PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Options

Comments

• Buddingblonde
    Buddingblonde Posts: 837 Forumite
    Options
    I am a veggie and I make veggie toad in the hole either with veg sausages or with large chunks of mushrooms, red onions and peppers.
    Sweetcorn fritters are lovely - corn, onion, pepper, paprika, egg and flour -chop all the veg to the same size, make batter with the other ingredients, season and then either pop spoonfulls on a baking sheet and cook in the oven or drop them into a frying pan and cook. You can use anything in the fritters, cooked potato cubes with corn, peans and onion make lovely burgers if you make big enough drops.
    baked feta is yummy with roast veg. Take a block of feta cheese, rub with olive oil and chopped garlic and mixed italian herbs - wrap in foil and bake for 10/15 mins and serve with roast veg, salad and crusty bread - yummy!
    Quesadillas are nice too - lay a wrap flat and cover with grated cheese, spring onion, pepper slices, put another wrap on top and then toast on each side so that the cheese melts and goes yummy and gooey.
    Large mushrooms drizzled with olive oil and garlic slices and roasted in the oven are lovely as burgers.
    Griddled aubergine slices stacked with mozarella, tomato and basil cooked in the oven and served with a tomato sauce and cous cous is divine.
    Plain cous cous made up with mint tea (rather than stock or plain hot water) with crumbled feta, sliced olives, cucumber cubes and cherry toms with a drizzle of olive oil - v tasty. Could be served with lamb chops for non veggies and maybe some bread or quorn for the veggie.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    In addition to Pinks links, the complete vegetarian collection may also help

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• raphanius
    raphanius Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    heres one i found on MSE earlier http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/ we arent vegetarian but we do work around a veg box each week thus eating a predominantly veggie diet.
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • Racheldevon
    Racheldevon Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    There's a really good book by good house keeping, called step by step vegetarian cooking or something like that - it's got loads of receipes, step by step pictures and lovely food.

BBC good food is also useful - you can also just type in an ingredient you have lots of and it'll come up with receipes - if it's a meat one just adapt it with veggie alternatives
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh wow brilliant replies, thanks very much. Plenty of ideas here x
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I cook both these recipes a lot, my kids love them. I actually make a Slimming World version of the Jamie Oliver Melanzane Parmigiani, the Pasta Pie recipe is also Slimming World. I also do a lot of roast veg with Bulgur Wheat plus whatever meat/fish i'm having, but it's lovely on it's own too.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10468/melanzane-parmigiana

Pasta Pie Recipe

8 spring onions, finely sliced
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
    6 tbsp bottled roasted red peppers,
    drained and finely chopped
    4 eggs, beaten
    198g/7oz very low fat natural fromage frais
    127g/4½oz reduced fat Cheddar
    cheese, grated
    255g/9oz cooked macaroni
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.

2. In a bowl mix the spring onions and garlic with all the remaining ingredients, season well and place in a medium-sized non-stick cake tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the eggs have set and the top is golden brown.
  • Racheldevon
    Racheldevon Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    Another cheap option is a bean bake

Fry an onion with some garlic/herbs, tin of tomatoes etc to create a cheap tomato sauce, add wo tins of drained pulses ( I use bolotti and cannellini beans) - or use dried equivalent. Whizz up a couple slices of bread to make breadcrumbs, add some cheese to it, scatter over the top and bake for 15-20 mins. Reheats really well for lunches, and freezes well too.

Also, aubergines are two for a £1 in tesco at the moment...
    Cut into lengthways strips, griddle/fry each side until cooked, remove from the pan. Separately fry an onion & garlic, add a tin of chopped tomatoes. When the aubergine has cooled, spread each slice with a small amount of pesto, add a small slice of mozerella, and roll. Place in an over proof dish, cover with the sauce, and scatter with cheese, bake for 20 mins - again good reheated
  • niccatw
    niccatw Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a wee look at Vegatarian Living's recipe page too: http://www.vegetarianliving.co.uk/recipes.php?do=overview

I often get a roll of puff pastry, roll it all out, fill it with various veg and roast... quick, easy and looks fairly impressive. Favourite fillings are caramalised onion and goats cheese and butternut squash (already half roasted) and feta, but anything goes. I usually like some kind of sauce across it so it's not too dry (I often cheat with the caramelised onion one and use a relish.). Serve it with couscous, bugalr wheat or quinoa salads. Mmmmmm!

Risotto is another favourite. Again, I fling any veg in (depending what's in the veggie box). Usually sun dried tomatoes and pine nuts. Or veggie sausages (my favourite of them are sun dried tomato) and onion.
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Heres my sons favourite recipe.
    Vege bean pasties.
    I pack ready rolled puff pastry
    1 tin mixed beans. drained
    4 spring onions chopped
    1 red pepper chopped into small pieces
    100g grated cheese
    few sprinkles of chilli flakes.
    beaten egg for sealing and glazing.

Roll out pastry
    mix cheese, beans, pepper and chilli flakes together .
    Make pasties sealing with the egg.
    Bake for 25 mins (you can put some grated cheese on pastry as they are baking)

Another I like is
    2 aubergines
    1 mozzarella ball
    Basil leaves
    tub tomato pasta sauce
    parmesan or cheddar

Slice aubergine and griddle/bake or lightly fry the slices.
    slice mozzarella.
    Make layers of aubergine, pasta sauce, mozzarella and basil leaves. (in a casserole type dish)
    Finish with aubergine
    Top with a little grated parmesan or cheddar
    Bake in oven for about 40 mins.

It is better the following day reheated. Serve with crusty bread and salad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure