PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Options

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    whats the quanity of a cup please? is it 8ozs?

A cup is a measure of volume not weight. The weight of a cup will depend on what the ingredient is. A cup of flour weighs less than a cup of lentils for example.

Recipes which use cups depend on ratios so you can use any receptacle you like to measure if you don't have formal cooks measuring cups. Just use the same mug or bowl to measure out each ingredient in that recipe. But if you want the exact quantity in the recipe a UK cup contains 250mls
  • MoneyMission
    Options
    Two regulars on our dinner table:

- Roast Stuffed peppers (stuffed with black olives, mushrooms, onion, chopped toms all pre cooked together first as a sort of small stew). Chop pepper in half and pre roast for 10 mins, stuff and top with grated cheese if desired (but not necessary) and bake for 15 mins. Serve on quinoa

and

- Crusted top bean bake: two types of bean (cannellini, borlotti, black eye etc) with a dollop of red tomato pesto, chopped onion and chopped toms. Bubble away on hob gently for 15 mins then sling into an ovenproof dish and top with breadcrumbs mixed with grated cheese and bake for 15 mins.
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £2,420 / £2,420 - 100% :T
  • Gonzo1987
    Gonzo1987 Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Options
    I use a lot of quorn at the moment which I will need to stop next year, as moving over to being vegan for a while.
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Gonzo1987 wrote: »
    I use a lot of quorn at the moment which I will need to stop next year, as moving over to being vegan for a while.

By next year Vegan quorn might be on the market here, it's already available in the US. last one http://www.quorn.co.uk/faqs/
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • Gonzo1987
    Options
    By next year Vegan quorn might be on the market here, it's already available in the US. last one http://www.quorn.co.uk/faqs/

That's interesting, i'm not sure why they haven't already started producing vegan foods - as a lot of the meat free supermarket or otherwise braded stuff is also vegan friendly.
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    whats the quanity of a cup please? is it 8ozs?
    Yes it is, sorry I still use a cup :o
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    We are moving toward eating more and more veggie meals, here's some of our favourites:

Sweet potato. spinach and Chickpeas curry (I combined different recipes that only had 2 out of the 3)

"cheat risotto": Cauliflower and mix veggie thick soup & barley (with lots of barley so that it looks more like a risotto) + cheese

grilled very hard tofu (from a chines supermarket, thinly sliced, marinated in soya sauce and ginger), with grilled vegetables. My OH loved it, when I had tried tofu in the past it hadn't gone down too well...

I make a variety of soups, with different vegetable bases, then I add some protein, in the form of red lentils or mung dahl that get blitzed with the veggies, or black eyed beans/borlotti beans added afterwards. I also often add grains like rice, barley or pasta (I use spaghetti, broken up in small pieces).
    Although they are soups, they become totally different meals.

We also like roots mash, celeriac and parsnip being a favourite, half potato and half root vegetables, with cheese they become a light meal.

I haven't tried them, but Gumbo and Jambalaya with chickpeas or tofu instead of chicken would probably be very tasty.
  • Gonzo1987
    Options
    I've never tried tofu but I want to. I hear such mixed reviews about it though!
  • dandelionclock30
    Options
    The cauldron smoked tofu is nice. Otherwize if its plain it needs to be marinated really or in a strong sauce to be o.k. It tastes of little by itself.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I like filled pancakes. fillings such as brie and sundried tomatoes, ratatouille, mushrooms and cheese, rolled up topped with a little cheese and baked. or the filling can be layered between pancakes in a high sided cake tin and baked and cut into wedges.

I love jacket potatoes and salads, such as tabbouleh, feta and beetroot, ebly etc,

Spanish omelettes, or individual crustless quiches baked in muffin tins.

Vegi scotch eggs, with a spicy lentil casing (instead of the sausage meat)
    Egg and lentil curry.
    Pan haggerty.
    rumbledethumps with cheese.

I often look in supermarkets cabinets, get ideas and have a go at something similar at home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure