PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Options

Comments

• Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Is there nothing wrong with beans on toast or a jacket potato?

Another one is using pickles to make changes - beetroot, cabbage, gherkins, for example - as they make a difference to salads and side dishes.

Otherwise, any fresh vegetable boiled and then whizzed up in a blender with some stock - beetroot is great for that (add a bit of the vinegar from pickled beetroot and that makes it nicer), plus a small bit of sour cream, parsnips with a little cumin, potato and leek, carrot and some ground coriander, that kind of thing. Add some small noodles (or mix flour and egg yolk together to make a dough, then pinch into little bits/balls - if no eggs, use water and squish it through a clean tin where you've drilled a few holes into the soup - instant spatzle. )

Or make dumplings - half as much vegetable suet to plain flour, a bit of salt and pepper. Add mustard powder if you have it, a little thyme leaves, drop them into the broth.

Try heartier breads - rye bread, pumpernickel (very good with cheese and tomato).

Porridge made with water is supercheap. Measure it out and leave it in the pan overnight to soak, heat it up in moments in the morning (stir with a wooden spoon as you go).

Stay clear of processed veggie alternatives as much as possible. They're horrible, expensive and fatty. Except for spicy beanburgers - they're very nice.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We have easy cheap vegetarian recipes which should definitely help

The complete vegetarian collection is a huge resource of veggie threads,so happy reading :)

Ill merge this later

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy lentils/beans?
    I cant bulk buy, as i don't have the room (i live in a TINY terraced, 2 up-2 down house), and don't have any asian shops around here.

Thanks for this great thread, i have noted down some great recipes!
  • boredjellybean
    Options
    Hi there
    I did a search but I can't find a thread about vegetarian recipes & I'm sure there must be one, can someone help me out please?
    Sarah x
  • cornishchick
    Options
    Hi .
    If you go to this link, near the end is a collection of vegetarian recipes and links.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=8736367#post8736367

Hope that's a Start
    X Cc
    today's mood is brought to you by coffee, lack of sleep and idiots.

Living on my memories, making new ones.
    declutter 104/2020

November GC £96.09/£100.
    December GC £00.00/£100
  • boredjellybean
    Options
    goodness I had hoped there would be an entire massive thread dedicated to vegetarian recipes
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    I love vegetarian meals, this is one of our favourites that I made yesterday.

Lentil meatloaf
    2 cups of precooked rice
    1 1/2 cup of red lentils
    3 1/2 cups of stock
    2 diced onions
    2 minced garliccloves
    olive oil
    salt to taste
    dash of bbq sauce, I just use basics brown
    pinch of mixed herbs

Boil the lentils in the stock while you fry off the onion and garlic. Once the lentils are cooked stir everything together and pack in to a loaf tin. Bake for 40 minutes.

We love this sliced with gravy and lots of veg or just sliced with a fried egg on top with chips :) Leftovers can be used as a burger also, just add a cheese slice.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Lentil bites
    1 1/2 cups of lentils
    3 1/2 cups of stock
    pinch of chiili powder
    pinch of onion salt
    1 grated onion

Cook the lentils in the stock then mash in with the rest of the ingredients.
    Take small balls of the mixture and deep fry. This goes great with lots of different dips. Raita is our favourite with it.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    This is where i look for my vegetarian ideas :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=907357

The Ginghams threads are AMAZING too, they are in the 2nd post in that link.
  • boredjellybean
    Options
    thanks ever so much for finding this thread for me !!! will be subscribing now :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure