Signing up for call1899/18866/18185

Options

Comments

• worldwheeler
    worldwheeler Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, I am currently on Post Office Home Phone as a provider through a BT line, but with line rental paid to PO and not BT. I am looking to change provider but does anyone know if there is a list of home phone provider contracts that allow access to use other carriers? IE using pre-dial over-rides such as 1899 or 18866. Can anyone advise?
    main stream media is a propaganda machine for the establishment.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I am looking to change provider but does anyone know if there is a list of home phone provider contracts that allow access to use other carriers? IE using pre-dial over-rides such as 1899 or 18866. Can anyone advise?
    Only those with a BT landline (i.e. paying rental to BT) are guaranteed access to prefix-dial (1899, 18185 etc.), gateway and CPS providers.

Any other firm re-selling (WLR) or LLU a landline can - and many do - bar such access.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • eagle
    eagle Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

I have just left 18866 for 18185 and it seems I am worse off (with regards to calling international numbers).

Whilst 18185 may have cheaper rates advertised on its website, the free call rate message I get before the call is connected seems to indicate that the call is 300% more expensive than the advertised cost on their site!! This is an absolute rip off.

The destination concerned is 'cyprus mobile'. Advertised rate 5p/min, actual rate 15p/min. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • Heinz
    Options
    eagle wrote: »
    Whilst 18185 may have cheaper rates advertised on its website, the free call rate message I get before the call is connected seems to indicate that the call is 300% more expensive than the advertised cost on their site!! This is an absolute rip off.

The destination concerned is 'cyprus mobile'. Advertised rate 5p/min, actual rate 15p/min. Has anyone else noticed this?
    18185's website shows that, using the 18185 prefix (i.e. on a BT landline), the rate is 5p/minute.

However, their website also shows that, using their 0808 1 703 703 or 020 81 80 2828 gateway numbers (i.e. on a cable landline or from a mobile), the rate is 15p/minute.

Which are you using?

EDIT 17:31 May 29 2007 - from eagle's lack of response, I assume he/she has a cable landline and was using the 0808 gateway number (on which 15p/minute is the published price).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Infidel
    Infidel Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Options
    I just got an email from call18866 (and the other one) to say that they no longer accept switch/maestro payments. :-(
    Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.
  • Heinz
    Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    I just got an email from call18866 (and the other one) to say that they no longer accept switch/maestro payments. :-(
    Which may be a blessing in disguise because it's far safer to opt for direct debit payments anyway.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=256
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    Options
    Whats the quality of calls via bt line? I'm on virgin media at the moment and thinking about leaving
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    Quality is fine most of the time, they do have problems every now and then but it dont last long and when you do you can still use BT so it's not a problem.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    Options
    I recieved my invoice from 1899 today 1st june at 5 35am. It states on it that it will be taken out of my account on or just after 1st June. This is a bit late notice isnt it? My transactions on any day go out at 3am in the morning with my bank so sending me an email on 1st June at 5.35am is not going to cover that.

I didnt have the amount in this morning to cover the bill arent they supposed to give so many days notice? I hope this has not sent me overdrawn I wont know for a few days

How much notice should they give is it by law?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Heinz
    Options
    Lady_K wrote: »
    I recieved my invoice from 1899 today 1st june at 5 35am. It states on it that it will be taken out of my account on or just after 1st June. This is a bit late notice isnt it?
    It may say that - but it doesn't happen. Normally, 8 to 10 days elapse before 1899, 18185 and 18866's direct debit calls arrive at the bank.

My last 18185 invoice arrived by e-mail on 2/5/07 but the DD call was made on 11/5/07.

My last 1899 invoice arrived by e-mail on 25/4/07 but the DD call was made on 04/5/07.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure