in Crafting
746 replies 81.4K views

Replies

• mapleleaf1010mapleleaf1010 Forumite
    256 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Gold_Dust wrote: »
    I'm usually one for ebay as I don't really care about what happens to the box beyond the initial gifting, but have you tried a stationers? Or a party supply shop? I'm thinking that small gift boxes like the ones you're describing would cross over into the wedding sector.

I hadn't thought about researching the wedding sector or a party supply shop! Thanks for that! :j

I tried eBay but haven't managed to find what I want yet.
  • savvysavvy Forumite, Board Guide
    31.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully one day soon! My wire-wrap ring was hilariously bad (I used the top of an Issey Miyake bottle as a mandrel :rotfl:) but it's something I want to be decent at, so I'm going to try again, soon. Join me! :D
    Well you're one step ahead of me, cos that's not what I'd have used a mandrel for.......I'd have used it as a perfume bottle stopper ;):rotfl::rotfl:

I would join you, but I don't even know whare to start! :o
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to [email protected]. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Gold_Dust_2Gold_Dust_2 Forumite
    471 Posts
    ✭✭
    I hadn't realised that anyone had replied on here!
    I hadn't thought about researching the wedding sector or a party supply shop! Thanks for that! :j

I tried eBay but haven't managed to find what I want yet.
    You're welcome! Any luck?
    savvy wrote: »
    Well you're one step ahead of me, cos that's not what I'd have used a mandrel for.......I'd have used it as a perfume bottle stopper ;):rotfl::rotfl:

I would join you, but I don't even know whare to start! :o
    :p @ mandrel

Here's what I was trying, and failing to do:

http://youtu.be/uvhgv0iVj_Y

And it went very wrong. All you need is a spool or two of wire of the right gauges, a bead, and something to wrap it all around. The rest is just the usual wire-work pliers, and some finesse. Which I obviously lack :rotfl:.
  • savvysavvy Forumite, Board Guide
    31.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it went very wrong. All you need is a spool or two of wire of the right gauges, a bead, and something to wrap it all around. The rest is just the usual wire-work pliers, and some finesse. Which I obviously lack :rotfl:.
    You make it sound soooo simple though!! :eek::o
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to [email protected]. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
    471 Posts
    ✭✭
    Good, because that's how I want to view it! :p I spent years telling myself that this kind of stuff was too hard and that I'd have to be a dedicated, die-hard hobbyist who had learned from a professional before I could do it, but the reality is that it's more fun to just have a go.

Materials and tools are relatively inexpensive and go a long way too, so whether I succeed or fail it doesn't really matter, as long as I've had a bash :D.

Is that you in your display pic, btw? You look like one of my colleagues at my new workplace :p - how weird would it be if we turned out to be colleagues?! We could make some jewellery together :D
  • PurplerosesPurpleroses Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    yay so glad this thread is up and running again. I love jewellery making, have been for about 6 years now.

The one thing when making rings, start off a size or 2 bigger than you need as it tends to shrink as you work it. If you're making them to sell then a mandrel is great so you can get exact size. you can get stainless steel ones for a decent price online, they last years and you can also hammer onto them :) xx
    471 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thank you, those are really useful tips! I've heard that a steel mandrel can scratch the rings, is that true? And is there anything that I could substitute for a nylon hammer? Is a hammer even essential?

Any pics of your makes? :D
  • PurplerosesPurpleroses Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    i've never had a problem with the steel mandrel. I guess a hammer isn't really needed. Depends on the style of ring you make if its one with just wire I tend to give it a whack with the hammer (on the mendrel) to work harden the wire.

Just making more stock for the craft fairs so can post some up sometime :)
    471 Posts
    ✭✭
    I bought loads of stuff from the craft fair yesterday, but I couldn't get a hold of a mandrel. Now I'm waiting for it to be delivered....taking too long!
  • edited 7 April 2014 at 1:37PM
    GrimbalGrimbal Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 April 2014 at 1:37PM
    Hi there, had a quick search of the forums but nothing came up so I hope you don't mind me asking on here!

I was wondering if there was a thread that allowed members to share links II know there's rules on MSE about this sort of thing) - I'd really like to get a wider audience to my facebook page. I've just started making & selling jewellery after leaving my job last year, so would appreciate any pointers how I can expand my page views !
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News