Jewellery making anyone??

in Crafting
746 replies 81.4K views

Replies

• Gold_Dust_2Gold_Dust_2 Forumite
    471 Posts
    ✭✭
    Sorry for the late reply Sally, I don't really have a 'supplier' per se, but my first set of glass pearl beads came from this ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ruby9868 and they are fine, not many are chipped etc., hope that helps. A commendable venture indeed!
  • PurplerosesPurpleroses Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    SallyUK wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good source for just ordinary coloured pearl beads. I'm making and selling bracelets for a little girl's cancer appeal as she has Neuroblastoma and her family need to raise £500,000 to get her to America for treatment. I"m going through lots of beads!
    Thanks

Sal
    x

If its the glass/plastic colour pearls Angs Attic (their website is better than their ebay page) have the best range and quality i've found anyway.

Good luck :)
    471 Posts
    ✭✭
    Best place to buy sterling silver wire?
  • cazmanian_minxcazmanian_minx Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Home: 06/08: £145,145.00 Currently: £106,249.36 Amount paid off: £38,895.64 (26.8%)
    Ethel's: 05/18: £99,000.00 Currently: £99,000.00 Amount paid off: £0 (0.0%)
    Tor: 05/18: £82,500.00 Currently: £82,500.00 Amount paid off: £0 (0.0%)
    Debt-free: 17/02/2017
    471 Posts
    ✭✭
    Have you bought from them before?
  • cazmanian_minxcazmanian_minx Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, but they're both long-established companies with very good reputations and supply to the professional jewellery trade rather than just to hobbyists.
    Home: 06/08: £145,145.00 Currently: £106,249.36 Amount paid off: £38,895.64 (26.8%)
    Ethel's: 05/18: £99,000.00 Currently: £99,000.00 Amount paid off: £0 (0.0%)
    Tor: 05/18: £82,500.00 Currently: £82,500.00 Amount paid off: £0 (0.0%)
    Debt-free: 17/02/2017
  • shegirlshegirl Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Hello ladies!

Been making jewellery for a few years on and off,one of my true hobbies.It is expensive though!However,resetting up my business (previously to cover hobby costs only) well,because I can lol and it is fun and shall have my mini workshop ready to go soon :) Lots of planning though if I'm going to do it properly.I want to but whether I will is a different matter lol

Anyway,aswell as beading,which is where I started (semi precious mainly),I also do precious metal clay,sheet metal (silver and copper) using various tools and basic 'silversmithing' (untaught),wire work including links,precious and semi precious stone setting and occasional polymer.Looking into glass fusion and glass clay with microwave killing if poss,problem is I can't do it in the house with my parrot so would need to use lean to utility at the least and it's not very big lol*sighs*

Thankfully my 'business name' reflects my range of materials and styles lol

Be warned,jewellery making can be seriously addictive.Shop around too!When I first started making I spent hundreds on beads then a friend started shipping semi precious beads in from India at crazy low prices!!!

Funny thing though,I love making jewellery and designing it but I'm not really a jewellery wearer!
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
  • Bluebell68Bluebell68 Forumite
    162 Posts
    Shegirl do you have a website or pictures of your jewellery would love to see them
    Secrets And Lies Destroy Lives
  • Bluebell68Bluebell68 Forumite
    162 Posts
    Hi
    when I make polymer clay beads I want to put silver 925 inserts in them do I cook the inserts with the clay?
    or do I put it in after
    thank you
    Secrets And Lies Destroy Lives
  • edited 4 May 2014 at 8:04PM
    shegirlshegirl Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    edited 4 May 2014 at 8:04PM
    Bluebell68 wrote: »
    Shegirl do you have a website or pictures of your jewellery would love to see them

Not yet but will do in a month or so :) relatively new to the silversmithing side but will be doing a course at a local workshop/gallery in October to increase skills :D Really looking forward to that as I often have ideas that I can't actually make yet because I don't know how to:o But I can do the things I can for now and also add some simpler bits to increase selling chances!

Got charity connection sorted,so some advertising will come there.

Just decided on packaging too,turquoise leatherette.But can't decide on sleeve and ribbon colour.hmm

I'm all excited now and keep accidentally finding inspiration and coming up with new ideas while trying to focus on planning.

Do you think it will work,at least to start,to have say three different 'ranges' as in tiers,of materials and price?Bit like designers with couture and diffusion ranges etc?
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides