PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Options

Comments

• dandelionclock30
    Options
    Hello, Im interested in what other people who are vegetarian or vegan have for their teas as I get fed up of eating the same things. I dont like goats cheese and pasta so they dont feature. I also eat as healthily as possible, so no fried stuff etc.
    These are the meals I usually have have;various curries, I like vegetable with paneer cheese, vegetable stews, quorn mince bolognaise type dishes,salads, baked potatoes, quiches occassionally, roast vegetables, , shepherds pie with sweet potato on the top, califlower cheese with low fat cheddar,vege burger/vege sausage and vegatables/mash.Occasional stir fry with smoked tofu pieces.Vegetable bake with cheesy mash or plain on the top,roast dinner without the meat and a sausage/stuffing instead. Enchaladas made with borlotti beans and tomatoes in a wrap etc.Occassional home made pizza,lasagna made with augergines for the layers instead of pasta.

What do other vege/vegans have thats nice? and not full of fat?
    I'll have the odd soup but I dont have a blender so I dont make my own. Any suggestions are welcome.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Aubergine moussaka (not that different from your lasagne except for the spices) During the gourgette glut I used courgette slices instead of pasta.
    Vegetable tagines
    Mushroom bourguinonne
    Stuffed mushrooms

Your list sounds lovely

You don't need a blender for soup - you can make chunky soups. I especially love French onion, leek & potato, and any variations on sweetcorn chowder.
    If you do want a pureed soup, I really recommend an old fashioned Mouli
  • annaify
    annaify Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Last evening me and DS had HM Veggie burger(patties only) along with some steamed veg and potato salad for him and corn on the cob for me. Tonight we will be having HM chickpea curry with garlic and coriander pitta.
    You are right it can get boring being a veggie, some nights I get so fed up I give DS fishfingers or something and go to bed with a cup of Ovaltine lol.
    I will be following this thread and will post more ideas if I can think of.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    I don't think you will starve with the list you already showed us... I do a lot of stir fries also, with different sauces
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• dandelionclock30
    Options
    Im not concerned about starving, I just like a change really. Do you make the vegetable tangines with Harrisa paste? Jacky Ann?
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,577 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Would suggest you have a look at "Agirlcalledjack" website. Several vegetarian recipes on there, most of which are healthy and those that aren't (like fried stuff) can be either dry fried or use something like Frylight.

Denise
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    My OH uses cauldron sausages in stews with pumpkin/squash/sweet potato/onions etc - delicious
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    Ok we rarely eat vegetarian... The only thing we love and eat frequently at this time of year is a spicy butternut squash soup with fresh homemade rolls! It's filling (which is why we rarely eat vegetarian) and tastes amazing :)
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Lentil meatloaf
    2 cups of precooked rice
    1 1/2 cup of red lentils
    3 1/2 cups of stock
    2 diced onions
    2 minced garliccloves
    olive oil
    salt to taste
    dash of bbq sauce, I just use basics brown
    pinch of mixed herbs

Boil the lentils in the stock while you fry off the onion and garlic. Once the lentils are cooked stir everything together and pack in to a loaf tin. Bake for 40 minutes.

We love this sliced with gravy and lots of veg or just sliced with a fried egg on top with chips :) Leftovers can be used as a burger also, just add a cheese slice.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Funky_Bold_Ribena
    Options
    I look at what I've got in and make some sort of meal around that...mainly because I grow most of my own food so what's there is what we eat.
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure