy? the nice ones i've had from the indian have been more creamy with a sweet sauce, i'm sure it had banana in it! was gorgeous anyway!

Well - I dont know whether there would be any fixed definition as such of a curry:D Some curries would be creamy - some wouldnt. The "sauce" might be more or less thick. It depends. There's balti curries, madras curries, korma curries - as I understand it.

About the only thing I wouldnt define as a curry is those very cheap supermarket curry sauces in cans - tried one the other day and found it positively revolting. Now we were talking VERY watery there and VERY sweet and yuk! Though I know some people love them - but I gave the other cans away.
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    is there any difference between chilli powder and minced chilli when adding to a recipe?

also between garlic crushed and minced garlic?

sorry i'm still learning....!
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of my favourites is cook Quorn pieces in a pan with condensed mushroom soup (dilute it a bit if you prefer) and serve with steamed rice.

Tastes just like the wild mushroom stroganof ready meal from Mr T's
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    hey
    did anyone try the potato + tomato curry? i tried it a 2nd time and put it on higher heat which resulted in a much better end result, it wasnt a pool of water this time! tasted nicer too.
    here's another one from the same book:

Pasta Pie
    Serves 4-6
    Ingredients
    1 tbsp oil
    450g leeks sliced
    1 clove garlic crushed
    4 eggs beaten
    142ml carton single cream
    125g gruyere cheese grated
    125g cooked pasta, chopped roughly
    salt and black pepper

method
    preheat oven to 180c, heat oil and fry the leeks and garlic until soft/starting to brown. mix the leeks and garlic with the remaining ingredients, season and place in a greased ovenrproof dish or tin. bake for 25-30 mins until the eggs are set and the top is golden brown. serve hot or cold in wedges.

i will try it soon, only one question, what type of pasta would you use and it could be difficult trying to roughly chop the pasta?
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :rotfl: :rotfl: Errrr....well...put it this way...I wouldnt be trying to use spaghetti ;) I would be using pasta spirals or those short-cut pasta tubes - summat like that...think the pasta bits..ie look for the type of pasta that comes in bits of approx. 1" in length.

when it comes to chopping up pasta - I just tend to get out a pair of kitchen scissors and chop madly at the bits in the saucepan as they are cooking.
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    just trying the pasta pie.. used fusilli as it seemed the most appropriate, only others i have are congiglie and spaghettie. anyway now its in the oven. only prob i had was one egg had broke in the box so rather than take a risk (not sure how long ago it cracked-might have only been a few hours-how long is ok ??) so i've added double the amount of single cream. i'll post back with results. created a fair bit of mess- pan to boil pasta, pan to fry leeks, pyrex to mix everything in, oven dish..

while i'm here - most recipes want seasoning with salt and pepper. but so far i've not done this on anything i've made. is this a good way to go about things, not seasoning to start with and just seeing how things come out without extra salt or pepper?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure