PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mr_and_mrs_t
    mr_and_mrs_t Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks kiwi 88 for the really useful links you have given for loads of recipes. I won't know where to start! Have saved it to favourites and will have a go at flapjacks first I reckon!
    Thanks to you all for the great recipes!
    Mr and mrs t
  • Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello

Can I join you ??? I am also hoping to re-join the Fly lady thread :)

DH starts new job tomorrow - it is full time (been off sick because of ME) whch means the running of the house and budgets are down to me. We have 3 children 6, 4 ad 7 months. I have quite bad PND at the moment which isn't helping matters but I am determined I can do this.

I usually shop with the Child Benefit and then extras. CB is due in on 13th May and then again 10th June - so am I on the right thread ???

So up until the 13th is 1 week and I dont really need a lot (though the freezer is nearly empty and I panick everytime I look in there :() I bake all our bread, etc so hoping I will only need milk and baby milk for this 1 week.

BUDGET for 5th to 13th will be £20 (allowing for some emergencies)

I am hoping then that the budget for 13th May to 10th June will be £200 for the 5 of us and doggie !!!

Hope this is all ok :)

T xx
  • Sosh
    Sosh Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Have just got back from our weekend away and just wanted to check in before trawling though all the posts I've missed.

Quite a successful weekend, in that we only had to spend £2.29, although, some of that was on milk, which we didn't need. That'l teach me to send dh!
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children. :j
  • Jvic28
    Jvic28 Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi jVic28

Don't know if its any help but there are some on line butchers that take paypal..
    i can't find the link to the one i used ... but i have found this one :-

http://www.clarebarry.co.uk/

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Might be useful.

x
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member No 190
    17/05/08 - Total on DMP: £10025.70
    07/05/14 - Total on DMP: £1666.20 DFD: July 2017!!
    Baby Tomos born 5th June 2009 - 6lb 5oz :j
    Weight Loss Target - to lose 60.8lb by NYE 2015 - 37.6lb TO GO
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    OH is making Chill Con Carne for and smells delish. DD wanted scrambled egg as she wasnt too hungry, so she is fed and watered.

DD is making up 2 Betty Crocker mixes that we bought from the 99p store and need using up. One lot of Apple Muffins and the other is a tray of toffee choccie brownies...yummy!

Have run out of salad and ham today. So may go to Aldi or Morrisons for Veg, fruit, salad and ham tomorrow. Have to take a top back that I bought for a funeral last week and didnt wear and there are both supermarkets right next door. May treat OH to breakie and share it with him. Have £4.00 in vouchers, so shouldnt be too much depending on what offers there are there that we need.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Phoolgrrrl Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Well I think we will go over this month. First month and will be £40 less than before GC at least.Think I underestimated considering it's a 5 week month. Got loads of meat on offer so we have enough mince and fish for next month which is good. Plus stocked up on rice.
    Have meal planned for the month and reckon we only need milk, bread and fruit weekly to top up, 2 tins of coconut milk and chicken for 3 dinners. Might need to get veg during the month and maybe pizza. Think we will come in at about £165 this month, £25 over. Major downfall is beer for OH I think, about £6-10 a week!

Also I bought the wrong yeast for the BM, I got the allison one you add water to, what can I do with it please?HM Pizza?
  • mummyleads
    mummyleads Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    as last mt was really bad but this mt gona try really hard for £400 please
    allso if any one has any recipes for flapjack please could i have them please
    i have dislexia sorry about my spelling :eek:
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    I forgot to say that we had a leaflet from our milkman this morning offering us a deal on Hovis bread 800g. If we order 4, we get the 5th free and this will work out to 82p a loaf.....so I am going to order a loaf for the next 5 weeks on a Friday, so we have fresh bread for the weekend. Our milkman bill is only £2.20 a week and for that we get 4 pints a week and a bottle of Ginger beer for OH.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • dawnylou
    dawnylou Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi all, my budget again is £200....
    but just wondered...... do you include your alcohol in this?

We don't usually buy much alcohol but we have had friends staying so did buy £20 worth....
    Dream of being mortgage free....
    APR 2007 - £109,825 FEB 2012 - £98,664.53:beer:

• JennyBee_2
    JennyBee_2 Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    Goodness! I feel quite exhausted after going through 13 pages!!

Someone asked about the little kenwood chopper - I know my mum ordered one from amazon which seemed to have stock but it's still not been delivered (about 4 weeks I think) so it would appear that they don't!

I am now officially back in the land of GC after my sister's wedding. I'm sure you'll all be thrilled to know that I was a gorgeous bridesmaid (although it took a £14 spray tan and 6 hours of getting ready to manage it!!) and I've eaten more food than if I had intended on going into hibernation!

Am trawling the internet for free samples of toiletries to take on holiday rather than buying travel sizes of things. Got some simple derma handcream and some nivea for men moisturiser so far. Toothpaste is next on the list!

Should be a good couple of NSDs for us as we've got everything we need at the moment. hopefully we can last til the weekend :)

By the way - we had a bbq yesterday and got the burgers freshly made from the butchers....35p each which I didn't think was too bad! Especially because you knew exactly what was in them! :)
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 £79.04/£150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills